• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ZR 120, ktm 50 motor build.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
highly considering putting a ktm 50 motor my sons 120.

what you guys think?

i have 4 of these ktm 50's sitting around, 3 tomar/dominator clutches. ect.

think it will work the ktm 50 is 11 hp

the 120 is 5.5?

-Aksnopro

H1Pilot

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Coeur d'Alene, Idaho
I'd love to see it. I talked to RecMotor about it, and they believe it is not a good idea. I don't remember why. Maybe it was motor positioning...maybe because there is not a class for it in the racing circuit.

It's hard for me to understand how it could not be awesome.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
If you have 3 of those motors around for donors, you know they're a nightmare to maintain for performance. I would think that you would have a race only type sled when you were done unless you were willing to be constantly spinning wrenches. How would you convert the kick into a pull start?

C
Oct 29, 2008
Why not just put a Briggs Animal in it? I have one in My Boy's 120 and it wIll do 30 MPH with a 2.6 gear ratio. And the Engine is all stock i just have a Billet Rod installed in it.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Hahaha yes with 3 kids on ktm 50's I know them all too well, our 8 yr old took 1st this year in kenai and 2nd in anch (local rsce series)

But really only reason is i feel like im building my kid a 4 stroke yammy if I put in any other 4 stroke

It would be mainly for racing :)

And aside from the exhause and intake mods to make it fit I think I could get it done for free!

I would love to use a kx 65 motor but then your getting into gear boxes

Light weight two stroke, syntryfical clutch 420 chain driven just like whats in it and really the only other motor I see working with little effort is a badass chain saw motor?? But $$$$

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 2

J
Sep 1, 2011
S/E MN
Hahaha yes with 3 kids on ktm 50's I know them all too well, our 8 yr old took 1st this year in kenai and 2nd in anch (local rsce series)

But really only reason is i feel like im building my kid a 4 stroke yammy if I put in any other 4 stroke

It would be mainly for racing :)

And aside from the exhause and intake mods to make it fit I think I could get it done for free!

I would love to use a kx 65 motor but then your getting into gear boxes

Light weight two stroke, syntryfical clutch 420 chain driven just like whats in it and really the only other motor I see working with little effort is a badass chain saw motor?? But $$$$

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I497 using Tapatalk 2
Yes the KTM motor works in the 120 and it rips. The hardest part is getting the shim stacks in the clutch right because it's not like a Dirt bike tire. Doesn't spin as easy. We robbed the motor out of My sons Pro Jr and was tons of fun for him. But he destroys everything he touchs. And it's hard to find a class for him to race in with this set up as well. But it's a blast at radar runs when they do 40mph on a z 120. Also seen a 088 stihl motor in one as well. Had a jackshaft with stock clutch on it and chain between saw a jackshaft. That thing was insane but had 1500 in just the saw. Also Jetting is a pain seems every 5* you have to change jets

Last edited:
R
Aug 3, 2013
hi,im new here and was reading this thread.I was going through some old sled stuff in the shed today and came across a 250 spirit f/a engine.that thing is really small.this would be a pretty nice engine for the kids 120 if there was a way to set for a tapered crank,

Premium Features