• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XPS Oil

D
Jan 4, 2010
colorado
I completely agree with you and what the act says but all that hassle you will have to go through fighting Skidoo would really suck. I this its BS too. By the time you fight Skidoo the winter will be over and your sled will still be sitting in the dealers shop in pieces. But some one or a team of people has to stand up against the MAN and stick it too them for sure. Its crazy that the one piece of paper they make you initial when I purchased 4 new X's this year. But it does say "It MAY void warranty if Skidoo oil is not found when your tank is dipped". Then the dealer told me of the situation they had last year and Skidoo denied the warranty. Total BS, Skidoo is leaning on the side that no one will actually fight them on it because it will take so much time and money to win. BUMMER Skidoo :crazy:

cb2honk

Lifetime Membership
Jan 19, 2009
Western iowa
i'll be running legend, and have for the last 3 years in new sleds. I'll just dump it out, and put doo oil in if something happens. XPS oil smells horrible and is not near as good as legend oil.

S
Dec 8, 2012
ND
Back when I bought my first etec in 2011, the book said syn. blend and my dealer told me synthetic, I was kinda pissed but then came to find out that it was a misprint in the book and in fact was synthetic that the etecs were recommended to be running. I never had any problems with XPS oil. I find it interesting that there are so many penny pinchers running $12k plus snowmobiles, all oil is expensive if it is worth a sh*t, and as far as the "smell" thing, are we talking about cologne or oil? who cares.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Back when I bought my first etec in 2011, the book said syn. blend and my dealer told me synthetic, I was kinda pissed but then came to find out that it was a misprint in the book and in fact was synthetic that the etecs were recommended to be running. I never had any problems with XPS oil. I find it interesting that there are so many penny pinchers running $12k plus snowmobiles, all oil is expensive if it is worth a sh*t, and as far as the "smell" thing, are we talking about cologne or oil? who cares.

Most of us "penny pinchers" are running a BETTER oil than the xps that tests about as awesome as .... average... Though it is always fun to have someone who is too narrow minded to look for better oil than the one a sales (er, user ;) nudge nudge) manual tells you to, condescendingly looking down on us for spending less (or more, I can get xps cheaper) on better oil, I LOVE THAT!!

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Tapatalk

S
Dec 8, 2012
ND
well I have never heard of any downside to running a manufacturers oil in a new sled if something bad enough happens where they start looking for oil samples. Besides I would like to know the percentage of people who are running these aftermarket oils that actually keep a sled long enough to see the rewards of the "better" oil.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
well I have never heard of any downside to running a manufacturers oil in a new sled if something bad enough happens where they start looking for oil samples. Besides I would like to know the percentage of people who are running these aftermarket oils that actually keep a sled long enough to see the rewards of the "better" oil.

Funny... I've seen a lot of warranty claims with buddies of mine over the years on pteks, and I know NONE of them use XPS... and I've never once heard of them asking for an oil sample.

AGAIN, AS HAS BEEN STATED MANY TIMES, THEY CAN ASK ALL THEY WANT, BUT THEY CAN NOT DENY WARRANTY BASED ON OIL.

YOU FEARMONGERS WHO WANT TO KEEP POSTING THIS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE CAN KEEP POSTING IT, AND THOSE OF US WITH A BRAIN WILL CONTINUE TO SHUT IT DOWN. THIS CRAP GETS REALLY OLD... IT'S BEEN DEBUNKED FOR MANY MANY YEARS, AND YOU LOOK REALLY STUPID STILL SAYING THIS GARBAGE. STOP BEING SO GULLIBLE & LOOK BEYOND THE CURTAIN.

Btw, if you're really that gullible & believe dealers like Steamboat Powersports who are feeding you BS so they can sell product... then buy 2 quarts of XPS, go ride with what you want... and when you have an issue, throw the sled on it's side, drain the good oil, then put the overpriced middle of the road oil doo sells in the tank before you bring it in. This isn't complicated boys. Don't be a sucker.

Last edited:
T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Funny... I've seen a lot of warranty claims with buddies of mine over the years on pteks, and I know NONE of them use XPS... and I've never once heard of them asking for an oil sample.

AGAIN, AS HAS BEEN STATED MANY TIMES, THEY CAN ASK ALL THEY WANT, BUT THEY CAN NOT DENY WARRANTY BASED ON OIL.

YOU FEARMONGERS WHO WANT TO KEEP POSTING THIS ABSOLUTE GARBAGE CAN KEEP POSTING IT, AND THOSE OF US WITH A BRAIN WILL CONTINUE TO SHUT IT DOWN. THIS CRAP GETS REALLY OLD... IT'S BEEN DEBUNKED FOR MANY MANY YEARS, AND YOU LOOK REALLY STUPID STILL SAYING THIS GARBAGE. STOP BEING SO GULLIBLE & LOOK BEYOND THE CURTAIN.

Btw, if you're really that gullible & believe dealers like Steamboat Powersports who are feeding you BS so they can sell product... then buy 2 quarts of XPS, go ride with what you want... and when you have an issue, throw the sled on it's side, drain the good oil, then put the overpriced middle of the road oil doo sells in the tank before you bring it in. This isn't complicated boys. Don't be a sucker.
Got to agree Sold Doo's for 9 Years. Not 1 motor that blew in 07-08 and there was a few Lol ,but anyways there was not 1 request for a oil sample:gossip: Cheers

R
Mar 16, 2010
They can get all the oil they need out of the oil pump if the motor goes back to BRP.

Asked a friend if he's been asked for a "sample" of oil - never.

Bunch of ridiculous misinformation here. I don't know where it comes from.

Has anyone actually had a warranty claim denied BECAUSE OF OIL?

(I actually know the answer to that question....)

N
Nov 8, 2013
Is everyone using XPS synthetic in their 800 etec or is there other options?

Picked up my Summit this past weekend and got a jug of XPS with the deal. Have 20L of Shell Synthetic home left over and that will be used before I purchase more. Shell states it on the back of their jugs for use in Ski-Doo, Yamaha, Artic Cat (when they work) and Polaris.
Anyone have any issues with Shell oil, I used it for several years in my Switchback without any problems, knock on wood!!!!

NoSoup4U

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2009
Northern Utah
They can get all the oil they need out of the oil pump if the motor goes back to BRP.

I'd also like to hear from someone that has personally had their warranty denied because they didn't use the Manufacturers oil. Not your uncles, brothers, cousins, friend, but you personally. Also, the form you sign when you pick up your sled doesn't say you will void the warranty if you don't use BRPs oil. It is a carefully worded statement from BRPs lawyers that is intended to confuse. What it says is that the only oil BRP recommends is their own oil and gives you the impression that only their oil is acceptable. They were very careful not to say that you are required to use their oil to maintain the warranty.

Last edited:
oils have JASO and ISO ratings. OEMs have to tell you the rating requirements they approve for use. if your oil meets those ratings, you are 100% safe. last I checked doo was Jaso FD. I think amsoil is only FC, but its been awhile since I checked. In my 09 XP I run sea and snow, which meets all the rating requirements.

Personally. I have run amsoil yrs ago and have seen torn down motors that ran it and they are too dry for my liking. I like my motors wet with oil. I wouldn't run amsoil if it was given to me, but that's my choice. A person can run whatever they want....... as long as meets the jaso and iso ratings.

Some simple goole searches on the subject will explain in depth.

Posted from Snowestonline.com App for Android

R
Mar 16, 2010
Not sure if it was this thread or a different one (what? More than one sky-is-falling oil thread?), but someone had posted that the "sticker on their 14 oil tank said they had to use XPS or the warranty would be voided."

I looked at the stickers on some 14s today. Hooked on phonics, y0, that's NOT what it says.

I don't have a 14 to look at; my 13 has the same basic sticker - BRP recommends, use of feces-oil will void warranty, blah blah blah.

Sooo....oil meets minimum requirements = no warranty issues. Simple.

D
Jan 4, 2010
colorado

The piece of paper I initialed for the 4 new 2014's X's I picked up said your WARRANTY MAYBE BE VOIDED IF SKIDOO DETERMINES THAT SKIDOO OIL WAS NOT USED. key work MAYBE

As for the oil samples it did happen last year at the dealer I use. and the sample thing seem to start when the etect's came out. I will see if I can scan the paper and post it.

Here is a study that amsoil did yes I'm sure they may be a little biased because it was put out by amsoil but there is some good stuff putting xps vs interceptor. http://www.amsoil.com/performancetests/g3039.pdf

This is kinda like Ski Doo conducting their own test against Arctic Cat and having a conclusion that the Ski Doo sled is better. Looking at the pic of power valves, that is exactly what I saw when I ran Amsoil, it left hard crusty deposits where the xps didn't.

No where in the document did I give JASO or ISO oil ratings. It doesn't matter if the oil is 10x better than XPS. IT need to meet the rating requirements that DOO has placed on the oil that needs to run in Etec. If the oil ran is an lower grade that doesn't meet that rating, they do not have to warranty no matter what the mfg's oil test says.

but, on another note: Fuel is more of a cause of burn down than oil. There should be more of a focus on that than oil.

rmk all the way

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Dayton Wa
Yes that is very true they don't give the iso or jaso ratting but one would assume if the were going to go through all the work in testing the e-tec it would meet those standers. And I didn't read the amsoil warranty but this was at the end of it and i think it you lost a motor due to oil and foo wouldn't warranty for some strange reason you should be covered under it. This was at the end of the study.

the right to use aMSOil inteRcePtOR in Rotax engines without voiding the warranty is protected under u.S. federal law by the Magnuson Moss Warranty act of 1975. aMSOil additionally warrants the use of inteRcePtOR in all Rotax engines according to the aMSOil limited Warranty (G1363).

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The piece of paper I initialed for the 4 new 2014's X's I picked up said your WARRANTY MAYBE BE VOIDED IF SKIDOO DETERMINES THAT SKIDOO OIL WAS NOT USED. key work MAYBE

As for the oil samples it did happen last year at the dealer I use. and the sample thing seem to start when the etect's came out. I will see if I can scan the paper and post it.

The key word isn't maybe, the key word is GULLIBLE, or FEAR-MONGER.

IT'S ILLEGAL FOR THEM TO DO THAT, SO YOU CAN KEEP POSTING THIS GARBAGE, BUT AS LONG AS YOUR OIL MEETS THE STANDARDS, THEY CAN'T DO ANYTHING.

Btw, the maybe DOES apply if you use junk oil, like if you're putting walmart oil in your etec... YES, that makes sense. There are ratings on oils for a reason, and as long as your oil meets the certification rating, you're FINE. This MAYBE you keep worrying about EXACTLY makes sure people aren't using garbage, as in that case they DO deserve to have their warranty voided.

Premium Features