• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 50th 166 Q?

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Oh great........ 2 opposing opinions!!!!!!!!! WTF am I to do now????? I have a set of pistons in the mail on my way to me, do I go start the sled and back it out of the trailer or should I get the forklift out and lift it out so I don't blow it up????? Do I leave the pistons in the box in case mine bite the dust or??????

LMAO!!!!! :D:D

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
HA!

Oh great........ 2 opposing opinions!!!!!!!!! WTF am I to do now????? I have a set of pistons in the mail on my way to me, do I go start the sled and back it out of the trailer or should I get the forklift out and lift it out so I don't blow it up????? Do I leave the pistons in the box in case mine bite the dust or??????

HAHA...yeh always nice to get diff opinions on imp stuff right, lol..

no worries man..you will be fine doing whatever it takes to get the sled around..

Don knows his stuff, and has more time with them then i do, and some guys have never had issues with the 05 pistons..but i know a few that have had complete destruction from them..

if you have some 06 coming then good on ya anyways..just get to them when you can...i tend to freak out a little much sometimes..:eek:

but IMO..DO IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!! ;):beer;

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles

There is a technical bulletin issued by Polaris to Polaris dealer repair shops saying when they tear into the engines .... replace the pistons with the newer version.

There was/is a posting on here discussing why Polaris made this a strong suggestion (technical bulletin) and not a mandatory recall.

Some argue they did not do a recall because of money others say it is not too bad of a problem to warrant a repair just for the pistons.

Since you are already "concerned" do the change out. This will cause you to check out other things that go bad when messed with or after time in use.

They are:

Reeds
Intake boots
TPS wiring at throttle body
Throttle/oil cable
Oil hoses
new fuel filter

and while you are there you can decide to go a step further and pull the engine for:

new engine mounts
replace pull cord

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
I'll probably do it just so it's done, but I'll for sure check the bore size and make sure the clearances are all well within spec even though it only has about 800 miles on it or so.

The clutch will be going out to get balanced.

The intake boots were done.

Recoil rope is done.

Motor mounts are done.

FBF throttle cable is sitting here.

New fuel filter and float assembly recall thing sitting here.

Will be upgrading many of the mounting bolts to grade 8.

Without a forum like this with knowledgeable people such as yourselves with first hand experience on these beasts, us new 900 owners would be left in the dark and many trips to the dealer rather than riding.

SnoDmon

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Lewistown, MT
NGK BPR9EVX plugs for sure. I've got over 2000 miles out of a set. Second choice would be the Champion YCC but I prefer NGK much more than Champion. If they got an NGK to replace it, I'm runnin' it.

OIL - I mix mine up. Seems like theres always about 3 brands floating around my trailer and garage. I prefer Injex Pro. Synjex is a waste of money and the Pro has been proven so why go a step farther? If you like spending the cash run Synjex. I have a theory that Polaris VES Gold and Amsoil Interceptor are the same. The color and the smell is VERY similar. I was just recently turned onto Amsoil because of some reviews but mostly the price when you sign up with them as a preferred customer or whatever they call it. But there have been a few reviews that made me scared I was using it also. Polaris VES Gold is a very good oil though. But like I said I mix it up, tank of this, tank of that the next time, and lets throw in this stuff the next time for good measure. I was forced to buy some stuff at checkers in Great Falls once. I think it was Castrol but I'm not sure. You could ask swrev what I used. I think I left in in his truck last spring. It was our last ride lol. Passenger door pocket. LOL.

Otherwise I think your set. Sounds like your primary should be balanced. Make sure you have the rear side panel vents. Those are the important ones. Good luck!

Premium Features