• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2009-2011 Diamond Drive Bearing Failure

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

oldcrow

Lifetime Membership
Dec 13, 2007
Central MN
This is my opinion only. That torx bolt that BD-X uses is not intended to be taken out for the once a yr maintenance, its more like a one time use only (install). It is a self tapping bolt and rips the threads out when you pull the bolts out.

Stock junk torx bolt.
PB100016.jpg

I agree.
They are Triangular shanked thread-forming screws. Reusing these screws are the cause of thread damage in the case.

I recommend replacing with a stardard M6 x 1.0 button head capscrew.
Should be able to pick them up at an auto parts store or someplace like Fastenal (or you can order online)

Length may vary, I used 16mm on my dad's 07 Z1

H
Dec 28, 2007
Utah
gotter done!

:D I have a 09 m8 in the barn with 400 mile's, I would like to say thank's for the heads up on this post and all the pic. My bearing was toast now I can rest at easy and not miss out on a prime snow day. :mad:ARCTIC CAT I'am not too happy about this

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
2009 Crossfire 1000

Just changed gears in a 2009 Crossfire 1000 diamond drive and the stock bearing was gone. Well I guess I must be lucky. I have been inside two 2009 diamond drives now and both had the bearing failure.

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
6 Months since I wrote this post and still NO Response From Arctic Cat

I was just reviewing my post that I started last May 15th 2009,
as of now there has been 9770 people read the problem with the bearing failures. There has been 202 people write replies.

TO MY KNOWLEDGE ARCTIC CAT STILL HAS NOT PUT OUT ANY SERVICE BULLETIN YET ACKNOWLEDGING THE FACT THAT THERE IS A BEARING FAILURE.

I guess maybe cat doesnt believe what has been found by all their loyal owners of the 09 M8. I know it has been reported by numerous dealers.
RickM

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
yeah

Cat offered to replace mine with the same one, but I out the fat bearing in. I'm sure cat is blaming bdx for the bearing failure.

quickkarzracing

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
bearing failure

maybe we should foward them all the pictures & post and tell them next year we will be buying other sleds, then they might recognize the problem and go good for there in house problems just my 2 bits.

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
On my 2009 the bearing went in just fine.. On my 2010 I had to trim a little off the gear (where the bearing bottoms out) to get it to set all the way down in order to get the cover closed..

RickM

Premium Member
May 25, 2006
Central Wyoming
Kid Rock --- Sled Stormed

Read some of the earlier posts here on what needs to be done to get the needed clearance so the cover will fit back on.

They mention loosening the 16 mm bolt that goes in from the brake side. You need a long extension with the 16mm socket, if you loosen the bolt "they said it would let the planetary move enough so the bearing and gear fit into the case OK, then tighten the bolt up."

There is pictures posted with their information. you will just have to scroll back and find them.
Hope this helps you out. RickM

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
Read some of the earlier posts here on what needs to be done to get the needed clearance so the cover will fit back on.

They mention loosening the 16 mm bolt that goes in from the brake side. You need a long extension with the 16mm socket, if you loosen the bolt "they said it would let the planetary move enough so the bearing and gear fit into the case OK, then tighten the bolt up."

There is pictures posted with their information. you will just have to scroll back and find them.

I've already had my DD out the sled several times . I've tried everything to get it the cover to close without forcing it on. There's two other 2010's that I know of who are having the same problem. The cover teeters on the transfer gear. If you force it (aka: packing a hand grenade) it will close but you will notice the gears make excess noise (which can't be good). I just trimed a 1/16 off the gear (where the bearing bottoms out at) and it now fits in the planetary flush and the cover closes without force.

M
Nov 26, 2007
After I put the wide bearing in my 2009 M8. I put the cover on and it would not push on by hand all the way, it felt like it was teetering on something in the middle, I got it close and used the cover bolts and went around and tightened them all a little bit at a time to get the cover on.

Is this not the right way to do it? Should the cover just push on easy by hand?? I have not run it yet to see if the gears make noise like mentioned in the post above??????

Last edited:

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I would like to pull the gears out of the Diamond Drive and clean the case (because there is very dark colored goo still seeping out of the case).

How do I do this? I thought I read that there is a snap ring that needs to be removed and the entire gear set comes out? Is it really that simple, because i have to tell you, so far after dealing with the Diamond Drive, I am starting to miss the simplicity of a standard chain case (especially the rubber seal). I'm still waiting on a Diamond Drive gasket.

Last edited:

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
After I put the wide bearing in my 2009 M8. I put the cover on and it would not push on by hand all the way, it felt like it was teetering on something in the middle, I got it close and used the cover bolts and went around and tightened them all a little bit at a time to get the cover on.

Is this not the right way to do it? Should the cover just push on easy by hand?? I have not run it yet to see if the gears make noise like mentioned in the post above??????

My 09 M1000 had no problem I think it's just the 2010's. The stock spacer/bearing on the 2010's is thiner than the 09's thus allowing the transfer gear to sit lower and when you apply the double row (which is thicker then the 2010 stock bearing/spacer) this causes the tranfer gear to sit higher in the planetary and causes the teetering of the cover.. Just what I've found..

T

tcpeterson

Jan 14, 2009
Orofino, ID
Well i can't beleive that AC has not done anything about this. I am finally going to get a chance to pull the sled out next week on Tgiving break. She has 1000 miles and i'm afraid of what i'm going to find in the case after reading all of these posts.

M
Nov 26, 2007
My 09 M1000 had no problem I think it's just the 2010's. The stock spacer/bearing on the 2010's is thiner than the 09's thus allowing the transfer gear to sit lower and when you apply the double row (which is thicker then the 2010 stock bearing/spacer) this causes the tranfer gear to sit higher in the planetary and causes the teetering of the cover.. Just what I've found..

So you are saying the 09's cover should just slide right on?

I am wondering if I should take mine off and try it again, but I tried numorous times. Even taped(hit) the cover with a handle of a hammer to get in on, with no luck. Till I tighten all the bolts in a criss cross pattern to get the cover on....seemed to go on fine that way

skidooboy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
central lower michigan
MM, from rickm above. ski

Premium Features