• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2014 XM etec HPS can

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
I paid $400 for a 5" full exhaust on my damn CC LB Chevy......5x the material.........HA!

That is the exact same friggin problem I am having with this whole can thing. Would like to put one on my new XM I have coming........but Im sorry, 370 plus shipping is absolutely retarded for what you are getting. The last can I bought was for a 2010 but I dont think I have ever paid more than 200-250. And even that is alot of money for what is actually there!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I would have to disagree. Had an hps on my 08 xp and after while it was so loud I was embarrassed. Better than some but still loud.

Had dealer put my can on last year before I picked up my sled.

That's the problem with ANY packed can IMO... that's why I'd prefer to get a baffled can from someone like diamond S (not sure who else uses stock type baffles instead of packing.)

Any of these packed cans will get WAY louder, and will perform differently as they lose packing.

I won't buy a packed can ever again unless the dipsh**s making them make them re-packable. The sled industry is asinine that we have to pay $300+ for a little can, yet it's not packable like EVERY other can out there. STUPID.

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
Just got off the phone with SLP. Theirs is a baffle design......no packing. 14lbs weight loss, nice sound, 300 retail with ceramic coating. Think I am going to go this route.

Anyone know where to get a deal on SLP stuff?

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
With SLP the pipe/can is a 14lb loss....just the silencer is closer to 9lb. if I remember correctly. Still a nice loss and almost as quiet as stock.
I wish Doo would make a quiet and light silencer like Poo did. :face-icon-small-con

D

deaner

Nov 26, 2007
Creston, BC
This is right from their web page. they claim 16.1 for the entire setup.

"This new silencer boasts a healthy 14 pounds of weight savings on 2014 models (11.6 pounds of weight savings on 2011-13 models). Extensive dyno tuning and field testing has been done to insure this silencer is compatible with the stock fuel injection system on this engine. Finished with ceramic coating."

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
This is right from their web page. they claim 16.1 for the entire setup.

"This new silencer boasts a healthy 14 pounds of weight savings on 2014 models (11.6 pounds of weight savings on 2011-13 models). Extensive dyno tuning and field testing has been done to insure this silencer is compatible with the stock fuel injection system on this engine. Finished with ceramic coating."

I'll gladly take a 2lb or so penalty to have a can that will stay the same next year as it is this year.

My Cutler turbo was SOOO nice sounding when I got it, not super quiet, but very reasonable, but 2000 miles later the next year it was horrendous. I felt bad riding with the thing, as that sled stood up a lot, so it poited the exh. outlet right at whoever was in front of me. I felt like the douche in the bunch despite buying what WAS a quiet setup.

I'll be doing SLP or Diamond S... the Diamond S is still the lightest can out there I think, but the baffles make it more ideal IMO. I just know SLP probably has more time testing theirs.

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
I was going to do HPS but the cost has turned me away. $370 for a small muffler is crazy. I'll be doing the SLP because of price, the baffle design, and how quiet it is. I agree on noise being one of our biggest enemies, however the stock can is ridiculously heavy and sounds like sewing machine.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
Yup.....14lbs savings for the 2014 xm can from SLP, no hp increase claims but thats basically 3hp right there right? If you say 4lbs per HP on the XM roughly and your dropping 14......HA!

Post it here or private msg me if u find a good price on SLP.I also read they suggest using the silicone sealant.....

Update: i pulled the trigger on the SLP, rocky mountain snowmobile $270 free shipping

Last edited:
S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
Yup.....14lbs savings for the 2014 xm can from SLP, no hp increase claims but thats basically 3hp right there right? If you say 4lbs per HP on the XM roughly and your dropping 14......HA!

Post it here or private msg me if u find a good price on SLP.I also read they suggest using the silicone sealant.....

Update: i pulled the trigger on the SLP, rocky mountain snowmobile $270 free shipping[/QUOTE

Anyone have SLP on XM and is the RTV needed?

S

skidoo_guy

Nov 26, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Anyone have SLP on XM and is the RTV needed?

I had one on my sled all last year from mile zero. I didn't know I needed to put anything on it so I didn't and didn't have any issues. Where is it suppose to go and what is it suppose to do?

I do love the quiet sound of that can and 2 of my buddies have bought one after I did.

S
Nov 26, 2007
Washington State
I guess i wont need any then. I'm kinda dissapointed in the workmanship, welds specifically. I'm hoping it lasts for a few years. What's your review of the SLP? Just a weight saver and no performance improvement?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Can someone tell me how many extra springs i need to install the HPS can over whats on the stock XM ? Thanks

S

skidoo_guy

Nov 26, 2007
Bismarck, ND
I guess i wont need any then. I'm kinda dissapointed in the workmanship, welds specifically. I'm hoping it lasts for a few years. What's your review of the SLP? Just a weight saver and no performance improvement?

I have been happy with it so far. I just did it as a weight/space saver and was not looking for any performance improvement. There are many people that say there is no performance improvement to be had with an aftermarket can over stock with skidoo anymore.

From experience with the HPS on my XP you shouldn't need any extra springs. I believe you end up having to move one of the hold downs (drill out rivet and move to a chain case bolt) or use 2 springs piggybacked for the back hold down.

Premium Features