• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Watercraft engine swap

B
Sep 30, 2008
So my buddy has got a 90's polaris 750 waverunner with a stripped drive. He has also got a polaris 400 or 440 snowmobile, not sure on year or model, either late 80's or early 90's.
I am thinking about getting them from him and throwing the watercraft engine in the sled chassis, and then long tracking it and stuff. Is it doable?
What would it take to do? and would it cost a lot of money to do? Just looking for a fun lil project sled, and i think if i got it going it should rip pretty good.
Thanks in advance for the help guys.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Salt Lake City
W/C

Lots of money. First off that isn't the sled to do it too. You want a GenII or even better a Edge. You should be able to find one with a long track already on it.
Water craft motors are NOT just a matter of changing a couple of parts. Crank has to have a end put on it for a clutch. Case has to machined for a snowmobile ignition. You will need to buy an adapter for the ignition side also to be able to run a 650 or storm style waterpump. You will need ultra or XCR magneto, flywheel, CDI etc. Also pull starter. Next 3 cylinders and a head to cover them. Water manifold as well. Also carbs and a clutch. On and on.
PSI1200 builds that stuff and does a fantastic job but it's going to be expensive.
Take some time and read through the Water Craft thread and you will start to understand.

rocket

Premium Member
Jul 20, 2001
Wisconsin
Further discouragement: The motor you're looking at is basically what the old 750 Storm motors were. Those weren't great performers even in their own time, but compared to modern motors they are "duds". If you really felt you had to do this, just go buy a Storm motor and forget about trying to convert the PWC motor. If you're wondering about why people convert PWC motors, do take a look at the thread mentioned. It will explain a lot about what is going on with the conversions and why what you're thinking of doesn't make the most sense.

B
Sep 30, 2008
Ya i figured thats what was gonna happen. just wanted to see if that motor was doable just cuz it would've been given to me, but its not worth it. I mainly just wanted something to tinker with but i will bag that idea. Thanks guys for the help.

Premium Features