• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blackhills Conditions #2

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Met up today with a fellow Snowester for a ride (off the clock). Spent most of the time in the trees. Only once did I bump a stump with the front end. Felt some stumps pass under my track. There was enough snow in some of the bad blow down areas I had no problems riding over the top of the down trees. Found many areas with over 3 feet of base. Sunday I was down to Moon and based on the new snow on the plowed roads the Moon area got 16-18 inches of new snow from this last storm.

20180212_140430.jpg

M
Jan 12, 2018
Thanks a ton for all your posts sdsnocop!!

Planning a stop by for a ride on the way out west and was wondering what violations you typically see from riders when you are on duty out there.

I don't speed or drink and ride, and I'll buy a trail permit. What else should I be doing to keep you from chasing me down!?

:face-icon-small-hap

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Thanks a ton for all your posts sdsnocop!!

Planning a stop by for a ride on the way out west and was wondering what violations you typically see from riders when you are on duty out there.

I don't speed or drink and ride, and I'll buy a trail permit. What else should I be doing to keep you from chasing me down!?

:face-icon-small-hap

I most typically cite snowmobilers for no or expired snowmobile license. The only thing you missed is stay out of posted private property and the closed cross country ski areas. Also remember if your sled is currently licensed in your home state you do not need to buy a temporary (trail) pass.

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Just put a "I hart chaparrals" sticker on your sled you'll be good to go.

Seriously thou make sure if u have a wrap on your tunnel that your VIN number is not covered.

P

Prokid21

Jan 20, 2013
Black hills snow conditions

Hey guys headed out to trailshead on Friday. Wondering how the snow was holding up seen it might of gotten a little warmish out there today. What direction from trails head is the best ?

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
Hey guys headed out to trailshead on Friday. Wondering how the snow was holding up seen it might of gotten a little warmish out there today. What direction from trails head is the best ?

Never got out of the 30's today up at the Trailshead area. 37 when I left at 4pm. I think South is better but you will find good snow any direction.

P

Prokid21

Jan 20, 2013
Thanks a lot I see there's a pretty good chance for new snow tomorrow as well. Fingers crossed :face-icon-small-hap

I.P.Yellow

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
My daughter and future son in law are going to Deadwood this weekend and may take my sled to ride the Black Hills. It is currently licensed in North Dakota, do they need to buy an out of state trail pass? By the way, thanks for the updates.

Nodaker

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2008
VC, ND
Friends and I were there last weekend as well, and yes it was good.:face-icon-small-hap
Got to meet up with a new rider and touched base with Duane at Trails Head as well. Had a great time...

Black Hills Feb. 2018 (13).jpg Black Hills Feb. 2018 (5).jpg

skivoice

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 1, 2012
Aberdeen, SD
Took the kids up to Dumont lot this morning, snowed hard till about 11, skies cleared around 3 got cold and windy. They probably got between 2.5 and 3.5 of fresh powder. Rode a little off trail and was very happy, tomorrow will be mostly of trail om the wyoming side will let you all know it is holding up.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Awesome

I would like to thank all the groomers for keeping the Black Hills trails in great shape. I was out last weekend and the traffic was busy. I met the groomer a couple times and every morning leaving Deadwood I rode on smooth fresh trails. I visited with Snocop out in the meadows and would also like to thank him for all his spot on snow/ trail reports. He is truly a friend to the sledders.

M
Feb 8, 2018
Far NC iowa
We left early from Deadwood yesterday, trails we're the smoothest I have ever been on anywhere, which was good since I had a front shock blow out 10 miles in.
Looking forward to a foot of new snow today and tommorow for more offroad riding.
Shoutout to Rice Polaris employee(Brian??) for hooking me up with a place to find a used shock.

Premium Features