• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 XM weight drop

ApeSh*tBananas

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2008
Conway
Im trying to talk my self in to going back to Ski Doo my only questions are how easy will it be to shave say (30 lbs) off the sled it looks like a can shaves 14lbs, so is it possible to shave another 16LBs, how strong are the front ends on this chassis, i like how the pro will sheer the a-arms and not bend up the bulkhead, and the 3 year snow check warranty, is that all through Ski Doo or is like polaris where its a 1 year factory warranty and then it goes to aftermarket company for the remaining time.

Thank you
Ape

M

Modedmach1

Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks, Alaska
Not brand bashing but, the Pro does bend/break bulkheads. A freind of mine hit a tree & the bulkhead cracked & bent is a couple different places.

I would think you could drop 25 to 30 lbs fairly easy off the XM. Can & a Timbersled front end would put you around 20 lbs lighter.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
yes its fairly easy to do 30 lbs

foam and plastic and pipe insulation is another 4, throttle body coolant another two, dans titanium front end is worth 8, belt drive another 6, race primary is another 4, like you said a can is 14, there is 36lbs

now do the etec porting and a y pipe and your 15hp over stock, or do a bb and 25plus, be a no brainer for myself

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
Removing the foam and swapping exhaust cans will get you 20 pounds off real fast. The belt drive is the $1000 you will spend, IMO

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
It will be like the XP ......10ish off the silencer, a few more off with a pipe but little or no power gain and then it gets expensive....6 or 7 in titanium a arms. With the new hood being removable i can see diamond S working on a mesh hood ( i hope!), that might be a nice weight drop. All foam is about 6 oz.
With the fuel economy i no longer pack gas so thats 16 lbs less i would have to add to the other 800's.
As for strenth they are as tough as anything but hit something at just the right angle and it can suffer damage like any sled.

ApeSh*tBananas

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2008
Conway
Thanks for the replies I've still got a little over a month before snowcheck I'm not gonna be able to demo either of the 2013's I'm recovering from a broken pelvis it sounds like 20lbs wouldn't cost a fortune 30lbs + is another story I'm loving the look of the all black x-package with a 146"

cadams

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2009
ND
yes its fairly easy to do 30 lbs

foam and plastic and pipe insulation is another 4, throttle body coolant another two, dans titanium front end is worth 8, belt drive another 6, race primary is another 4, like you said a can is 14, there is 36lbs

now do the etec porting and a y pipe and your 15hp over stock, or do a bb and 25plus, be a no brainer for myself

.. Where do you get this porting done at? And what is the new y pipe vs. old one?

X

XP Summit

Nov 26, 2007
Minneapolis, MN
I don't have the weight of the Etec can... but the weight of the 08 800r can used with springs is 15lbs 9oz . The weight of the used HPS can with springs is 4lbs 9.8oz. The weight of the sway bar on a 08 with hardware is 1lb 4.4oz. 08 Gray PTO side panel with stickers and foam is 2lb 14.2oz. The Mag side with stickers and foam are 3lb 0oz. Take the stickers and foam out you have PTO at 2lb 7oz and Mag at 2lb 7.4oz. The 08 hood with stickers and foam is 1lb 10.8oz and the hood clean 1lb 8.6oz.

I have basically every part on the 08 XP 154 weighed out. With good scales. For these parts they are +/- 0.2oz

Cheers
Shawn

P7310545 copy resized.jpg P7310546 copy resized.jpg

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I bought a full set of Fox Evol X shocks for my 2012 with the Tom's rear arm. The skid dropped 12 full pounds. I got an amazing ride upgrade and the usual $100 per pound weight loss for free. The front shocks dropped 6 pounds total off the front of my Freeride too. So that is 18lbs. I am definitely doing the pipe and can 14lbs, Fox shocks(prolly only 15lbs off the XM, shocks are lighter than on the Freeride), foam and plastic etc 4lbs, belt drive 6lbs(gonna be pissed when they do that for the 2014 snowcheck, and titanium front end 8lbs and titanium bolt kit 5lbs. That is 53 pounds for about $5500. Going to leave the engine stone stock and add back 10lbs for e start with a lightweight Shorai battery. That sled should be 500lbs ready to ride, going to be a great year.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I have yet to see an ETEC turbo that is running TROUBLE FREE. If/when that happens I would be interested. My stock engines run flawlessly, going to stay with that. Also, most of the mods listed serve more purposes than just weight loss. Plus, I can recover quite a bit of that 5500 selling the stock parts.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I am going to order a pro this year hard to do but with what it weighs and warranty hard not to. I used to ride yamaha in late nineties and made aftermarket companies rich. Getting the belt drive on the pro made it a better value imo. All the light weight kits that are available for the summit are also available for the pro also. I have bled doo since 03 going to beat on something different with warranty and my pro dealer is better than the doo dealer that is close to me. To many things to go wrong on turbos and when they don't work it ruins the ride. Pull rope and go I am on vacation I have had many mods but with the sleds getting this good with waranty hard to mod one out. IMO

-lenny-

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2011
Whitecourt, Alberta
The mod sleds do get tiring. When my 13s show up, only mods I am doing: can, foam and sticker removal, and quick clickers. Hold er to the bars, if it blows up drop it at the dealer on my way home and let warranty deal with it.

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
I have an 08 xp with all the goodies, toms rear, Evo Rs, HPS can, no foam, two wheel kit, removed track wheels, Doo Dr. float secondary and la la la. Lots of money. All these mods are nice but if I am lucky when I sell I MAY get 20% back if I am lucky.
I made the decision to order a 2013 Pro I just want to ride and the Pro has some/all the mods Ski Doo should have made this year.
Give it some time the circle will come around and one of the 3 will shatter the weight and engineering design again.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
wow a ship jumper...

hope the engin holds for you, mods are what make these sleds fun, riding a stocker gets lame in the first hr, maybe you do the etec swap for the poo motor, be a rocking sled then and call it a dopo

ApeSh*tBananas

Premium Member
Dec 14, 2008
Conway
wow a ship jumper...

hope the engin holds for you, mods are what make these sleds fun, riding a stocker gets lame in the first hr, maybe you do the etec swap for the poo motor, be a rocking sled then and call it a dopo

I only had my 2012 std RMK for 215 miles before i totaled it, before that i had 3 Ski Doo Revs, I could give two sh*ts what brand Im on, Im looking for the sled that has the best chances of making it off the mountain day in and day out without crinkling the tunnel or having the engine blow up. I Beat the crap out of my sleds, I do alot of jumping and riding in the trees. What ever sled I get there will be no motor work done to it i would like to keep the warranty good, I never had a problem with the power of the RMK, Im not usually pointed going straight up hill anyway, usually Im workin a sidehill or picking my way through the trees uphill. Im still torn both sleds have there +'s and -'s.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
well if your a jumper, do the freeride, they got the best shocks and are built heavier for that type of rider, also have the etec motor, poo motor is like a gamble, some good some not, there fit and finsh looks a bit lame as well, they will be alot lighter than the free ride, but only about 20lbs less than the xm full of fluids

as for engine performance, did the bb back in 08 and never looked back, maybe i had better than average luck, but the builder should get most the credit, they work so much better than stock

I only had my 2012 std RMK for 215 miles before i totaled it, before that i had 3 Ski Doo Revs, I could give two sh*ts what brand Im on, Im looking for the sled that has the best chances of making it off the mountain day in and day out without crinkling the tunnel or having the engine blow up. I Beat the crap out of my sleds, I do alot of jumping and riding in the trees. What ever sled I get there will be no motor work done to it i would like to keep the warranty good, I never had a problem with the power of the RMK, Im not usually pointed going straight up hill anyway, usually Im workin a sidehill or picking my way through the trees uphill. Im still torn both sleds have there +'s and -'s.

Premium Features