• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on the Viper (stock)

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Getting tons of questions on the Viper, so here you go.. a first ride report:

Stock Viper MTX 153 (turbo coming soon!)

We went out on Saturday expecting a road ride, just go put miles on. A few miles up the road I started seeing enough snow off the side of everyone's trail to get a few little carves in here and there. Now mind you, there is very little snow so you would think very difficult to carve right? Well, first crack of the throttle and shift of my weight and I’m up on one ski doing a 90* turn before I know it. Insert grinning, giggling little girl photo here.. because that is exactly what happened! A light bulb came on… after a fall of being beat up by all the nay sayers about how heavy this sled is compared to the PRO it left a girl a bit gun shy (as much as I hate to admit that, human after all I guess?) After that first carve… all doubt began to fade away. We finally reach an open field that looked safe enough with only MAYBE 2' of snow in it to go test a few full on powder curls. After a few minutes of nonstop carving I cut too tight and flopped over. This was my first lesson in the 4 stroke world… they don’t like this. The oil pump then has to be primed by cycling the key. This was my first phone call to Outlaw Motorsports with a problem, luckily in the immediate future it was an easy fix. In the long term, we’ll be installing a roll over valve and a tether.

Further up the trail I get to put it to the first test of a downhill to uphill carve, throttle side (which is most people’s more difficult side to maneauver) and I go to wrong foot forward (funny part of the story is my right foot is now on Linda’s hood as I had parked next to her) and immediately the sled rolls over in response. I so wish you could video the inside of this girls brain because at that moment when I successfully completed the maneauver back up hill I was full on goosebumps and doing a happy dance.

This sled is very responsive to rider input. I quickly found that if I adjusted my feet position it made a difference. I’m used to being all the way up forward but this sled responds easier/ faster with the feet a little ways back on the boards. It feels nicely balanced and carving back and forth is pretty effortless. Got to play in some trees and creek beds for a bit, feels pretty stinking nimble in these tight quarters.

Throttle response is instant both on and off the throttle. I found out very quickly that grabbing a handful of throttle and instantly letting off results in a mountain bar to the ovaries. Don’t do that. I’ll obviously need to adjust the use of my throttle upon installation of the turbo.

The power feels good. However to just point straight up and go (in it’s stock form) I didn’t feel as comfortable with pushing my limits, but give me some wiggle room to zig and zag and I should be able to get there!

Sidehills are smooth, you can hold a line nicely, no porpoise’n.

Fuel economy… well, not sure what to think here. It seemed a bit thirsty… maybe that changes after break in? Like trucks?

So, that is it for the first ride... can't wait for more!

profile_zps34545d5e.jpg

fxr7_zps2f09fdeb.jpg

fxr4_zps5183e633.jpg

fxr2_zps988df416.jpg

S

SNOW 365

Nov 28, 2007
Walla Walla Wa
You were up at tollgate huh? Jeanette said she saw that on facebook. Sounds like the viper is the real deal! Glad to see your are liking the new ride. Those guy's at outlaw are awesome to deal with.

2dedge

Lifetime Membership
Aug 27, 2011
Do you care to make a comparison to other sleds you have ridden/owned?

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
You were up at tollgate huh? Jeanette said she saw that on facebook. Sounds like the viper is the real deal! Glad to see your are liking the new ride. Those guy's at outlaw are awesome to deal with.

Yup, friends surprise birthday party!

Fuel economy, could that be because the tank is small.
I had a 14 Viper and just picked up my 15 MTX and noticed that the fuel tank capacity is now 33.8 liters or 8.94 US gallons. I could have sworn my 14 held more.

I knew the tank was small.. but it seemed to use allot of fuel in a short(er) ride. But then I was full throttle ALLOT.. lol We'll see how it shakes out.

Do you care to make a comparison to other sleds you have ridden/owned?

I have ridden everything... so that is allot of comparisons... I like the handling over a Doo and a Cat (sounds funny huh since it is a Cat chassis?) The Pro is still the most nimble sled, to me. I think I'll be able to maneauver this in just as tight of spots as I did my PRO. Especially in powder... like I said, it is very sensitive to rider input.

Where this sled will be different is the length of my day will be shorter until I get all these 4stroke muscles up to speed. I went into this with my eyes wide open, I KNOW that the weight and the power once the turbo is installed will tire me out faster than my lighter PRO. But the fun and less maintenance are going to out weight those points. And I honestly believe that if you learn to finesse the sled (any sled) you use less energy, less muscle and then your days get longer too. I'll be learning to finesse this sled, already see some of it's likes and dislikes.

Shattered1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 10, 2012
Juneau, AK
And I honestly believe that if you learn to finesse the sled (any sled) you use less energy, less muscle and then your days get longer too. I'll be learning to finesse this sled, already see some of it's likes and dislikes.

I absolutely agree. Knowing how your sled is going to react is key and seat time is the only way to acquire that knowledge.

Another thing that you'll notice (if you haven't already) is that you have a ton of torque to work with. Learning to manage the torque will make things much easier.

I remember when I first started sledding, I would be exhausted in a short period of time. It probably didn't help that my first sled was a RX1 (arguably the heaviest, least rider friendly mountain sled ever made) and the fact that I didn't get into mountain riding until I was in my 40's probably didn't help either. But something happened in the second season that I rode it. It became easy. So much so that I didn't feel like I was getting a workout from riding it. After I learned to stop fighting the sled and let the throttle and torque do the heavy lifting, it became nearly effortless.

I suspect you will love it once you get used to how it behaves. And once you get boost, you'll like it even more.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I knew the tank was small.. but it seemed to use allot of fuel in a short(er) ride. But then I was full throttle ALLOT.. lol We'll see how it shakes out.
I have not taken the time to verify this yet, but mine SEEMS to be the same. "Feels" like it is drinking a LOT of gas..

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
I have not taken the time to verify this yet, but mine SEEMS to be the same. "Feels" like it is drinking a LOT of gas..

I agree. I just figured it had to be the turbo kit adding additional fueling. I was riding with a couple of buddies on XM turbo's, doing 50/50 boondocking/hillclimbing. I seem to use every bit if not more fuel than they did! I figured the 4s would be better on fuel :( The upside it that I'm only paying for pump fuel while they are paying for race fuel!

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
Oddly enough I thought mine did well on gas for the conditions. 37 miles and it showed about a half tank. Should get out soon as a Strom is coming through tonight and tomorrow.

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
What are the dislikes?

First one, it doesn't like the rider all the way up and over the handlebars (how I'm use to riding). I really had to muscle it when in that position. Move back and the sled shifted with my weight more freely.

It doesn't like to be rolled... ;)

It doesn't like choppy throttle.... lol (ovaries are still sore)

I need more time on it (Stating the obvious?) but sometimes it felt like it didn't want to be countersteer'd.

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
The viper won't run if the oil pump isn't primed. A few people have had to cycle the key a few times to reset it and to get the sled to fire after a roll over.

When I dumped mine upside down it didn't leak oil and fired right up, but I did have a couple crank but no fire after a side hill and some pow turns. A few key cycles and it was fine.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
It took me a while to get used to the engine braking on the nytro but after a while I subconsciously keep the throttle open just a little and it doesn't do it any more.

Like you said. Just need to get used to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

motojunkie101

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I felt like the deceleration was more severe on the viper than my nytro. I thought the nytro pcm would feed the engine just a little more fuel when the throttle was chopped to help it coast instead of getting you in the baby maker.

Last edited:
Premium Features