• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 Teaser Pic

Feb 28, 2009
someone said you can run a looser track for less rolling resistance but that would be one heavy skid and how long would that chain be on a 174

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
My dealer thinks we'll be seeing vertical post and belt drive. I have a feeling even if those were the only 2 upgrades on the whole sled it would handle awesome with the vertical post!

Who else is starting to get excited? I know I am! :face-icon-small-hap
(On a somewhat unrelated note, it's great to not be brand loyal. I get genuinely excited with all 3 manufacturers releases. Oops, sorry Yamaha. :face-icon-small-sho)

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
My guess would be someone mistook the words "rear drive" for "gear drive"

I.e. gear + belt drive

Either way should be a great sled.....

...for me to poop on

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I don't get the whole vertical steering thing. Its just different. Its not any better.

Not to mention it makes the sled feel heavier when your riding it.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I don't get the whole vertical steering thing. Its just different. Its not any better.

Not to mention it makes the sled feel heavier when your riding it.

Back when I lived in Wisconsin and rode trail sled I would rip the stock bars off and put on motocross handlebars. Some of my friends loved it, some hated it. I thought it gave great leverage and control when running 10" carbides. Others couldn't get use to the width.

For you to say it's not any better is true for you but not everybody feels this way for their type of riding. I believe BRP will pick the style of steering they feel the majority of riders want. It seems to me, that decision is heavily weighing towards a more vertical position.

D
Feb 28, 2011
BC, Canada
Wow, I never realized they had a new style Tundra. Shows how much I pay attention to anything but the mountain sleds... Looks like it came out in 2010.

Comes with a 154" unported track and a 600 etec. Cool! Lol at the old Yamaha phazer tube style front suspension though.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Something to think about. USI is based in NY. Very smart people, credited with the first UHMW ski in the early 90's and was sure it was prior to SLP.

In any case, USI was shopping this patent around in 09. It was pasted all over powersports news, etc. THey were trying to get one manufacturer to buy into this. All went quiet since. I wonder..as the time (09 - 13) seems like it would be enough time to perfect and get ready for production...

Ultimate Sports, Inc.'s patent for new snowmobile track system progresses

Posted Tue, Nov 17 2009 2:02 PM by AmSnow
Indiana based, Ultimate Sports, Inc. has moved forward with the patent process on the new snowmobile track assist unit. The project name for this unit will be the "Thruster," according to Global News Wire.

"Thruster" system will fit all popular late model snowmobiles produced by Arctic Cat, Polaris, Ski Doo and Yamaha.

"We have been busy testing multiple pre-production prototypes, and the results have been exceedingly positive. Our new patent-pending 'Thruster' snowmobile track assist system will revolutionize the snowmobile industry in track floatation, corner control and overall grip in all snow conditions. Floatation take off will be increased by 15% to 35%; corner control by 10% to 25%. Overall grip increase will be between 20% and 40%, depending upon the snowmobile and application it is used on,"said Kevin Metheny, President of USI.

Sales of this new system will be through USI's existing distributors and dealers. Existing manufacturers who currently purchase USI's product line such as Arctic Cat, Polaris, Ski Doo and Yamaha, will be given an exclusive opportunity for pre-launch inspection.

Rotax_Kid

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Regina, SK
Something else that went away very quietly that could be of interest..

Curve Industries Releases High Side Steering HSS

Curve Industries announces the release of a revolutionary suspension enhancement called High Side Steering or HSS. This patented system has been in the testing and development phases since 2005 and has targeted public availability for the beginning of the 2010 riding season.
Curve Industries has exclusive US and International aftermarket design and manufacturing rights to work under the patent of system inventor, Peter Nietlispach of Ontario Canada. Peter’s unconventional wisdom combined with Curve Industries engineering expertise is the perfect combination for this revolutionary system.

In short, High Side Steering enables a snowmobile to lean into a turn. This effect moves the machine’s center of mass inside of the arc path being carved during a corner. To accomplish the mass center transfer, the HSS system uses a series of specially engineered linkages which transfer torque from the steering shaft to a movable upper suspension mount. When the handlebars are turned, the inside shock moves up inside the chassis, picking the ski up. Conversely, the outside shock mount extends away from the chassis, pushing the ski down. Because HSS rolls the snowmobile into a turn, the ski’s keel angle moves further away from perpendicular, encouraging a positive approach and transition from apex initiation to straight away. Bottom line: the inverse movement of each ski causes the machine to tip in the direction of the turn, delivering cornering performance never before possible. Combined with Curve XS skis, this is the fastest way to hammer through a corner on a sled.

Curve Industries is currently nearing market release for 2003-2006 Arctic Cat F series models along with all Crossfire models. Also in development is a system for the Arctic Cat twin spar, Yamaha FX Nytro, Ski-Doo XP and Polaris Rush.

http://curveindustries.com/forum_show.asp?fcat=8&fid=1104&froot=1104

Wonder what this would work like for boondocking in 3ft of fresh?

Last edited:

-lenny-

Lifetime Membership
Jan 29, 2011
Whitecourt, Alberta
A new teaser....

post-75339-0-25303900-1331079085.jpg

Heres hoping this comes to be! Borrow the wife's hairdryer and peel the decals off, and you are good to go!!!

D

Dabull

Nov 26, 2007
utah
its true dealer called me today said i could snow check an all black x,he text me the same pic:face-icon-small-hap

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
Thank goodness. All black would be pimp. I can't get excited about the yellow. And have to have the x shocks.

Hoorah! All black here we come.

Premium Features