• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What makes a good "LADY's SLED" ??

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Compliments build confidence.. And can be expensive from one year to the next. ;):)

Geesh, that was a long post for me.............:eek:

Good luck. BTW, What do you ride???
Thanks for the comments.

No one in my family "OWNS" a sled yet.
this is the year we will purchase.
All of us have been renting Ski-Doo Summit XP 600s or 800s for the last couple years.

While I REALLY like the sled a lot, and have had NO troubles with the rentals, I have heard horror stories about service and maintenance on them from a number of service techs here in Rigby. Bottom line, they all refuse to own one. On the far opposite end of the spectrum are the Yahama's, they seem to have almost no maintenance or service issues, and the techs all love them for their reliability. And that was why I was considering one for my wife and daughter both.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
No XP's Id shoot for 6-700 dragons or polaris'. And no more than a 155 track for maneuvering.
Why would you think that an XP is a poor choice ???

While they have NOT ridden anything else, so far as I can tell they have had a pretty good time on the XPs over the last couple years we have rented.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One of the common themes here seems to be ARTIC CAT....

What is it about the Cats that makes them so loved by so many of the women on this forum??

I have never ridden one, and know even less about them.. :face-icon-small-hap

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
I think that from the ladies I know, the M and Dragon are pretty neck n neck as far as numbers.

From what I've felt myself, the M tips over easily with out flopping all the way over like the Dragon. This gives you the pro of easier handling w/o the con of out of control. For me though, once you get them on their side the Dragon seems to come around easier.

I spent some time going back and forth between the 2010 Dragon and an 09 M8 and, to me, it felt like the M took just a little bit more effort to get it to do what I wanted. But both were alot of fun and held a sidehill with little effort, even in spring mush.

The big thing on the XP I don't like is clutch maintenance and/or replacement. It gets spendy...

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
The M is light and fluffy and I find my M7 easy for me to manage. When I went to look at my sled I just loved it right away. I could have gotten a new M6 for a little more, but the M7 just called my name.

BTW - I even know poo guys who would put the ladies on an M. :)

What is it about the Cats that makes them so loved by so many of the women on this forum??

Last edited:

WYsteph

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
WY
www.dxgillette.com

For me anyway, my cat is nimble, light feeling, and just a lot of fun to ride.

Last edited:
W

Wish

Apr 30, 2002
Tri Cities, WA
www.staceysdesign.com
Well I have an XP, and I LOVE it! :heart:

I think just the same as asking guys what sled is best..you are going to get differences.
When it comes down to it, to each his (or her) own. You have to love the sled that you get...so I would start by asking her what appeals to her...then get her on it, get her to compare it to another, she may find that another sled feels better to her, fits her needs better. IF it's possible try getting her to ride a few different sleds....
Then the key to me is...get that sled setup for HER. Dialing in the suspension etc.....getting her a boss seat :D:D:D;):p...things like that!
Some very small things have made huge differences in my sled, and I know this to be true no matter the brand.

So just to back my little XP...it's an awesome sled..I love the way it's set up, I've had no problems and I grin every time I see it!:heart:

F

foxyrmk

Nov 26, 2007
Milton-Freewater, Oregon
myspace
Well Christopher you have had lots of opinions and that's good.

I'm just going to throw this out there, if she is going to ride the trails most of the times consider getting the Simmons skis, less darting on the trails.

DEMO DEMO, have her ride different sleds if possible.

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
I just had the conversation with my wife last night. So here is the situation. We take a Family Christmas trip to Grand Lake every other year. The first year we did this she was unhappy at the results of the trip and didn't tell me until 2 years later. So this is the year for the trip and I want her to get back on a sled to enjoy the trip with the kids and I. So she ask me which of our sleds would be for her. We have a 2006 M-6 and it is the easiest sled in the world to ride. It rides,handles,and performs like a dream. Not to much engine to get crazy, like my 800,and enough track to keep from getting stuck all of the time. The entire point is I want her riding experiences from here on out to be good ones and not bad. And I want her to be able to WANT TO GO RIDE WITH US !!! >>>>.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The entire point is I want her riding experiences from here on out to be good ones and not bad. And I want her to be able to WANT TO GO RIDE WITH US !!! >>>>.

That is EXACTLY WHERE I AM AT!!

I WANT my wife & daughter to WANT to come and ride with my son and I this winter.!!

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS

I WANT my wife & daughter to WANT to come and ride with my son and I this winter.!!
### That's why I made the post as I'm putting a lot of thought into the upcoming trip. When we look back at the past trips the fun and the memories are PRICELESS !! And with one bad trip my wife was ready to quit riding all together. And one more thing to remember ""We always ride at the ability of the WORST RIDER that is with us and we always offer helpful tips to improve the riders this way the slower less experienced riders don't feel left out and get discouraged. I hope this helps >>>>.

Skinner

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
North Utah

Whatever you do……Don’t put them on crapy sleds. I have seen a lot of guys try to get there wife’s in the sport and give them their hand me down sleds. Don’t make that mistake. Buy her the best sleds that you can afford. They will have a much better time. Also make sure that they have the best clothing you can put them in. it doesn’t matter how nice the sled is if they are cold. I have the opinion that I want them to have the best so they love the sport as much as I do. Good luck….the ladies have gave you some good advice.

I
Mar 26, 2008
Proctor MN
Whatever you do……Don’t put them on crapy sleds. I have seen a lot of guys try to get there wife’s in the sport and give them their hand me down sleds. Don’t make that mistake. Buy her the best sleds that you can afford. They will have a much better time. Also make sure that they have the best clothing you can put them in. it doesn’t matter how nice the sled is if they are cold. I have the opinion that I want them to have the best so they love the sport as much as I do. Good luck….the ladies have gave you some good advice.

I totally agree with the gear quote above. Make sure your ladies have great gear-- if they are cold or can't move around well with the bulky clothes, they are going to get tired and not want to ride. Also make sure that hand and thumb warmers are working properly. My sis-in-law was burning one hand and the other was freezing-NO GOOD- she wanted to be done after one hour of riding, and who could blame her???
Again make sure the sled gets set up for her--shocks, bar riser, good skis, all these things make a big difference even for a new rider.
:)

Engine Pro 5x

Premium Member
Sep 20, 2009
KANSAS
Oh yes as I forgot another reason for getting my wife back on the trails. The kids and I don't want her to miss out on another group picture. As she thought this pic was so cool she used it for our Christmas cards the following year !! >>>>.
GrandLake2008010.jpg

Last edited:
P

Puddy Tat

Oct 4, 2008
Northern, Utah
Oh yes as I forgot another reason for getting my wife back on the trails. The kids and I don't want her to miss out on another group picture. As she thought this pic was so cool she used it for our Christmas cards the following year !! >>>>.
GrandLake2008010.jpg

she can miss out on that!!! LOL:D

S
Nov 26, 2007
Kennewick Wa
Obviously anything of the Twoski variety.

There is a Gal by the first name of Karen I met at the international motorcycle show with her guy, they supposidly live on Lake Tapps he has a 600, and of course hers was the Fan, she:cool: should have them both since he showed no signs of balance. Been a few wives who have tried the machines on some rides, but they don't ask for more.

My little sister will ride the 120JR every chance she gets, pretty good on a 503F, but can't pick up her husbands Outlaw when she falls.

Buy a fan anything and it will show them/her where she want's to go from there, Tammy's perfectly happy with her 82' Enticer with fower decals.:)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I totally agree with the gear quote above. Make sure your ladies have great gear-- if they are cold or can't move around well with the bulky clothes, they are going to get tired and not want to ride. .
:)
As discussed in a previous thread, that can be a real challenge.

Premium Features