• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

'06 900rmk Intermittent Idle Trouble

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
My 900 intermittently wont go into reverse.It seems like a temperature issue.If I have the sled somewhere warm(garage)overnight and start it right up everything works fine.Reverse, idle, etc. all seem fine.If it's parked outside it's a crapshoot whether or not reverse will work.Sometimes it just wont even idle.I've been told that the TPS needs adjustment.Would that still be true if it seems like a temperature related issue.Any help would be great!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Confirming the TPS will remove any one of many problems.

It is the best place to start.

The next is frayed wire on the Stator harness.

WELCOME to the 900 club.... with intermitent interruptions. Been there done that.

Hope this helps ;)

my 900

After speaking with my dealer mechanic, I adjusted the "stop" but turning the hex screw in about a hlaf turn. This is acceptable to do if only adjusting less than one turn. This will bring your idle up accordingly. In warm weather the air temp sens will adjust the fuel . Thats why it wont idle properly. Try this, i think you will be happy'r'. I found riding warm days if i opened my hood to let the heat out this helped also.

Kurt

Last edited:
P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
When you say you adjusted the stop are you talking about the idle adjustment?Also how do you adjust the TPS?Do you need to take it off because I dont see any adjustment screws or anything on it.Thanks for the help!!!

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?p=355347

from Mountainhorse

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------On the CFI's you dont set it at WOT.... you set it at Idle...

The terminal is Vta, the center one.

Quote:
TPS BASELINE RE--SETTING PROCEDURE
The TPS comes set from the factory and should not need any adjustments. If replacing a TPS or resetting the TPS, Polaris has
developed a TPS test kit for aid in setting the Throttle Position Sensor to specification.
1. Assemble your TPS sensor tool (PN 2201519) as per the instructions that came with the tool.
2. Make sure your 9 volt battery is in good condition by inserting the black voltmeter probe from your Fluketmeter in the black
terminal and the red probe into the pink terminal. Voltage should read 4.99 to 5.01 volts. If not, try a new 9 volt battery.
3. Insert the red voltmeter lead into the terminal above the pink wire, and the black meter lead to the terminal above the black
wire. Slowly open throttle and check for smooth voltage change.
NOTE: The Fluke meter will change scales and show O.L. momentarily when throttle is opening.
4. Remove the throttle cable in order to take the slack out of the cable.
5. Back off the idle lock nut counterclockwise and then back out the idle adjuster (A) counterclockwise until the screw tip (B)
separates from the adjusted lever tab.
6. Turn the synchronization screw (C) counterclockwise until the synchronization lever is touching the synchronization screw
hole (D) tab.
7. Remove the connector from the TPS on the throttle body and install TPS sensor tool on to the TPS.
8. Place a shop towel under the throttle body incase you loose grip on the spring or thread a small wire around it if it should fall.
9. Remove the synchronization lever tab spring (E) and gently open and then close the throttle plateswith the throttle, allowing
the plate to close gently. Note the voltage at this point.
10. Insert the synchronization lever tab spring and screw.
11. Turn the synchronization screw clockwise until the volt meter reads the voltage level that you noted in step #8.
12. Loosen screws on the TPS sensor (F).
13. Adjust the TPS sensor until the voltage on the volt meter reads .705 -- .715 volts.
14. Tighten the TPS retaining screws, making sure that the voltage continues to read .705 -- .715 volts.
15. Turn the idle set screw clockwise until the voltage reads .930 volts.
16. Voltage at the yellow terminal should be .920 -- .940 volts at idle. Once the TPS voltage is verified and set, remove the sensor
tool and re--install the TPS harness

Extra info.

+5V to "Vc"
-5V to "E2" and to the (-) into your digital voltmeter
"Vta" is the output to the (+) on your voltmeter

Also, Remember this is not a TESTER....it is a tool for setting the TPS... you could have a "Bad spot" in the TPS and not have it show up on the meter..

To "TEST" the TPS, you need a good old fashioned analog volt/ohm meter, the kind with a needle and scale.

You hook the probes up to the Vc and Vta terminals and slowly squeeze the throttle lever... look for smooth movement of the needle on the meter without any jumping or dropping off the scale.

I had one TPS that "set well" but it had a dead-spot in it.

Also, The 5 volt regulators from Radioshack come as bad as well... Test for 4.99 to 5.01 volts, with a fresh 9 volt battery before you solder it together... I had 3 out of 5 test low for voltage from the ones I bought at radio shack.

Quote:
TPS TESTER

These are Radio Shack Parts numbers to assemble a homebuilt Polaris TPS tester.

2761770 - $1.49 +5VDC voltage regulator 1amp
2700324 - $1.99 9 volt battery connectors (they only come in a pkg. of 5)
2701545 - $2.99 Insulated Alligator Clips(come in a pkg. of 6 pairs)
2701802 - $2.29 Project Box
2300875 - $2.69 9 volt Battery

Total price for regulator, 1 battery connector, 1 pair alligator clips,
project box and battery was $7.36.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
i had a similar problem with my 900 no reverse and run like crap found the tp bad, replaced it and set it 5 times still couldn't get reverse checked everything i could think of 3 times finally i replaced the tp harness and wham fixed it. my suggestion anytime replacing tp sensor, replace the harness i went through alot of headache before i found this hope it helps you. the connector looked fine but something was up with it.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
Mine did the same thing. The harness was bad and the throttle lever needed adjustment. Fat part of the cable under the handle bars the rubber rolls down and you can tighten it.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Yep, the TPS harness wires are prone to breaking... INSIDE of the insulation

ARGHH!!
BrokenTPswire.jpg

Being too agressive with zip ties when securing these wires, or any wires in the Polaris sleds for that mater can cause ill results.

There is a TPS repair pigtail harness... its made for the ATV's but works well on the sleds.. the wire colors are differnt so you will have to pay attention to the position of the wire in the connector and make sure it goes the correct wire in the harness.

Polaris TPS repair harness Part # 2203165 about $35

P
May 2, 2008
Breckenridge, Co.
In addition to all this I found some Polaris paperwork that tells what the TPS is supposed to be set at. It is actually supposed to be set @.970 at idle at higher altitude. I'll give this a shot and let you all know if this helps as I am usually riding above 11000 ft.

Premium Features