• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Looking for more info on Shot start

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Hey guys, anyone have more in-depth info on the Shot start system. Ive gone through whats out there. We've been experimenting with Super caps on our sleds all year now. Our last test showed that the Super cap pack we are using so far has held it charge for 11 hours and then started the sled. (2013 XM) at 14.2v
Im just trying to find out what part of the Shot system is causing such a rapid drain on the Super caps? So far the only thing I can come up with is the Etec computer stays energized. Or the Super caps Doo is using are just way to small.

We'll find out this fall, as were going to be snow checking one. Thanks Christopher!!(been reading your threads) We were a pretty solid Yamaha guy. Well that and the Cat chassis the Viper has really opens our eyes. HAHA

Cheers

Allan

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Hey guys, anyone have more in-depth info on the Shot start system. Ive gone through whats out there. We've been experimenting with Super caps on our sleds all year now. Our last test showed that the Super cap pack we are using so far has held it charge for 11 hours and then started the sled. (2013 XM) at 14.2v
Im just trying to find out what part of the Shot system is causing such a rapid drain on the Super caps? So far the only thing I can come up with is the Etec computer stays energized. Or the Super caps Doo is using are just way to small.

We'll find out this fall, as were going to be snow checking one. Thanks Christopher!!(been reading your threads) We were a pretty solid Yamaha guy. Well that and the Cat chassis the Viper has really opens our eyes. HAHA

Cheers

Allan

Are you using a charge resistor with your capacitors to protect the lighting coil from overloading? We use 50 Watt resistor.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Cheers

Allan

Right there with ya Allan.
LOVED my Viper.
It was a HUGE step forward for Yamaha.
But the 850 just handles SO MUCH BETTER.
And if you liked the Viper with boost, just wait till you take a boosted 850 out for a spin. OH MY >>..

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
Are you using a charge resistor with your capacitors to protect the lighting coil from overloading? We use 50 Watt resistor.

The Ucaps were using are pre built onto a circuit board, that has the safely measure built in. Im not sure I would trust just the Ucpaps just on their own.

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
That is exactly what I have heard as well!

Thats encouraging. 30 min seems to me way to short. Since Im seeing 11 hours so far from our Ucap pack. My suspicion is the magneto or the computer is "active" so its causing a drain on the system.
What are you hearing in regards to times? 60min? 2 hours?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Dave Narona has a video on Youtube on the Shot system. After waiting an hour with the sleds off, the sled started with Shot.

He said after 35 minutes with the sled off, the system goes down to 95% and after an hour, it's down to 80%.

The longest he's gone that he's posted about is two hours with the sled off, and it started up.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Dave Narona has a video on Youtube on the Shot system. After waiting an hour with the sleds off, the sled started with Shot.

He said after 35 minutes with the sled off, the system goes down to 95% and after an hour, it's down to 80%.

The longest he's gone that he's posted about is two hours with the sled off, and it started up.

actually more like 2.5 hours and started but then did a little over three hours and it did not start. Yes Ski-Doo is downplaying the shot system and also it works better in the warmer climate of BC over Quebec and colder places...so keeping the numbers low allows for worse case senerio

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
actually more like 2.5 hours and started but then did a little over three hours and it did not start. Yes Ski-Doo is downplaying the shot system and also it works better in the warmer climate of BC over Quebec and colder places...so keeping the numbers low allows for worse case senerio

That is impressive!

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
I wonder what the weight advantage of SHOT is over the G4 e-start with a light weight battery (i.e. earthx)

I'm willing to bet it's within 5 lbs ..

I love the idea of not having a starter motor ... but why didn't they use a light weight battery instead of the capacitor (probably with no weight penalty) and there would be no need for pull starting .. ever :juggle:

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008

Hi Dave, thanks for the input. Nice to get some first hand info. Do you know why the Ucaps drain? Is it because the computer is "active or energized" for the system to work?

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
I wonder what the weight advantage of SHOT is over the G4 e-start with a light weight battery (i.e. earthx)

I love the idea of not having a starter motor ... but why didn't they use a light weight battery instead of the capacitor (probably with no weight penalty) and there would be no need for pull starting .. ever :juggle:

With SHOT, you lose the starter and ring gear.

If you kept the starter and ring gear and went with a lightweight battery, you would not save as much weight.

I like the idea of the SHOT system because you get light weight and the pull start too.

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007

Cheers

Allan

So you had designed a similar system to Shot starting a little over a year ago or what were you using the super cap for?

Barcode

SnoWest Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Sep 8, 2008
So you had designed a similar system to Shot starting a little over a year ago or what were you using the super cap for?

Our's started off as a way to send more consistent voltage to the Vipers ECU. With a lower voltage it would case some issues. And the light weight Lithium batteries were horrible in super cold weather. So we were looking for a alternative.

B
Feb 18, 2009

Keep in mind with the Shot you NEED a pull start whereas with the ES you do not so that can be another 5 lbs or so for the Shot system. I know a lot of people add a recoil to ES models for backup but I bet 99% have never used it other then if they let their battery die.

As for why they didn't just use a battery for Shot or a hybrid ES is because the battery probably can't release the same amount of power in a burst like the capacitors can...

I hate starting code sleds in an enclosed trailer (limited room to pull) so I'm going with the ES and will likely add a EarthX battery at some point to bring down the weight...

Tahoe54

Lifetime Membership
Dec 14, 2007
Our's started off as a way to send more consistent voltage to the Vipers ECU. With a lower voltage it would case some issues. And the light weight Lithium batteries were horrible in super cold weather. So we were looking for a alternative.

Interesting, were you guys selling this in a kit at all?

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
With SHOT, you lose the starter and ring gear

The 850 doesn't really use a ring gear (clutch mounted) like the traditional sled e-start. The starter engages the flywheel on the magneto. The teeth on the flywheel I'm pretty sure aren't removable.

Premium Features