• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Under Armour base layer

T
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, ID
So who is using Under Armour as a base layer?? They have a zillion options!! Just wanting to get a feel of what works to keep you warm and get rid of moisture. Also does the sizing run a little big??

Thanks for your help!

cat rider

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairmont, MN
I'm using an Under Armour base layer and I think it works great. I use the cold gear compressional type top and bottom. Then I wear the Klim inferno layer over that underneath my Klim Gore Tex shell. I find that if I'm riding hard it's just about perfect for 0-20 degrees, but if its warmer then that I begin to get hot.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
the UA cold wave is way too hot for me...I wear the heat top and bottom with tek vest and outer shell...toasty warm when riding hard.

:beer;

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I wear the Under Armour "Heat Gear" (silk-weight) for my base layer, decided to try it this year. To be honest on Under Armour, I can't say that I think it's "the best". It doesn't strike me as any better or worse than any other synthetic silk weight underwear. It's tight, which I think makes it a warm base layer, but that's about the only special thing. It's hard to justify the steep prices they want for it. I usually wait for base layer long underwear to go on sale and can usually pick up shirts for about $8 each.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I had a weight loss surgery a little over a year ago and dropped from 420#s to 235#s. I am now cold all the time. I didn't realize cold was a real thing, I thought it was just an excuse guys used to wimp out.

Cold is REAL, teeth chattering is not just in cartoons. That said, I have been wearing the UA 3.0 Cold Gear as a base top & bottom and it works great. I haven't tried any other brands but I dont need to at this point. I'm warm and happy.

Not that I ever get stuck, but when I'm digging out others I can get pretty warm under the Tek Vest and it seems to breath out really well and I dont get chilled once I get going again. I think you'd be happy. Have a good one. EW

Headrush

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
What about sizing? I'm 6'8" and can't find stuff long enough. I like the way UA looks, but am worried that it's going to be too short.

M

mtnjunkie

Mar 2, 2008
If you want really warm, try either Hot Chilly's or Icebreaker. I normally wear layers of Icebreaker, but bought a couple Hot Chilly's Salsa shirts a few days ago. WoW. Those are warm and thick, would be too warm for anything over 20 degrees probably. But for cold days I think I'm going to love them. Soft fleece type inside, smooth outside to layer over and fit well. I don't like restricting or compression clothing. Just bugs me for some reason. I am addicted to Icebreaker though, love that stuff.

B

blacksnow

Jan 3, 2009
everett, WA
What about sizing? I'm 6'8" and can't find stuff long enough. I like the way UA looks, but am worried that it's going to be too short.

i'm positive UA makes tall sizes. you have to realize they started their biz catering to football players. there are quite a few tall and even wide ball players. good luck!

polaris dude

Lifetime Membership
Jun 5, 2009
Grand Junction, CO
I swear by underarmor. It wicks away moisture like no other! This last ride we had i was putting on a show for the family on my new sled and after riding hard for half an hour i came over to the side and took off my coat and such and the amount of moisture coming off me was amazing! when i get my sisters camera i will post the picture up, i could hardly see anything the cloud was so dang big!

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I have some undor armour that works well. I prefer Smartwool over anything. You can get some less known brands that are made from moreno wool as well. Moreno wool is proably the most odor resistant material out there. It dries super fast and breaths very well. It breathes better than anything else I have used and still keeps me warm. I don't dry it in the dryer and when I put my other clothes in the dry I put my socks and long underwear (smartwool) on a rack outside. The moreno wool stuff dries faster air hanging than the stuff in the dryer.

P
Nov 26, 2007
My kids have the UA gear, and they don't get cold. I prefer the Nike brand for myself. It seems to keep me warmer, and costs less, too.

PaverMaster

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I got some UA gear as a gift last year. Maybe its just the stuff I got, but it is freezing! It feels like I have that icey bengay stuff on your skin. Is this normal? Or did I just get a wierd line of it or something? Do you generally have to wear a warmer mid layer with this stuff. All I have used before is a helly hanson base layer and my klim gear.

T
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, ID
I wear a tek vest over a long sleeved cotton shirt then throw my jacket over it. I am wanting to get rid of the cotton shirt in place of something else that will get the moisture out.

Usually wear old school thermals on bottom and want to kick them to the curb as well. So i was hoping to buy Under Armour upper and lower and then just rock that.

Thanks for the help guys! I am gonna order it from Cabelas today and will give areport next week!

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I wear UA cold gear on the top with a very light columbia fleece and Klim shell. On the bottom I wear Cabalas wader liners, and Klim extreme bibs. Works great.

Premium Features