• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

860 big bore kit

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
byeatts, Normally whats happening when bored out an extra 1mm, or .5mm on the exhaust side with the exhaust port slopping down, so when bored the exhaust port is being lowered, which will better suite higher elevation riders giving you the sensation of more grunt as you call it. But its minimal. Most so called engine builders selling the 860 or 880 wont touch it and send it off to be replated. Talking to the replating companies, alot of these guys are just sending the cylinders to these replate companies and they are boring them out and replating them with no porting at all! So the end buyer gets a very poor 860 or 880. Then they get on the internet and say how good it runs or doesn't. If only they could try a real ported 860. It would surprise them.
At Terra Alps we do exhaust port changes for high elevation riders, or turbo applications, something no one else does. With lots of porting in other areas. Also our head design which you have makes good power and acceleration.

Ted- nice to see you on here :)...I can add that my porting takes about 8 hours for the SHR860R...SHR also offers twin pipe, turbo, MXZ, Summit porting...as for some of your claims, I can agree (I have seen alot of porting) most could be done in 30 minutes a side (first one of yours was Dave Shells after he burned it down, needed very little work except to ex. port height for single pipe vs the twins)...I have fixed many (you name it, I fixed it)...as for what I have heard you say about my cylinders? ONLY leaves me to believe you have never seen one or you just throw everyone under the bus when a customer calls...and your haydays story??? thats funny...just saying...:face-icon-small-win

I have nothing to hide...ask Bob, he has seen alot of cylinders too...peeps have posted pics...1 guy, 8 hours, 4 porting tool set ups, retired engineer (very critical about his work) call Scott at US chrome about what my cylinders look like before/after porting...must be summer, just having fun :face-icon-small-coo BJ

FYI- I have OVER ported an 860...nosed over hard...some "old skool" technics dont apply...so in 5+ years and a couple hundred motors...I believe its a pretty tried/true combo and our worst enemy is the DOO ECM/clutching/chassis/track that could be out to lunch...a good running mountain mod incorporates ALL systems...not just a top end kit.

Last edited:
F

frog

Feb 16, 2009
MN
It might be best to give John a call this time of year....he's probably out mowing the yard or reading up on the art of polishing aluminum. :face-icon-small-ton

SLED HEAD RACING
612-718-3861

If he is not on the bike.:behindsofa:

big john bike.jpg

Last edited:
Premium Features