• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

which bore kit is best?

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I'm sure your sled runs good and is dialed in. I'm really not trying to argue. It's just that the logic of physics are against you. If comparing comparable riders and sleds are 100+ horsepower different! I just don't see the little big bore prevailing. I keep hearing that these big bores are turbo killers. I have just never seen it. Maybe I need to tag along with Alan next time he heads out your way. I would like to see how well your sled runs.

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
I'm sure your sled runs good and is dialed in. I'm really not trying to argue. It's just that the logic of physics are against you. If comparing comparable riders and sleds are 100+ horsepower different! I just don't see the little big bore prevailing. I keep hearing that these big bores are turbo killers. I have just never seen it. Maybe I need to tag along with Alan next time he heads out your way. I would like to see how well your sled runs.

I actually understand your debate and curiosity, it's why I get aggravated when people who have not seen the SHR Big bore run at elevation discuss the theory of turbo's at elevation vs. NA. Let's just say it sounds great on paper, but is a very different actuality. And I mean that in all respect and truthfullness. :face-icon-small-coo

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
I actually understand your debate and curiosity, it's why I get aggravated when people who have not seen the SHR Big bore run at elevation discuss the theory of turbo's at elevation vs. NA. Let's just say it sounds great on paper, but is a very different actuality. And I mean that in all respect and truthfullness. :face-icon-small-coo

I NEED this motor by the sounds of it. Not even my Cutler 1 Liter Cat can keep up with my T-Vec in a 1/4 mile uphill drag in 2ft of snow....The same Cat that goes shot for shot with a TSS full CF 174" E-Tec. There's some magic running thru the veins of that SHR and I mean to get me some!

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
So when is this "shoot out" going to be held?? And where?? I have a fresh 872R that I wouldn't mind throwing in the mix if it's not too far...

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I am game for anywhere within 5 or 6 hrs from Salt lake area.. We have good snow now... Slim is up in Idaho I know he will show up if it's within reason.. There are some great areas from here all the way up into Id and Wy... Bedford Alpine area have some nice long pulls as well.... I will be in Tog the weekend of the 30th if there's any takers

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Ya I know you where pulling me at the end.. 860 pulls hard to about 50 52 mph then just doesn't have it.. 860 and 880 are close to 35 to 40 mph...Then the 880 walks away fast.

Just curious... if you guys have raced 500' I'm curious what et. and mph you were running. As well as what track? My experience is that you should be in the low 5 second range at about 90mph. This is assuming you are running 155 inch or bigger mountain tracks. If your running race setup ups I would expect faster.

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
I am game for anywhere within 5 or 6 hrs from Salt lake area.. We have good snow now... Slim is up in Idaho I know he will show up if it's within reason.. There are some great areas from here all the way up into Id and Wy... Bedford Alpine area have some nice long pulls as well.... I will be in Tog the weekend of the 30th if there's any takers

I am in the Elko, NV area so SLC is 3 hours for me. I am good with heading that way and checking out your snow as we have NONE!!! Even southern Idaho for a weekend trip wouldn't be bad. Tog is a little far for me seeing as I will be in West Yellowstone in about 4 weeks. We will be there for 5 days.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Just curious... if you guys have raced 500' I'm curious what et. and mph you were running. As well as what track? My experience is that you should be in the low 5 second range at about 90mph. This is assuming you are running 155 inch or bigger mountain tracks. If your running race setup ups I would expect faster.

90mph your kidding right? My top speed is around 72 I think, at least that's close to what I am geared for. Have never felt the need to go faster than 70 in the mountains..I run a 163 2.5 straight up on setup or a little bit of fluff I am pulling a solid 65 mph, in the powder closer to 55 climbing, I has seen 60 in the meadow being relatively flat with a few feet of powder. A stock 800 at sea level with a short track will not pull 90 in 500ft.. 80 to 85 I would think.. Idk ask a flat lander. My old rev back in Mn would pull 75 to 78 with a 121 at sea level. If your getting 90 out of a 155. Which is a Polaris, you must be on around 20 lbs of boost or more? Haha!

Last edited:

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I am in the Elko, NV area so SLC is 3 hours for me. I am good with heading that way and checking out your snow as we have NONE!!! Even southern Idaho for a weekend trip wouldn't be bad. Tog is a little far for me seeing as I will be in West Yellowstone in about 4 weeks. We will be there for 5 days.

Slim is up that way, if you beat him then I will run ya... Lmao! But really I might be able to do west in 4 weeks if the snow is good.. Or we have great snow here if your up for this weekend.. 3 hrs is close

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
90mph your kidding right? My top speed is around 72 I think, at least that's close to what I am geared for. Have never felt the need to go faster than 70 in the mountains..I run a 163 2.5 straight up on setup or a little bit of fluff I am pulling a solid 65 mph, in the powder closer to 55 climbing, I has seen 60 in the meadow being relatively flat with a few feet of powder. A stock 800 at sea level with a short track will not pull 90 in 500ft.. 80 to 85 I would think.. Idk ask a flat lander. My old rev back in Mn would pull 75 to 78 with a 121 at sea level. If your getting 90 out of a 155. Which is a Polaris, you must be on around 20 lbs of boost or more? Haha!

Not kidding you at all. I'm curious what you guys are getting for et and mph in 500' on the track. Does fast on the track mean your sled rocks in the mountains? maybe not but mountain sled vs. mountain sled on the track should tell you something about the power it's making. I'm just curious cause someone said they had run 500' with a bigbore and I wanted to know how it did.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Not kidding you at all. I'm curious what you guys are getting for et and mph in 500' on the track. Does fast on the track mean your sled rocks in the mountains? maybe not but mountain sled vs. mountain sled on the track should tell you something about the power it's making. I'm just curious cause someone said they had run 500' with a bigbore and I wanted to know how it did.

Ya I'm Not sure... I am clutched and geared for the mountain.. Don't ride on a track.. And to be honest don't see the trail very often either, a stock 800 xp climbing in similar conditions will do around 45 to 48 mph track speed. My 860 does around 52 to 54, the 880 does about 65. I have never run it down the trail to see how fast it goes... These speeds are based on steep climbs with a base and fluffy loose snow on top... Not trail or 2ft of powder..

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
There is absolutely no correlation between a 500ft drag race and mountain performance.

100% ZERO correlation.

Really!!! So a slow *** piece of shat mountain sled that gets beat in a 500ft drag race by a bad *** mountain sled will not get beat by the same bad *** sled in the mountains? That correlated in my head pretty well. In fact 100% of the times I think about it it correlates.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
It takes a completely different clutch setup to run flat with no need for back shift, than it does climbing a 1000 ft vertical hill. You can pull a lot more helix if you don't need to back shift which in return will give you more track speed.. If you take two sleds same elevation, same track, same everything but motor... Yes the higher horsepower sled should win... Another factor is rider weight which in a steep climb comes into play more so than on flat ground... Laws of gravity tell you that. Since I moved to The Mountains I have not seen a drag race on flat ground, we find the steepest, longest hill we can... Which in the end proves the state of tune the sled is in. The biggest baddest motor does not alway win up high... The best setup sled will

Last edited:

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Really!!! So a slow *** piece of shat mountain sled that gets beat in a 500ft drag race by a bad *** mountain sled will not get beat by the same bad *** sled in the mountains? That correlated in my head pretty well. In fact 100% of the times I think about it it correlates.

You need a drag race to confirm that a "slow*** piece of shat" is slower than a "bad*** sled"?

Is that what I read? I just read a new level of stupid I think....:noidea:

I
Dec 14, 2001
Archer, Idaho
Not quite following this tit-for-tat, but scrat said it closest, the correlation is that a great running big bore can compete in all facets, (Reeb, yer not exactly correct), but you must clutch accordingly to harness the power of your particular application.

I run a shockwave secondary (as does scratly) So I can adjust helix to get the top performance of my mountain sled, in about ANY instance, flat drags, ice drags, straight uphill drags, highmarking etc.

Reeb is very knowledgeable, and there are soooo many variables in flat drags, an old pos ultra with a short cut clipped track can SPANK a much higher HP mountain sled, that being said, when they came over to the practice track that was snow rather than slick ice track, the HP sled was impressive.

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Hey Slim... Scratley says you are up around West Yellowstone area. I will be up there for 5 days towards the end of February. I would like to get together and see how your sled runs if you are available. PM if you like...

stonehands1

Lifetime Membership
Jul 26, 2010
Mt. Baker
Ok Reeb your right there is ABSOLUTELY NO CORRELATION between a fast mountain sled and one that runs good on the mountain. Good for you.

Back to my original question. Has anyone ran their "mountain sled" in a 500' drag race and if so how did it do?

I'm quite aware of how race clutching and mountain clutching work so while I appreciate everyone's input (some relevant some just plain stupid) I'd really just like to know ET's and mph.

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
Hey Slim... Scratley says you are up around West Yellowstone area. I will be up there for 5 days towards the end of February. I would like to get together and see how your sled runs if you are available. PM if you like...

I would guess we can make it happen.. I will pm you my number and let's set it up

Premium Features