• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 clutching..CANT DECIDE..INPUTS PLEASE!!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
diamonddave, guinoxpress:

do you really think all their pipe have been tested on a dyno?
read what sled-werx came up with... power peak with the slp was reached at lower rpm! that was a real test with the same engine the same day.
the SLP chart is showing 165HP@7700rpm for the 06 900......big BS
http://www.startinglineproducts.com/img/dyno/06-900-Pol-Single.gif
krat
dyno2kool.jpg

source: 2koolperformance

So these dyno tests with the pipe weren't using the SLP reflash??
With that kind of BSFC, nothing would suprise me.

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
900 Clutching

I will be out in Togwatee the week of the 24th thru the 30th

I will be testing and seting up a 2006 900, that will be for sale when I return.

It is a brand new carry over from Dan's Polaris in Iowa with no miles on it.

I am very interested to see what set-up works best in it.

I will update this thread when I get back.

Note - I am pulling the new stock motor and selling it whole to anyone interested.

I built a different one TM III I am going to drop in before I leave.

Dan

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I will be out in Togwatee the week of the 24th thru the 30th

I will be testing and seting up a 2006 900, that will be for sale when I return.

It is a brand new carry over from Dan's Polaris in Iowa with no miles on it.

I am very interested to see what set-up works best in it.

I will update this thread when I get back.

Note - I am pulling the new stock motor and selling it whole to anyone interested.

I built a different one TM III I am going to drop in before I leave.

Dan

That must be one loooonnnnnggg trip. :D:beer;

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i hate to say it but thats what i was thinking...asked Dan a few times about the info he was gonna pass on but only got a few pointers...

they all have theire clutching secrets and Dan is a BUSY guy so i cant hold it againist him, lol...

maybe he will chime in if he gets some time.. ;)

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
I just wanna know what to run over here in ND at 1400' elevation lol. been looking everywhere and havent found anyone offering advice at this elevation. I'm not looking for the golden ticket but a good place to start...

Heres my other post about this.

I have an 05 900 RMK fresh from balancing by IndyDan. I run at 1400 ft elevation. I have an SLP single with MBRP can and Fire-n-Ice intake. Vents galore and lots of weight-loss action. I have the stock Drive and a tss-004 Driven. Gearing will be 18/40 with stock drivers.

I don't know what is in it or how long they have been there.
I am looking to get all new weights and springs.

I do mostly back country riding with some trail. Some climbing but mostly just large hills and some cliffs.

I am gonna get the 66/44.46 like stated above for the secondary but what spring?

Also where to buy.

THANK YOU!!!!!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
This is SLP's recommendations for your altitude...

0 -3000ft
Blue/Pink Primary Spring
SLP MTX 74g Weights w/3 g rivet in the outer hole

Use that helix you stated..and 2 Derlin Washer...

as far as a seondary spring..i would at least use the RED/PINK spring..i am going to try the Black/White, and then maybe one slightly stiffer then Black/white...forgot the color..

I have the red/pink now and it was great...alot are using that..

you can order the springs from the dealer...if not, look on babbitsonline.com

let me know if you need more help bro..

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
Heres a stinker of a problem... I can't find a torx bit strong enough to loosen the helix bolts on my tss-004..... I have twisted and sheared three heads already. Tried pb blaster and heat but only got one out so far. I'm outta torx bits and two of the three were craftsman

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
i would have your dealer do it..if they break something..they have to fix it...and let them bust their tools..IMO...

if you strip the torx out...it will be on your dime you know..

good luck man..

G

ghostwhite

Feb 12, 2009
Baghdad, Iraq
20 mins on the angle grinder got that junker helix off... tried to drill them first.

I have the new helix on order and will have to get some new bolts. Didn't damage the clutch though.

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
It's back!

Finally got this moved into the 900 FORUM now:D:D

I've been noticing A LOT of new clutching and gearing threads lately..... lotsa good stuff to read in here!:eek::D

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Heres a stinker of a problem... I can't find a torx bit strong enough to loosen the helix bolts on my tss-004..... I have twisted and sheared three heads already. Tried pb blaster and heat but only got one out so far. I'm outta torx bits and two of the three were craftsman

Did the same with Snap Off bit until mounted to impact driver with a 3lb drilling hammer and the heat wrench to bust the Loctite. Boy did that get them basstages out!!

S

sno_mo_racer

Oct 28, 2009
Kugluktuk Nunavut
a different crank design (counterweight, balance, strength, ...) will give you a different power curve. put it on a dyno and you'll see.

What I was saying was that all 900 stock engine (with no mod on compression, port, crank, piston) will produce their peak HP at about the same RPM. (corrected for standard ext air conditions)

Another thing to take in consideration is that the torque peak happens earlier than power (hp) peak. when the rpm drops (hitting powder) the torque increases at the same time and the increased torque feedback will help the clutches to back shift and bring the rpm back up.

the ideal shiftout point is a the hp peak. shifting before the power peak rpm is worst than after (no torque or hp feedback for back shifting) and shifting passed the power peak will make less power but at least produce more torque as the rpm drops.

i will put mine (stock + vforce3) on a dyno soon. but I am pretty sure the result will be the same as what we have seen so far (peak hp around 7100-7300).
krat

Just digging through some old threads. Interesting, wonder if the peak rpm on the '06 900 changed with the updated 32mm crank? Never gave it a thought. Anyone dyno with the new crank? BTW must've been a long trip or Dan didn't get anywhere with that 900 testing?

Premium Features