• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Can't find any info on the 2.25 Peak Track

J
Feb 25, 2015
MAINE
Gonna snow check an SKS. 3 track options I'll have to choose from.

I can only assume the 2.6 is for the total mountain guy? I could be wrong?

What exactly should the 2.25 Peak track be best at?? I can't find much of any info?

I'm a trail riding guy that could answer many questions about the Axys Switchbacks new set up and new H.O motor because I just put 2,000 miles on the "S" this year and still riding hard here in Maine. So now you know I'm not out in the mountain ranges of the west. We do have wooded mountains and Lots of Logging Tote roads to boondock here in Maine but I'll be totally new to those experiences. All the sleds I've ridden are usually buried everytime I pull off trail and try to attack something aggressive. The "S" is an awesome trail sled and I'll be keeping her for next year. When the trails are in great shape I'll hop on my "S". Anytime we have good heavy snowfall it will be SKS time. Can't wait to go break trail after big storms and I have to see what this Boondocking stuff is all about.

I know a lot of people have been all over the 2.6" track offered but I can't seem to get much info on the 2.25 Peak? Not sure if it's because the 2.25 is that much less capable. Heard about tracks that trench??? I definitely don't want my first long track experience with my new SKS to be 2.25 WEAK "If you know what I mean" It might be the right track for me here in Maine and with my inexperience level? I don't know? Maybe the best track is what everybody is talking about. The 2.6" might truly be the best experience on the SKS 155".

Any info on the 2.25" is appreciated. Any other opinions related to my references I'd like to hear as well. THANKS.

Latitude 62

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 29, 2008
Summit Lake, Alaska
The 2.25 is the best for trail, lake, or hard pack conditions of the three. On the RMK's the 2.6 is listed as the most versatile with the 3" option for the hard core powder guys. Sounds like because you have the S, you may want to go with the 2.6. There is a thread in here that depicts a Polaris graph showing the RMK/SKS 2.25, 2.4, 2.6, and 3" tracks with their range of use as far as snow depth. Check out the "What are you snowchecking?" thread, Post#37.

Last edited:
D

daldera

Mar 13, 2015
Sounds like you should go with the 2.6 to me. You already have the trail sled, why limit yourself track wise with the 2.25?

563ef3965bb7621a2252c55006b52d5a.jpg

SRXSRULE

Lifetime Membership
Aug 25, 2002
Lets not forget, that track chart from polaris is for mountain riding, NOT trail riding. There is no way I would want a 2.6" track for any kind of trail riding, even the current 2.4 is pushing it.
A 2.25" track is MORE then enough to get off trail and do some exploring in the NE.
Eric

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
2.25 peak is an awesome track to rip around on trails, lakes, harder set up snow, and even marginal powder conditions such as swamps and forests. This track will get better traction and make the sled take off and stand up on end. It has much thicker lugs which makes it function more like a hill climb race sled. It is a much stronger track than the 2.4 or 2.6. I wouldn't be worried about tearing lugs off with the 2.25 if I had the track pinned over logs under the snow, rocks, ect. This is the track the assault RMKs have always come with standard. However, in the deep powder you find out west this track will tench out much more.

I've always had the 2.4 on my sled, and ride mostly Minnesota/UP with a trip out west or two each year. The 2.6 will be more like the 2.4. It will work fine in all the areas stated above PLUS the deep powder of the mountains without problems as long as you are cautious. This track has thinner lugs and spins out easier on trails and lakes if you pin it from a stop. I'm on my second track as my skid hit a knocked over wooden fence post in a track stand which ripped a little. However in 3000 miles on the second track I've only got a small tear in 1 lug. I've ridden over rocks, logs, gravel, water, creeks, spun around on ice, and ran over plenty of trees. All you have to do is be cautious with the throttle to keep from damaging the track in those conditions.

As previously stated, if you already have a trail sled, go with the 2.6 to keep from limiting yourself. It works well on trails, lakes, swamps, mountains and you won't be disappointed, just don't pin it over rocks and such, give it half throttle to keep from spinning as much and it will last! Enjoy! I'm going with the 2.6 on my SKS

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I have the Peak 2.5 on my '09 777 RMK. It is awesome in more set up snow and doesn't do to bad in powder. Here's a pic of the 2.5 Peak. I believe Yamaha came out with a 2.25 version in 2011 or 2012 called the Ascent. FYI these things throw a massive rooster tail, no will tailgate you ever again. LOL

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I assume since kieth curtis was selling a sled with the peak track on it that it was outperforming the competition track.

My brother had a peak on his pro and it was decent in powder but would trench a little in the fluff.

Good all around track.
Great for riding wheelies for days. ;)

Premium Features