• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

IQR Mountain tapered tunnel..pics

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Ok, so for a while I've been trying to decide what to do with my tunnel/extension, I have the VE extension and it cracked on both sides where it rivets to the stock tail section. I didn't like the way my extension let the snow pack up in the tunnel, and the extension's running board piece was pretty much useless because because it uses a pin to attach to the stock running board extrusion and its pretty flimsy under my 220 pounds.

Not to knock Mike's design because it is a well built and designed peice, I just beat the hell out of it and it had enough.

Sorry for the Iphone pics, I will post some nice high resolution pics tomorrow from the digi cam, the edges are all rounded and smooth, there is an L bracket on the back side of each footrest supporting it from the back side. I'm going to be doing something with the round smooth tube of the footrest for some traction soon, as well as installing a set of Meathooker's Feethookers which look pretty sweet.

Comments welcome!:beer;:beer;:beer;

Before any modification

blackmod.jpg

We started with cutting off the running board extension.

157.jpg

Then I started designing a kicked up footrest

159.jpg

160.jpg

161.jpg

Decided I wanted a curved taper in the rear

162.jpg

164.jpg

170.jpg

166.jpg

Added some touches to the footrest

178.jpg

179.jpg

175.jpg

180.jpg

Mostly finished it tonight, need to weld the extrusions tomorrow and do a few more finishing touches.

180.jpg

186.jpg

189.jpg

188.jpg

190.jpg

185.jpg

Last edited:
P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
I like it, definate improvement over the original v.e. extension, should hang up less in the deep snow too. one thing though I'd be a bit concerned about strength right behind the footrest, especially if you use that gas rack a lot. Might never be an issue, but I would consider riveting a 1/8 or so flatbar on the inside of the tunnel on either side just to be safe. Would only add like half a pound or so.
Kind of looks a bit like how I did mine, but the whole side is made out of 1/8, and it does flex a bit where the thin part starts behind the footrest when I have a jerry can on there. I've been waiting for it to bend there but so far so good.
PA200547.jpg

Last edited:
I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Supplicate-

Actually it cleared out a little this week because we have been busting *** making sure everyone is ready to ride when we finally get some snow. We've got a couple turbo yammies getting wrenched on and a couple motor builds as well as a bunch of standard repairs.

Poorider-

That looks great man, very clean. I'm assuming you just cut your old boards off, cnc'd some new sides and riveted them on? Looks very well built.
It's decently stiff at the back but I have my gas rack mounted as far forward as possible, I always take my gas off and pour it in the tank as quick as I can but I try not to huck with my can still on the back :D:beer;

If you look closely you can see that I have 1/8" flat bar on the inside of the tunnel, connected all the way into the front tunnel section with stainless aircraft rivets. You can see where they end about 3" into the front section on the outside.

Last edited:
P
Mar 12, 2008
sunnyvale trailer park
Supplicate-

Actually it cleared out a little this week because we have been busting *** making sure everyone is ready to ride when we finally get some snow. We've got a couple turbo yammies getting wrenched on and a couple motor builds as well as a bunch of standard repairs.

Poorider-

That looks great man, very clean. I'm assuming you just cut your old boards off, cnc'd some new sides and riveted them on? Looks very well built.
It's decently stiff at the back but I have my gas rack mounted as far forward as possible, I always take my gas off and pour it in the tank as quick as I can but I try not to huck with my can still on the back :D:beer;

If you look closely you can see that I have 1/8" flat bar on the inside of the tunnel, connected all the way into the front tunnel section with stainless aircraft rivets. You can see where they end about 3" into the front section on the outside.

Aah, I see, should be a non issue then.
Thanks for the comment. Actually it didn't get cnc'd I cut it out myself and built the boards but ya, it's the stock tunnel with the boards hacked off, then riveted on the sides and top, welded on the boards. I added a couple degrees more taper to it as well

S

Supplicate

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Oct 4, 2005
Slowdotnuh
Supplicate-

Nice. Good to know my sled isn't taking up any valuable space. Have you received the post?

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
Was raised in the little town of Plain City, live in Clinton now.

How is the strength of the tunnel, would this be possible for a Raw tunnel to tapper it up like your IQR....?

The strength is great. I would assuume a Raw tunnel could be done the same way as long as a guy used a flat bar bumper to help support instead of the stock tube.

Premium Features