• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Edge Shocks

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Will edge shocks fit on the front of my '93 xlt sks and make it sit higher and still allow the front suspension to function? I have swapped in an x10 rear and a longer track. I would like to be a few inches higher to keep the nose from scooping snow. What do you think? Ideas?

C

chadkrump

May 26, 2008
Amenia ND
if you plan on adding longer shocks, you are going to have to get longer radius rods...

we swapped the 93 XLT front out and replaced the shocks with some from an 98 XC 600, i think they are around 15.5 inches center to center, we had to get different radius rods and steering rods. trailing arms will still work, and the sway bar is too short so we got rid of it anyways...

hope this helps ya out a bit. good luck

CK

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
hmmmm

I was hoping to keep the front end narrow or allow it to get narrower as the front went up. I understand that more room will be needed to fit the shocks. The swaybar is the first thing to go on my sleds, free weight loss and allows one to rock it over easier. I guess I will just have to experiment and see what happens.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Another option either by itself or in addition to longer shocks are the spindles. The earlier sleds had the ski mount directly under the spindle where it came out of the down tube. The '99 models (maybe some earlier as well, but pre-Edge style) had the CRC front end which had a "lift" built into the spindles which mounted the skis lower (maybe 1.25-1.5") than the earlier style like what you have. This would raise the front end with no other side effects. You can find them on ebay from time to time.

F

fordpickupman

Oct 28, 2009
Cascade, Idaho
Another option either by itself or in addition to longer shocks are the spindles. The earlier sleds had the ski mount directly under the spindle where it came out of the down tube. The '99 models (maybe some earlier as well, but pre-Edge style) had the CRC front end which had a "lift" built into the spindles which mounted the skis lower (maybe 1.25-1.5") than the earlier style like what you have.

Will they fit in the early trailing arms? will the early stearing arms fit on them? That could be a good idea if they will fit.

I also need new shocks, one of mine is blown and sags out while riding it. kind of feels weird going down the trail lop-sided.:D

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I've got a pair of spindles out of a '99 that are bent. I keep looking at them for a replacement in my '93 Wedge. I don't like the idea of the bent spindles in there in such an important part of the machine. The diameter, length, and spline count look just like the earlier style, just that the bottoms have the "lift" on them. It also sets the ski bolt back maybe 3/4" behind the spindle which I think was to help it track better, but I could be wrong. I have seen them on ebay before, but haven't actually bolted them in to try them.

F

Flatbed

Dec 17, 2007
Wyoming
Taller shocks

I have a 94 Storm chassis that I did the same thing to. Only I put on shocks off a 98 chassis. I made some radius rod extenters out of 1" X 1/8" strap. Measure your radius rod mounting holes and drill the holes in the strap to match. I think my strap was 7" long. Bolt the strap to the spindle in the old holes. Put the lower rod in the upper hole and the upper rod in the new hole you drilled. I would send you some pics but I haven't got the sled out yet. The suspension really works good in the front. You might have to lower the front mounting hole on your rear skid to take up change to your front susp. Give me a call for a better explaination at 307-877-3451. or PM me. Wayne By the way I put a 670 rotax in the chassis with a 153 07 Cat skid and a 156 ported Camo track. This sled is one of the funnest sleds I have owned.

Premium Features