• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I thought these 850's had weak front ends?

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
Polaris dude. I try not to engage in personal attack because I find them unprofessional and non-productive but if you do, so be it. I view that as childish. I'm not an f'dude either, so you misunderstood me when you implied that I am. My point on this thread is, which got off topic by people making comments about the loud sleds in the original video, that it doesn't matter in the end people will try anything to end sledding on public lands. Noise is just an easy means for them to use, which happens to also be easy to get people on board. You can measure decibel level but someone has to decide what is an acceptable level. Laws that prohibit loud vehicles usually happen around or in neighorhoods, which are usually below 55 dBA, largely depending on time of day, and less in rural area. Recreational areas can be as high as 98dBA, which depends how large the areas are, usually smaller areas have lower dBA levels. Sleds can access backcountry areas that most skiers can't and don't go. Depending on the terrain and conditions sound level can diminish relatively fast and in short distances. I've had many conservation with sledders that hate hearing louder sleds due to aftermarket pipes. I don't have one on my sled and I don't care for them. I'm more concerned about my hearing, than the small weight reduction and HP gain from them. Even if sleds didn't emit sound would more areas open up? Would people stop fighting for closure of our riding areas? Some backcountry skinny skiers and stick walkers don't like the sound of any sled. Some also don't like the presence of sledders just like other sledders don't like seeing each other.

I have meet some skinny skiers that like the presence of sledders. One lady in her late 50's told me she wouldn't be able to ski if it wasn't for the snowmobile tracks she skis in. I think there is a great opportunity for sledders and backcountry skiers to come together. More and more backcountry skiers are using snowmobiles to access the backcountry. It's much cheaper than heli-skiing. I also don't hear people complain about the noise these helicopter emit. Where is the outcry and do-gooders?

Last edited:
D
Mar 13, 2014
Polaris dude. I try not to engage in personal attack because I find them unprofessional and non-productive but if you do, so be it. I view that as childish. I'm not an f'dude either, so you misunderstood me when you implied that I am. My point on this thread is, which got off topic by people making comments about the loud sleds in the original video, that it doesn't matter in the end people will try anything to end sledding on public lands. Noise is just an easy means for them to use, which happens to also be easy to get people on board. You can measure decibel level but someone has to decide what is an acceptable level. Laws that prohibit loud vehicles usually happen around or in neighorhoods, which are usually below 55 dBA, largely depending on time of day, and less in rural area. Recreational areas can be as high as 98dBA, which depends how large the areas are, usually smaller areas have lower dBA levels. Sleds can access backcountry areas that most skiers can't and don't go. Depending on the terrain and conditions sound level can diminish relatively fast and in short distances. I've had many conservation with sledders that hate hearing louder sleds due to aftermarket pipes. I don't have one on my sled and I don't care for them. I'm more concerned about my hearing, than the small weight reduction and HP gain from them. Even if sleds didn't emit sound would more areas open up? Would people stop fighting for closure of our riding areas? Some backcountry skinny skiers and stick walkers don't like the sound of any sled. Some also don't like the presence of sledders just like other sledders don't like seeing each other.

I have meet some skinny skiers that like the presence of sledders. One lady in her late 50's told me she wouldn't be able to ski if it wasn't for the snowmobile tracks she skis in. I think there is a great opportunity for sledders and backcountry skiers to come together. More and more backcountry skiers are using snowmobiles to access the backcountry. It's much cheaper than heli-skiing. I also don't hear people complain about the noise these helicopter emit. Where is the outcry and do-gooders?

You are spot on. I also came across a group of people riding a couple years ago "skinny skiers" we stopped to make sure they were ok. They thanked us for our tracks, said they have not been able to get here all year... I have other hobbies that get attacked way harder than sleds, when it does happen we all have to be willing to fight.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
You can argue why all you want, however I sled, dirt bike and trials ride. The noice makes a huge difference. Here in Canada max db is 94bd, however measuring an all stock 450 off the showroom it falls in a 120db, this is insane and stupid. To give you and idea that sounds 5 times more loud to someone who does not dirt bike. Kind of like if you are on a plane and don't like babies or have one and one screams in your hear, it bugs you way more. BC and Alberta are the only provinces in canada that don't have a sound restriction and it is probably coming, it does not need to be loud to be fast, tesla has proven that every time they release a new program for their car. If you point at other groups to try and make you look better than you are no better than the groups that point at us. It has to start somewhere and that is usually you or me! I already have, have not had an aftermarket can on my sled for over 8 years, runs better and has not slowed me down one bit, also use a quieter pipe on my dirt bike, and well my trials bike is so quiet.

S
Jun 9, 2011
Idaho Falls
After we solve the sound problem....what's next? They also want to get rid of the 2 stroke epidemic we have in the backcountry. Although very efficient, they still burn oil. Let's all give in and switch to 4 strokes.....you know it's coming and we might as well do it.

I

i'llDooit

Nov 27, 2007
Duvall washington
Watch the video. not hard to see that the stock sled is climbing more efficiently. Just playing around or not you're climbing a steep hill in Pow. All 3 sleds are wide open. Stock wins..might want to switch to a can that does not lose performance.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Watch the video. not hard to see that the stock sled is climbing more efficiently. Just playing around or not you're climbing a steep hill in Pow. All 3 sleds are wide open. Stock wins..might want to switch to a can that does not lose performance.

Ya because there couldn't be any other variables.

D
Mar 13, 2014

I read a report from Washington State that 2 strokes cause over 1000 baby penguins to be born premature without beaks. This makes them unattractive to the females so they can't reproduce.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
it does not need to be loud to be fast, tesla has proven that every time they release a new program for their car.

Teslas are one trick ponies... Most people don't know this but the car takes 5 minutes to cool the batteries before it can do it's ludicrous mode 0-60. Then the car has to go into extreme cool down mode so it doesn't melt down. Not to mention you zap half the batteries life in one quick 0-60. Look at its 0-100 times. They are horrible. The car gets smashed by every single 500 HP car. Elon is always trying to fool the system! How's that for an even more off topic post in this thread??? :eyebrows:

E
Jan 8, 2012
Alberta, Canada

Well mine is the stock one but i really do find them to be identical performance as i have actually rode both and even have video evidence and you are just angry for some reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Teslas are one trick ponies... Most people don't know this but the car takes 5 minutes to cool the batteries before it can do it's ludicrous mode 0-60. Then the car has to go into extreme cool down mode so it doesn't melt down. Not to mention you zap half the batteries life in one quick 0-60. Look at its 0-100 times. They are horrible. The car gets smashed by every single 500 HP car. Elon is always trying to fool the system! How's that for an even more off topic post in this thread??? :eyebrows:

Okay. How many years has the technology been improving with the combustible engine? Been around 70 years longer in a design, mass production environment? And how many billions more have been designed and manufactured than the Tesla?

How many years has Tesla been around?

You're comparing apples to oranges. How many years of the combustible engine has it taken to have daily drivers coming off the production line at 500 Horsepower?

The electric car has been making gains in tech exponentially faster than the combustible engine over the same time.

Bash the Tesla all you want but let's see where they are at in 5-10 years.

I'm seeing 3-4 of them everyday commuting home on I-5.

As for my 2 questions, I can only wonder why only 1 person tried answering.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Really hard to change people. People grew up on noise is power. I remember when the m7 came out and the were selling m7 to m8 kits like hot cakes. They made more noise and sounded meaner but they were a joke. Nobody took the time to compare because they sounded faster. Well, they were a joke. I seen stock m7's beat the ones with m8 kit. Noise isn't power anymore. It's just noise.

D
Mar 13, 2014
Okay. How many years has the technology been improving with the combustible engine? Been around 70 years longer in a design, mass production environment? And how many billions more have been designed and manufactured than the Tesla?

How many years has Tesla been around?

You're comparing apples to oranges. How many years of the combustible engine has it taken to have daily drivers coming off the production line at 500 Horsepower?

The electric car has been making gains in tech exponentially faster than the combustible engine over the same time.

Bash the Tesla all you want but let's see where they are at in 5-10 years.

I'm seeing 3-4 of them everyday commuting home on I-5.

As for my 2 questions, I can only wonder why only 1 person tried answering.

Not really since the first electric car was about 40 years before any combustion car, stop being misinformed.

E
Jan 8, 2012
Alberta, Canada
Really hard to change people. People grew up on noise is power. I remember when the m7 came out and the were selling m7 to m8 kits like hot cakes. They made more noise and sounded meaner but they were a joke. Nobody took the time to compare because they sounded faster. Well, they were a joke. I seen stock m7's beat the ones with m8 kit. Noise isn't power anymore. It's just noise.

Ever seen top fuel dragsters? Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

stmike

Dec 22, 2008
northern Ontario

Just like most HD,just noise.:face-icon-small-dis

M

Mountain_Man

Apr 17, 2014
Western Montana
Are they loud? Got me on that one.

Top fuel dragsters are the definition of loud, I spent quite a bit of time at drag strips in the past. You can feel it in your body when they go by. Here is a you tube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CN4uAQzI1rs

The video will give some sense of the intense loudness but the problem is our sound systems can't even begin to reproduce the loudness, you just have to experience it in person.

From Google:
The engine of a Top Fuel dragster generates around 150 dB of sound at full throttle, enough to cause physical pain or even permanent damage.

Each three-decibel increment represents a 100% change in sound pressure. In other words, assuming Top Fuel dragsters landed somewhere in the 150-dB range, they are over 100 times louder than the Cameron Crazies. EVEN A MILE AWAY, in a suburban cul-de-sac near zMAX, decibels reach into the 90s when the NHRA is town.

Premium Features