• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tip on how to grease driveshaft and jackshaft bearings

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
I greased my IQr up tonight and figured I would post up my easy way of greasing the zerkless drive and jackshaft bearings.

First take a 1/16 drill bit and drill a small hole in each of the metal bearing seals,it is tricky getting a drill in there.I used a electic drill and found it works best to just go slow when drilling.

Hole in bearing seal,you can see where my drill bit danced around a bit when first tring to drill a hole. Drilling slow is the key to keep the bit from wondering.
resized_2009112203230900_1554.jpg

Next take a 8 guage needle grease tip and grind the sharp end off so it is flat,then using the grinder lightly round the end off the needle tip so it fits in the hole you drilled.This will seal the grease from coming out your hole when pumping.

Put the needle in hole and grease till you can hear it want to come out of the sides of the seal. When you are done greasing clean the seal up nice and put some RTV silicone on the tip of your finger and smear over the hole to seal it off,that way it will be easy to access when you grease it again next year. Doing this will greatly increase the life of your bearings.
resized_2009112203249353_1554.jpg

Last edited:

RMK-King

Super-Moderator
Dec 25, 2007
North Dakota
Keeping the drill spinning when you first drill through seems to keep all if any filings augured back. We have been doing this for years on farm machinery with no problems.

meathooker

Lifetime Membership
Jan 4, 2008
Boise, ID
thanks for the tip!

i got one of those holz speedo removal covers and put it on the draive shaft so i have a zerk on that one.

Premium Features