• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SHR860 vs RK860

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
BJ claims 171hp in his signature for the XP, on RK's website they claim 180hp. How and where is RK getting the extra 9HP?

Last edited:
H
Nov 29, 2007
Littleton,Colorado

I believe these numbers are a little inflated,at least at my elevation in Colorado 10k to 12k,am having one done by Rick Kantola at Peak Powersports,probably more in the range of 165,with an rkt head.Should be a blast though.That is a corrected number.

E

enis750

Nov 28, 2007
Area code 306
BJ and Kelsey are good friends, BJ uses RKT heads on his BB kits (or at least you have this option)
I am sure the numbers are somewhat closer
Either way, you will be more than happy with either product

my bro in law runs the SHR840 kit and it smokes 800r's and stock XP's - ALL DAY
actually, it embarrased a few XP's last year

both great products, great guys, cant go wrong w either - snag one up!

M
Sep 21, 2002
Edmonton
It's funny. Lindsey ALWAYS never wanted to talk HP #'s for years..now it's the highest??:rolleyes:

Time for a dyno showdown. I have heard from some peeps that have done some side by side tests, and the numbers are quite surprising.

I would think, all in all the best big bore is the one that the builder can stand behind their product, and give the best service. PERIOD.

K

Keithcat

Nov 27, 2007
I would think, all in all the best big bore is the one that the builder can stand behind their product, and give the best service. PERIOD.

I can agree with that 200%!!!!

I have and run an RKT 860 myself and have had outstanding customer service from Kelsey. More than happy........

I have also called Big John a few times for products and information. Another great guy to deal with.

Whatever path you choose you will be happy in the end.

Keith

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Few things I have noticed for getting bib bore info. The real #'s are scarce from the builders and real dyno sheets. BJ has never posted or shown a dyno sheet peroid! There is a guy with a majoy RKT complaint on dootalk. I don't beleive personally in the big bores I think its a joke your increasing the cyl by such a small margin the BB is doing maybe 4 hp of the work. If the BB isn't ported its a joke. There are many guys whom keep coming out of the woodwork and admit the BB's are not there like they say.

post #26 http://www.dootalk.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=332849&st=15&start=15

F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
Take this for that it's worth:

Last year running the hilldrags at sprit mountain (MN) with my 07 XRS all stock except for a can and 19t gear. I ran against a 08 XP, I think it was a 146, anyway he had BJ's 860 kit. We lined up at the starting line and when the flag dropped I was gone, shot about 3 lengths out first, he was sleeping bad at the line. Keep in mind that these are 500 ft runs. I figured that He would not catch me but about half way I started to see him in the corner of my eye and by the end he had at least a full length on me. If a sled can make up 4 lengths in 500 ft goinh up hill, I would say that he was making some pretty good power.

FYI, there was a RKT 827 with an ez-ryde and holz front and I beat him every time we ran, 4 races total against him.

May not be the most scientific but to me was very real world and definately showed a power increase. He went on and won the 900 class for the day.

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
BJ advertises 171hp for the XP in every post he makes here on Snowwest in his signature! So he DOES make claims about HP, and RK states in BOLD type that their version makes 180HP. I still want to hear from the 2 builders in question to state how RK is, or isn't making 9 HP more?

I would agree that the increase in displacement is not the real difference, more an increase in compression (head), better pistons and rings, better air flow (porting), and jetting. In reality the poor mans mod (all the above with no increase in jug size) would likely perform very "nearly" the same and cost significantly less.

Last edited:
T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
I would agree that the increase in displacement is not the real difference, more an increase in compression (head), better pistons and rings, better air flow (porting), and jetting. In reality the poor mans mod (all the above with no increase in jug size) would likely perform very "nearly" the same and cost significantly less.

100% what I am saying!

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
You guys are making too much out of a few hp. Different dyno , different operator , different days . The numbers will change everytime. Pick a guy you like and go with his stuff , stop worying about being able to tell your buddy you have 177.753 hp. sj

N

nuggetau

Sep 26, 2009
Idaho
SJ

Not interested in the dick measuring contests that surrounds snowmobiles, but 9 hp (if real) is NOT insignificant! A "real" difference in performance is WHY you or anyone else would consider the BB kit, so to say it doesn't matter makes no sense.

Last edited:
H
Nov 29, 2007
Littleton,Colorado

I'm not a poor man,and I've had an m8trg turbo,i think the 860 will run real well against the pump gas turbos,on medium boost,race gas not a chance,my m8t would've pounced on the 860,but i like the chassis better,if all goes well with Rick at Peak,i might throw a turbo on the 860.This is the combo he is doing this year,should rip,and can run on pump gas.And NO fuel controller.And no lag on this 860,it will shoot out of the hole.

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
SJ

Not interested in the dick measuring contests that surrounds snowmobiles, but 9 hp (if real) is NOT insignificant! A "real" difference in performance is WHY you or anyone else would consider the BB kit, so to say it doesn't matter makes no sense.

Youre right , 9 hp is signifigant. What i was saying is that the likely hood of there being 9 hp is small. They have both seen each others motors , heck they share info all the time Im sure , trying to improve things where they can. Again what im saying is if you took either of these motors and dynod them at the same place i bet the difference would be slight. RTK dynos at the shop he wants to and sets the carbs where he wants to and gets 180 on that dyno , BJ sends his somewhere else and maybe runs his jets a lil different just because thats what he thinks is safe and he gets 171 on that dyno. Dyno number means squat. I know they fun to talk about and brag about but i have seen 90% of the bolton hp gainers do diddly. Find a shop that guys are constantly praising and go there. 182 hp on the trailer gets beat everytime by 170 on the hill. sj

Premium Features