• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 Jackshaft Bearing Replacement??

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I am doing some "work" on my 05 900 and want to replace the Jackshaft Bearing while i have the motor and everything..

I know this bearing is not greasable..and overtime it WILL go bad..so why not replace it now..

That being said..will this bearing slide off once i unbolt the housing, or will it need to be pressed off (and have to remove the entire shaft assembly)??

The bearing is #8 in the diagram!

INPUTS!!
drivetrain.jpg

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
that bearing usually has a slight press fit to it. I am replacing that one too just haven't got to it yet.

you can just tap it off with a hammer most of the time.

won't be long now and we will be riding :D
went to the local dealer today to recharge my rear shocks on my timbersled skid. was talking to them because i had some issues last season he told me to check the pressure and sure enuff there was only 100 psi and supposed to be 200.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
thanks dawg..i will see if i can get it "tapped" off before i go extreme..will be a few weeks before i get to that though..need to finish what i am doing first, or i will be in over my head, lol..

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Guido....

The other thing that may be worth looking at is installing the flangette (#7) and bearing (#8) and the flangette gasket from a 2003 or so edge... those are greasable... the only question is if the secondary will clear.. I dont see any problems though.

If this bearing DOES go bad... it will wipe out the cast aluminum rear-motor-mount-hanger/bearing saddle (#10)

Jackshafts are expensive... you should be able to tap it off... but you will need a pipe or tube with the ID the correct size to slip over the jackshaft, but only contact the inner bearing race... the same goes for installing it.

IF you need to "Wail" on it... dont... take it to a shop to have it pressed off/on.

good luck

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
MH.

Thanks for the reply..i went out and pulled off the housing..#7 just to look at it..so i have any idea what people are talking about..

took some pics too..(with my cell, camera is broke) and the bearing is for sure installed from the Secondary side..i can see the top of the bearing...and on the other side i can see a "lip" where the bearing is pushed up againist..

so if i was to pull the shaft out, the bearing would need to be removed first anyways..so looks like i "should" be able to get it off with the shaft on..

i am pretty sure the 06 had to remove the shafts out, but mine is an 05..so might be slightly different..

comments from the pics??

bearing3.jpg

bearing.jpg

bearing2.jpg

mcfly13

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
bearing

the bearing is installed from the clutch side but!!
you can pull the jackshaft with the bearing installed to make it easier to replace
it is a snug fit on the shaft

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
I must be getting senile in my

Let us know how it goes.

MH

No I am confused reading this thread.

What is the difference between the 2005 and 2006 bearing?

Do you need to pull the jackshaft and chaincase to remove the bearing on a 2005 ?

What parts do you buy to make the bearing greasable?

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
I changed mine on my 07 600 rmk, but I had the shaft out, and my sled has a little over 5200 miles on it, and I had to have mine pressed off.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
thanks for the info Sxrlar..

how hard is it to pull off the brake rotor..and is there anything to watch for or be careful of when taking the chaincase apart/off, and same with removing the rotor..

i really should replace this bearing since its torn down this far..i will look into the grease-able info from MH above and see if its possible..

i wont be able to get to this bearing for 2-3 weeks..but i will see what happens and let everyone know..

but if anyone has removed a brake rotor on the 05 900 before..fill me in..thanks!!!

DONBROWN..i think the 05 bearing and 06 bearing are the same bearing, just different placement and use different housings..the 05 is pressed from the clutch side..maybe the 06 is pressed from the inside??

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
After looking at your pic above (poo microfiche) everything is almost identical on the 05 as it is to my 07, as far as the jackshaft, rotor set up. When I did mine, I unbolted the caliper from the chaincase, and slid the jackshaft out toward the secondary side. I did not unhook the brake line, or pull the pads, I did lock the parking brake, and as you slide the jackshaft out, just hang onto the caliper, the rotor and caliper will stay together as a unit. I then took a bunge cord and tied the caliper/rotor up, just so there wasn't any presure pulling on the brake line.

I guess the only thing to watch for when you pull the shaft is numbers 12, 14and 15 in your pic. 12 should still be attached to the shaft. 14 and 15 stayed on shaft when I pulled it, but they might not with yours. The book recomends replacing14 and 15, so I did.

I also replaced the bearings in the chain case, along with the seals, and also the drivshaft bearing, but, it was totally torn down to the tunnel, so it was the right thing to do.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Thanks!!

After looking at your pic above (poo microfiche) everything is almost identical on the 05 as it is to my 07, as far as the jackshaft, rotor set up. When I did mine, I unbolted the caliper from the chaincase, and slid the jackshaft out toward the secondary side. I did not unhook the brake line, or pull the pads, I did lock the parking brake, and as you slide the jackshaft out, just hang onto the caliper, the rotor and caliper will stay together as a unit. I then took a bunge cord and tied the caliper/rotor up, just so there wasn't any presure pulling on the brake line.

I guess the only thing to watch for when you pull the shaft is numbers 12, 14and 15 in your pic. 12 should still be attached to the shaft. 14 and 15 stayed on shaft when I pulled it, but they might not with yours. The book recomends replacing14 and 15, so I did.

I also replaced the bearings in the chain case, along with the seals, and also the drivshaft bearing, but, it was totally torn down to the tunnel, so it was the right thing to do.

Exactly the kins of info i was looking for..now if it works that smoothly on my 900, i will buy everyone :beer;:beer;:beer;...ok, maybe not..

THANK YOU SX!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Just wanted to let everyone know that i just replaced the jackshaft bearing last night..

it was SUPER EASY...was done on an 05 rmk 900..so i cannot tell you if its the same on the 06 900 or not..

All i did was..

--apply parking brake
--remove secondary clutch
--remove bearing retainer housing behind secondary
--remove chaincase cover
--remove upper gear
--remove snap ring behind top gear
--GENTLY tap on the jackshaft..i used a rubber hammer and it worked great..
--slide out shaft
--i used a vise hold bearing in place
--tapped on shaft in oppiste direction until bearing is released
--apply bearing in reverse order and assembly in reverse order..

bearing was $18 from polaris..

well worth replacing every 2 years to assure bearing does not "wear" and come apart..

Good luck...let me know if anyone needs help..

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Guido... if you did it in 15 min... I'm bringing you all my repairs...

Drain chaincase, pull muffler, pull chaincase cover, remove chain and upper gear, pull belt guard, remove belt, remove the secondary, pull the primary, pull the bulkhead brace above the primary, get to the ***^%$##@@ nuts tucked inside the bulkhead behind the jackshaft, get the brake rotor to release from the jackshaft (some are rusted), pull the jackshaft, press off the old bearing, press on the new one and reassemble?????

Dang.

Last edited:

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
LOL!!

well i just installed my motor when i did it..so i had the clutches and exhaust off already..

and the chaincase was empty still from installing the new billet cover...

ok ok...so if you have about 25mins to do this.. ;)

F

FatBoyzfrenchy

Nov 26, 2007
I don't know if anyone mentioned it in this post but I found issues with the bearing(8) would start to spin inside the motor mount assy(10) and chew the saddle bed towards the primary causing a lot of play in the jack shaft.
Make sure you locktite the bearing in the saddle so you don't spin it.

My .02

FBF.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
FBF..great point..i have heard that happening on the driveshaft bearing if you do not grease it often..

it takes a whole 5mins ;) to remove the secondary and shove some locktite in there..just to be safe..i would use the blue stuff

Premium Features