• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Experienced IQR owners please!

Z
Dec 27, 2013
I bought a 2011 Polaris IQR 600 this year and would love some help from experienced owners! Coming from an Arctic Cat backround I have to say I absolutely love the sled! I'm a very aggressive rider and could not be happier with how it rides. I live in southern Minnesota (New Ulm) and my favorite thing to do is bang ditches and sit on a hill with a few good hits and lines and play all day. That being said I do ride trails half of the time and that is where I'm running into issues. Outside of the 8.8 gal. gas tank and the added heat exchanger and boogie wheels I purchased from JS Powersports, the sled is stock.

The major problem on my hands is the gas consumption, I bought the sled with an 8.8 tank but I am still having a lot of trouble getting around. The previous owner had a 490 main jet and he was running the timing on E. before the season started and after talking with Nate from JS Powersports we switched to a 460 main and brought the timing to G. The sled ran terribly, we put the 490s back in and worked with the timing until we found it worked best at F. The sled runs awesome but it loads up the second you let it idle.

We are looking into gearing right now, the sled comes stock with a 19 top 45 bottom and a 76 pitch chain. I would rather not buy a new chain so we are going to try a 20 top and 43 bottom. we are hoping this will help with gas mileage as well as keeping up when riding at higher speeds on the trails.

So I'm looking for ways to gain MPG as well as make it as quick as possible without having to worry about blowing it up.
I understand that these are high maintenance machines but I am trying to make this sled as low maintenance as possible.

I was looking into Dial-A-Jet as well as Tempa-Flow and was wondering what opinions there were on this and which had the best results.
also looking for clutching suggestions.
Looking for any suggestions/ideas you guys have.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Dude, what elevation are you? I ran 360 mains from 4,000 up and I don't think it started to load up until about 10,000'. I also believe I ran timing on D. Bikeman can tell ya about the timing dial. I think it was about 2 degrees advance for every letter you move, beings A or B being the most advanced. The guy I bought it from told me strictly to leave that dial alone. But I run 91/92 octane. I think that's because of a head/dome change. What head do you run? I think your timing could use adjustment if your using the same "trail" head that I ran. And I think your jets are way too fat. 800 kits shouldn't even need that kind of fuel. Where are your needles set? :devil:

Z
Dec 27, 2013
Im running the sled from 0-4000 altitude, it's a 600. Today we went to a 460 main and a 55 pilot, we also stepped the timing up E. The needle is on position #2. We also brought the bottom gear down to a 43 tooth. we seemed to have gained a lot in the mid range, still loads up a bit but a huge improvement.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Ya know come to think of it, mine kinda did the same thing towards the end of its life as a 600. Beings as low as you are in elevation I won't be of so much help but I would venture to guess you could carefully lean it out a bit, especially when your near 4k'. Let me check my dial tomorrow and I'll tell you where my timing was set. Also, I'm still curious if you have the race head on it. Not that this much matters, I'd just like to know if we're comparing apples to apples. Also would like to know what clutch weights and rpm you turn. This might be critical to your fuel consumption. If that all checks out, maybe you just need to replace the idle jets to get it to stop loading up.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Run it in position E. I had strict orders to only run timing position E on the 600. I want you to be taching 8400-8600 under full load and full throttle. If your not there, you need to drop some clutch weight because that ignition is so far advanced at 7500-8000 that it well cause a lean spot.

Z
Dec 27, 2013
Clutch weights and head are both stock. I was under the impression that we did not have to change the heads on the newer IQR's? Sled engages at about 4600RPM. Do you use a tempa flow or dial-a-jet by chance? If so what's your opinion? Back to the elevation, to narrow it down it is extremely rare that I would be above 1500 feet.

-Also I'm running the sled anywhere between 0 and 32 degrees

Last edited:

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
Hold it pinned on a good pull with some traction and watch that tach. I need to know maximum peak rpm under a load. You may be right about the head, yours is 2 years newer than mine. I dont use a vari-flow or any sory of compensator, I was looking into this as well but you have a narrow enough window, you shouldn't need one. We ride between 4,000 & 12,000 :) lol. Your also probably closer to jetted correctly than I thought. I'm surprised the elevation is that low. Have you had any other idle jets in it? Its hard for me to remember but I think thats what I run is 55's, in the 600 or 800. Now, if your clutch weights are stock, they should be marked 10-58. Take the belt off, compress your primary, and carefully flip a weight out and read the numbers. I think you will want to stick with a 10- profile, they seem to work the best and be the most common. -58 means that it is a 58 gram weight. If you are only able to get to say 8100, 8200 rpm, try some 10-56 weights. Also look at your primary spring color. 4600 might be a lil tight but thats ok. I used a black one with a small black stripe the whole time it was a 6. I wanna say mine engaged between 4,200 & 4,300. I think your on the right track tho. I have fuel consumption problems too and NEED to carry 5 gallons. Needless to say, I'm stol the first to run out lol. How many miles do you think the sled has logged? Maybe the carbs just need gone through. These lil sixes rip tho and mine was soo reliable. I changed plugs once in three long hard years. No belts, no nothin - best sled I ever owned. I really want this thing to preform for you, theyre awesome sleds!

C
Oct 19, 2013
All 2008 and up 600 IQRs have "low comp heads" from the factory that allow them to run anything from 91 to 100 octane with jetting and timing box changes.

I'd think you are fairly rich still on the jetting, but do not have a chart off the top of my head. I netted appx 10 mpg yesterday of hard trail riding 600-1000' with 430 mains, timing on F, 91 oct mixed 32:1, with 1oz of klotz octane booster per gallon.
I feel I may still be 1-2 MJ sizes too rich but need to confirm this. Drop down a size and check your piston wash and plugs till your satisfied. You might also want to try some higher octane fuel, blended race and pump fuel mixed to 95-96 octane, timing on D or E is supposed to be one of the best all around setups.

There's alot more info for IQRs over on HCS on the poo race forum, might want to check over there.

Z
Dec 27, 2013
Ratio Right

-What ratio are these sleds supposed to be mixed at?
I was told 50:1. I am running mine at 40:1 to be safe with AMSOIL Interceptor and 91 non-oxygenated (no ethanol) gas. What tank do you have on your sled? I have an 8.8 and we just mounted a 2gal auxilery tank on the back (so 10.8 total gallons) also what are your thoughts on oil injection and would this save on oil or gas?

-On the clutching, we put a Black/almond spring in and I will have to check the weights this weekend, I go to school and work away from home.

Thanks for all the help!

Last edited:
C
Oct 19, 2013
50:1 Is the leanest I would ever go with any two stroke motor, unless your racing sno-x or short drags. I mix 32:1 but have heard others mixing 40 or 50:1 with no issues but these are a faster spinning higher RPM race motor so why chance it over a couple ounces of oil per fillup.

Ive got the 12.5 gal trail tank to get some range out of it when I need it. Im premixing and do not really for see myself going to oil injection(at least this winter) unless I can find a great deal on the parts.

The earlier 440's 600's had some issues getting oil to the center crank bearing with just premix during trail riding or xc racing type conditions. But these motors were not specifically intended for steady throttle applications, just short WOT runs of sno-x.

Take what you will from it but I feel safe running with just pre-mix, some others do not and hence forth why they put on oil injection. You would need an oil tank from the 600rr, oil pump, lines and need to disassemble and have the cases machined to accept the oil check valves.

Oil injected sleds blow up, pre mixers blow up, 800's, 600's, CFIs, ETECS etc... injecting is not a failsafe but it MAY be a good preventative measure.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
I ran 40:1 for 3 years except when I was breaking it in, than I was at 32:1 for the first couple tanks. I think the oil injection would be a waste of time, but it is nice to not have to measure and shake. Try to get your hands on some RedLine oil. I ran Amsoil until I rode with RedLine for about 10 seconds. I've never changed oil and noticed a lil difference in how crisp the throttle was, but with this stuff, I did. And Amsoil is good stuff. I don't think injecting it would help fuel consumption but you would be able to fit a couple more quarts. :face-icon-small-ton I carry a total of 13.8 gallons when I ride. Most sleds can carry this much with just a 2.5gal jerrican. It is tempting to get a tank from a rev or just buy the huge trail tank. Neither of these have the fit and finish of the 8.8 tho. Let me know when you get back to the sled, I can PM you a ph.# if you'd like. :devil:

sledking

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
I had similar issues with running trails or even ditches here in MN and not having enough fuel with the 8.8 tank. I put on a holtzman compensator. This is the best thing I ever did to the sled. Runs awesome at -10 and will run the exact same at 40. Here in MN we dont get much elevation changes, its the drastic temperature changes to compensate for.

J

j9845

Apr 29, 2009
You want some help pm me. I live in north east iowa. I've been running the same set up for 3 years now no problems. I give you my set up and will run like a top

Premium Features