• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

G4 Sidehill

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I love reading the arguments about paneling out and the washout.
The current Doo does BOTH, if you are not experiencing it then you are either not riding in the right conditions or you are not riding hard enough. Come ride here in McCall, I will take you out and demonstrate both problems within 8 miles of the parking lot.
After riding with a lot of different folks from around the country this year, I have realized that everyone thinks that they are riding the current sleds to their potential, but very few actually are. (Including me.) If you don't push the current Doo's performance limitations, you do not know that they have them.
That being said, the G4 is better in every way. Paneling out, washout, both. I rode the 165 and it felt like it was much much shorter.
I locked out my 154 T3 T-motion last week, it was interesting. It held a sidehill better without washing, it didn't do that crazy Doo, brodie slide thing on the gas, yet it randomly flopped down like the XP used to do. I liked it in some situations, disliked it in others. I took the lock off last ride, and disliked the wishy wash. Both took getting used to. I think if it wasn't a cheesy Skinz lockout washer that I used, I would have left it locked and learned to ride it.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
Have a t3 174 and never had a problem sidehilling it, so to here the G4 is easier worries me a bit.. I don't want it to feel anything like a poo.. Happy with the doo stability climbing and don't want it any more flick able ..

Saying that it sounds if you keep it stock the skid is fine.. Turbo it and aftermarket skid is a must..

R
Feb 29, 2016
I feel the EXACT way. I have been on Doo's my whole life, but love the way my Pro handles, gets out of the snow, and holds a sidehill. I hate the reliability of it. On the other hand Doo's have been very reliable, hold up mechanically much better, unless you hit something in the front end.
Cheers
Shawn

Have you had some issues with the Polaris? I have been riding them for several seasons now and not had reliability issues. The Axys has been dead reliable and I see zero evidence on the forums that the Doo is somehow more reliable.

Seems to me like you are running on old information because I do not see a Polaris reliability issue...

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I'll bet the farm a G4 165" will side hill better than your 154" XM. Next winter when guys can throw their new summits around in some tight steep terrain we will read about it and might see it in person. Of course the same riders were doing this on their old sleds but now its a 2017 and its gonna be news.
I ride a 14X summit 154. Pretty much stock except for a few minor changes. The snow conditions in Tahoe change like the wind around here. From nice and fluffy to heavy wet, and the ever present wind hammer. The machine definitely performs and side hills better in certain snow conditions. But we always try to push it no matter how the snow is right?
Something to try in the mean time. I know another adjustment to the "old XM".. I swapped out the stock skis with Polaris Grippers, centered them on the spindle and adjusted the toe-out a bit more than spec. I've found with that combo the ski can lay into the side hill better and while in a counter steer you can control your line up and down with greater ease.

B
Nov 25, 2012
Didn't want to get flamed for that either but I have grippers on currently. I have them centered with Polaris spacers. I haven't tried the toe though I have them running straight.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
I find it rather ironic that all the really good riders I have ridden with don't talk about the limitations that their machine gives them. However, every time I get stuck in the flat I blame those damn wide Ski Doo panels!

Truck Stuck.jpg

R

rockhead00

Apr 10, 2011
Calgary, AB
I have rode both xm and pro and definitely the xm wants to head straight up hill when on steep side hill. I don't think it's the panels or wash out, it's the flex edge track. I think it folds to much and the lugs bite and force sled up hill. I bet gen 4 will have same problem and all skidoo's will until they scrap the flex edge. And those how think throttle control etc does/will control this problem are not riding steep side hills or not as steep as the poo can doo lol

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
100% agree that the XM has issues holding a sidehill in certain conditions, especially compared to the Pro/Axys.

I am also really curious if the Gen4 will be a little better at the sidehills than the XM was.

MikeMetzger

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 2, 2013
Edmonds Wa
I find it rather ironic that all the really good riders I have ridden with don't talk about the limitations that their machine gives them. However, every time I get stuck in the flat I blame those damn wide Ski Doo panels!

Jeremy take this photo for you......

B
Nov 25, 2012
Chadly I find it funny that you are ripping on people that think there is a flaw with how the Xm's handle a sidehill. Even selling your two sleds in the swapmeet you are ripping on, "it doesn't "panel out" like all the other wusses on Snowest's sleds seem to do that they post about crying to Ski Doo on the forum. " But both of those sleds are pretty heavly modded, with the narrow boards and new suspension. Yet stock xm's ride perfect in your eyes??? So why didn't you just ride it like it came from the factory?

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
I have rode both xm and pro and definitely the xm wants to head straight up hill when on steep side hill. I don't think it's the panels or wash out, it's the flex edge track. I think it folds to much and the lugs bite and force sled up hill. I bet gen 4 will have same problem and all skidoo's will until they scrap the flex edge. And those how think throttle control etc does/will control this problem are not riding steep side hills or not as steep as the poo can doo lol

That's why we have snowbikes ;)

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Anybody that says a xm doesn't panel out isn't riding or is just kidding themselves. if you put brand bias aside and ride an axys it goes through the snow way better than anything I've ever rode. In the right conditions the xm will dive into the sidehill and the combination of the diving, wide boards and panels, the back end will start to wash. It is not that you can't recover but it might make the difference of whether you make something or not. I have had the axys almost going stuck and you can literally push with your feet and feel the sled lift out of the snow and pick up speed. Even the pro wouldn't do this. Anybody that thinks drag in the snow doesn't make a difference is just naive or kidding themselves. That is why underpowered and undertracked snowbikes go through the snow so good. You could spin my old nytro around, on the flat, and feel the drag overpowering the track. My wifes t3 174 was the same way but the track would overpower the drag. I have had an xm stuck on the flat or even downhill. It is the combo of diving and wide and fat and even the length of the boards.
As for how the gen 4 sidehills, my bet is it will be way better. It is higher and narrower and shorter boards. It isn't as narrow as they portrait because the boards are still fat. they moved some weight back and lengthened the front end alittle. So my bet is it will be way better than an xm. With the t motion and flex edge it is still going to have a tendancy to turn up hill. Just have to ride them a little different than the axys. I think the axys will be better in the steep sidehill department but a good rider will take them both to the same place. The doo will be more fun or better everywhere else. I am going to have both to ride for next year so I will know better next winter.

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Chadly I find it funny that you are ripping on people that think there is a flaw with how the Xm's handle a sidehill. Even selling your two sleds in the swapmeet you are ripping on, "it doesn't "panel out" like all the other wusses on Snowest's sleds seem to do that they post about crying to Ski Doo on the forum. " But both of those sleds are pretty heavly modded, with the narrow boards and new suspension. Yet stock xm's ride perfect in your eyes??? So why didn't you just ride it like it came from the factory?

Because I have small man's complex and I need to make sure I have the most expensive mods so I look good driving through the bikini stands on 99 in Everett ?

Chadly

Forum Expert
Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2013
Snohomish, WA
Anybody that says a xm doesn't panel out isn't riding or is just kidding themselves. if you put brand bias aside and ride an axys it goes through the snow way better than anything I've ever rode. In the right conditions the xm will dive into the sidehill and the combination of the diving, wide boards and panels, the back end will start to wash. It is not that you can't recover but it might make the difference of whether you make something or not. I have had the axys almost going stuck and you can literally push with your feet and feel the sled lift out of the snow and pick up speed. Even the pro wouldn't do this. Anybody that thinks drag in the snow doesn't make a difference is just naive or kidding themselves. That is why underpowered and undertracked snowbikes go through the snow so good. You could spin my old nytro around, on the flat, and feel the drag overpowering the track. My wifes t3 174 was the same way but the track would overpower the drag. I have had an xm stuck on the flat or even downhill. It is the combo of diving and wide and fat and even the length of the boards.
As for how the gen 4 sidehills, my bet is it will be way better. It is higher and narrower and shorter boards. It isn't as narrow as they portrait because the boards are still fat. they moved some weight back and lengthened the front end alittle. So my bet is it will be way better than an xm. With the t motion and flex edge it is still going to have a tendancy to turn up hill. Just have to ride them a little different than the axys. I think the axys will be better in the steep sidehill department but a good rider will take them both to the same place. The doo will be more fun or better everywhere else. I am going to have both to ride for next year so I will know better next winter.

That's good that you are bi. The world needs more people like you who are bi and are willing to come out.

R
Feb 29, 2016

I still do not understand why there is a chain case cover where my foot needs to be? And a brake rotor on the other side, no?

Hopefully what Terry says is true, moving the balance back a bit, raising the sled and making it narrower will all be improvements.

The things that keep me from buying Doo's like all my riding buddys are...

Steering post angle
Stuff in the footwells
T-motion and flex track
More weight, less balanced

Maybe that is the stuff that makes them different and will not change. I think the 850 motor with new clutching is going to be great. I think the rest looks like a minor upgrade. Maybe I am wrong and the Doo's will be able to keep up next year... Just messin with you guys (-;

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I still do not understand why there is a chain case cover where my foot needs to be? And a brake rotor on the other side, no?

Hopefully what Terry says is true, moving the balance back a bit, raising the sled and making it narrower will all be improvements.

The things that keep me from buying Doo's like all my riding buddys are...

Steering post angle
Stuff in the footwells
T-motion and flex track
More weight, less balanced

Maybe that is the stuff that makes them different and will not change. I think the 850 motor with new clutching is going to be great. I think the rest looks like a minor upgrade. Maybe I am wrong and the Doo's will be able to keep up next year... Just messin with you guys (-;

To each thier own. I buy skidoo because of the steering post angle, tmotion, and flex edge track. Ya they may be a little heavier but they are more durable. And this new chassis is light and very balanced so stuff in the foot wells is really the only thing I have noticed I don't like. If they all built sleds the same we'd cuss about them not being different from each other. Lol. I think skidoo did very well on this sled.

Premium Features