• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is normal Sno Scoot Performance

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Hello,

Just obtained and fired up a 1988 Scoot (it sat for 25 or 26 years), and running into some questions.

We changed all lines, cleaned the heck out of the tank, oil tank, and carb, confirmed all passages, jets, etc. clear; have the black plug in the bottom, float checks out OK. Spark is good, lights worked (Headlight did burn out Saturday).

What should I expect for groundspeed? My granddaughter (65 lbs) is getting about 6 mph out of it. It moved about the same with me on it (a couple hundred pounds). It doesn't sound like its running full RPM, or what I would expect an 80cc two stroke to sound like.

I had to ether it to start the first time the morning we took it out; after that it started pretty good-- sometimes immediately; sometimes took a few seconds on the starter. Runs inconsistently-- sometimes better with choke (enricher) on; sometimes with it off.

Any figures on how fast it should go, and any comments on what to look for to get it right?

Thanks!!!!

I
Nov 27, 2007
Cobleskill, NY
If you've had the carb off I assume you checked the air box, but if not then check there for obstructions.

To check the exhaust for obstructions you can just disconnect it at the head, its only two bolts. Pull the flange away from the head a little so that it can breath. Start it and run it on a stand for a few seconds. You'll immediately notice if that was the issue. It will be loud, and i wouldn't recommend riding it like this, but for testing its fine.

03RMK800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Kremmling, Colorado
Yes, we were at 10K, top of the Grand Mesa.
Even with a performance discount for altitude, it sounds like I should get more than 6 mph.

Thanks for the comment!

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Easily catch...

th

Premium Features