• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

800R Cranks

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
Was talking with the crank guy from one of the biggest rebuild shops in Canada about our cranks. Was wondering if there is anything that can be done to make these any stronger. He said that these are just a very poor design how they press together etc. He said that they will true them and after 2000 - 3000 km they will all go out of tolerance and start to vibrate. BRP really needs to fix these bottom ends to start lasting. I have yet to get a third season out of an 800 bottom end. This is just not acceptable for a $13,000 sled.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
BRP hasn't fixed this issue since 2001 ! Nothing like selling your customers a $1000 dollar crank, to start after 1-2 years of riding. Very poor reliability ! But the brand loyalists just keep handing over their hard earned money for this junk !

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
Was talking with the crank guy from one of the biggest rebuild shops in Canada about our cranks. Was wondering if there is anything that can be done to make these any stronger. He said that these are just a very poor design how they press together etc. He said that they will true them and after 2000 - 3000 km they will all go out of tolerance and start to vibrate. BRP really needs to fix these bottom ends to start lasting. I have yet to get a third season out of an 800 bottom end. This is just not acceptable for a $13,000 sled.

Just about every 2-stroke every made has a pressed together crankshaft. Thats not going to change any time soon. Every brand has crankshaft failures. Is it the crank shaft or the crappy bearing that cause the problem? from what I've seen doo is not any worse than any other brand. Just be thankful you don't have a polaris.

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
not to ruffle any feathers but i have 3 hard seasons on my xp and over 5500km's with no problems. the clutch does not viberate and pistons dont have a single scuff. so how much of this is user caused and what is actual faulty product.

Backcountrypro

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
I just intalled a Rk Tek 860 and I am not going to worry about the crank until I hit the 5000 mile mark. Seems funny that the guy who has engine troubles all the time is the same one that never lets the sled warm up, holds the throttle to the bar constantly, usaully runs the cheapest oil and gas. I have owned a half dozen Ski Doo's and I have never had a crank issue. Last sled had the Rk Tek 800 drop in kit running at 8500 rpm and it ran like a champ for four seasnons and it is probably still going strong.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Even welded they don't last ! Just like Dootraxx mentioned even after they weld them they will still be out of spec in 2000-3000km. Polaris is no better or no worse than Doo. Just ask any reputable builder and they will tell you these two companies are neck and neck in engine failures !

C
Nov 23, 2009
It's funny how its always the whiners that post. I believe this is how "internet hype" is generated. The problem sleds are a minority. Stuff like this makes me laugh.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
It's funny how its always the whiners that post. I believe this is how "internet hype" is generated. The problem sleds are a minority. Stuff like this makes me laugh.

You can keep dreamin' there buddy boy. This is way past a couple of problem sleds. You yellow bleeders make me laugh, so delusional ! There are those with blown motors and those that will blow motors ! Call around and talk to some engine builders and it all becomes crystal clear !

The saying "Ski-Doo, making mechanics out of riders since 1959" came from somewhere LOL !

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
Just about every 2-stroke every made has a pressed together crankshaft. Thats not going to change any time soon. Every brand has crankshaft failures. Is it the crank shaft or the crappy bearing that cause the problem? from what I've seen doo is not any worse than any other brand. Just be thankful you don't have a polaris.

We know they mostly have press together cranks. That is not the problem. The problem he said is how this particular crank is designed and fits together. Cat also has press together cranks and you do not see them having crank trouble.

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
This is what Dynamo Joe had to say over on Dootalk.

"There is a machine shop in the city here, R&R machine has a guy full time on 2-stroke crankshafts.
Says that the brp 800 and 800 poo cranks are pretty much neck and neck for bearing failures for the last 4~5 years, stubs out of limit on deflection - seems to go in phases where poo does worse then cat, then cat does worse than poos but brp cranks is his steady business."

This will also be part of the problem of wearing out clutch parts on these things as fast as we do.

T
Dec 2, 2007
Crank failures

I am now on my third doo, one ZX and two REV. I have never got more than one season out of a crank which equates to about 2500miles. I run doo oil and maintain my clutches every 200-300miles. Everyone I ride with has REV's and XP's and if it's not the crank it's the clutches and belt problems. I'm on my third crank on my XRS, the last one the stub shaft broke off in the primary wrecking both clutches and the case halves as well as the cylinder. On a side note everyone with turboed M8s I know don't seem to have any issues even with the extra 100horse. I'm love riding doos but I'm switching to MR's for the reliability.

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB

This is what makes me laugh. Another brand loyal Doo boy with his blinders on that always says there is no problem because he owns one and just can't stand to believe its true. It reminds me of all the guys in 08 that said they had no belt problems but when you opened their side panels the belt fuzz was everywhere and strings were hangin all over the place.

Last edited:
C
Nov 23, 2009
This is what makes me laugh. Another brand loyal Doo boy with his blinders on that always says there is no problem because he owns one and just can't stand to believe its true. It reminds me of all the guys in 08 that said they had no belt problems but when you opened their side panels the belt fuzz was everywhere and strings were hangin all over the place.
That guy with NO belt problems is me. I have over 2000 hard mountain miles and have yet to buy a belt. And trust me, I am far from easy on them. NO venting, No alignment. I will say, though, I've had a DJ clutch kit since new. I'm anything but brand loyal, as this is my first doo. My 08, first year has been flawless! It has run like a champ from day one. All my budddies ride new M1s and Poos and are always amazed at what my sled can do and how well its ran. One of my friends just commented last weekend, that my sled has never missed a beat. I have the oldest sled and only doo in my group. I feel sorry for the guys that have lemon sleds. My buddy is on his second Dragon and 4th motor! His first year 08 was terrible, his 10 isn't much better. The m1s blow belts every second ride. The cat guys screw around with their "boondockers" more than they ride. So, to you, who think it's only doo, had better take the blinders off. Take a hard look at the polls... you just don't hear from us because we're too busy riding!

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
There is a reason there is no 1200 Summit this year. Doo would have no one buying cranks and motors anymore. That is the only way they make money LOL. Keep the customers thinking they have a good reliable product meanwhile sell them belts at 150 bucks a pop, cranks at 1000 bucks a pop, and shortblocks at 2200 bucks a pop ! You keep buying and you will keep getting junk !

There is a reason their trains keep breaking down as well ???:face-icon-small-dis

M
Jan 14, 2004
Brian Williams on CTV was laughing that when he was running the Olympic torch back in December he had to go back to the van 5 times cause it kept blowing out. Another fine BRP product. LOL. In all fairness every manufacturer wil produce a sled or 2 that just won't quit, you just aren't likely to be the one guy who gets that perticular sled. Kinda like winning the lotto.

M5

S
Nov 28, 2007
Alberta
This is what Dynamo Joe had to say over on Dootalk.

"There is a machine shop in the city here, R&R machine has a guy full time on 2-stroke crankshafts.
Says that the brp 800 and 800 poo cranks are pretty much neck and neck for bearing failures for the last 4~5 years, stubs out of limit on deflection - seems to go in phases where poo does worse then cat, then cat does worse than poos but brp cranks is his steady business."

This will also be part of the problem of wearing out clutch parts on these things as fast as we do.

thats because it creates more jobs and helps us get out of the recession!!! :)

brokenbones4

Lifetime Membership
Feb 9, 2008
Edmonton
Brian Williams on CTV was laughing that when he was running the Olympic torch back in December he had to go back to the van 5 times cause it kept blowing out. Another fine BRP product. LOL. In all fairness every manufacturer wil produce a sled or 2 that just won't quit, you just aren't likely to be the one guy who gets that perticular sled. Kinda like winning the lotto.

M5

well i guess i won the lotto! i also have an 08 with many many hard miles and never missed a beat. instead of coming on here to whine just buy a different sled, and when that sled breaks down go buy another different one, youll find out soon enough nothing lasts forever so get over it!

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
That guy with NO belt problems is me. I have over 2000 hard mountain miles and have yet to buy a belt. And trust me, I am far from easy on them. NO venting, No alignment. I will say, though, I've had a DJ clutch kit since new. I'm anything but brand loyal, as this is my first doo. My 08, first year has been flawless! It has run like a champ from day one. All my budddies ride new M1s and Poos and are always amazed at what my sled can do and how well its ran. One of my friends just commented last weekend, that my sled has never missed a beat. I have the oldest sled and only doo in my group. I feel sorry for the guys that have lemon sleds. My buddy is on his second Dragon and 4th motor! His first year 08 was terrible, his 10 isn't much better. The m1s blow belts every second ride. The cat guys screw around with their "boondockers" more than they ride. So, to you, who think it's only doo, had better take the blinders off. Take a hard look at the polls... you just don't hear from us because we're too busy riding!

Noticed you did not mention the Yamaha's breaking down. Seems you have learned the same thing I have. That is why I am switching to the Blue team.

Premium Features