• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has gone from Pro to XM?

N
Nov 14, 2012
A couple guys mentioned how quick they were comfortable on the new XM. I just rode one on a demo ride and i had the same thing. So easy to get comfortable. And I'm coming off of a 1997 RMK 700! I was expecting to be completely lost on a brand new sled but by the time we made it to the top of the trail i was siding hilling and climbing like I never thought I would. I am definitely looking to buy one now... Amazing sled

R
Oct 27, 2009
I have a set of XM Summit X front shocks for sale. Less than 100 miles, then I switched to my old Evols.
Send me a message if your interested.

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon
Since I spend time on both the Pro forum and here in the XM section I find it comical how much guys defend the Polaris. It is just a matter of time.

And I find it comical how much hate you guys throw in Polaris's direction. I have talked with two dealers close to me about the 13' models and none of them have had any belt problems OR motor problems. My cousin and his wife both ride 12' 800 and 600 Pro's...guess what? No problems.

I guess when you're on top people only want to see you fall, but the way you XM and some Cat guys go about it is nothing short if immature. :face-icon-small-dis

T
Jan 30, 2010
And I find it comical how much hate you guys throw in Polaris's direction. I have talked with two dealers close to me about the 13' models and none of them have had any belt problems OR motor problems. My cousin and his wife both ride 12' 800 and 600 Pro's...guess what? No problems.

I guess when you're on top people only want to see you fall, but the way you XM and some Cat guys go about it is nothing short if immature. :face-icon-small-dis
Try not to lump all of us doo people in the same bunch. I and I'm sure of many other doo people have a healthy respect for the pro and it's abilities. I've spent a bit of time on a buddy's pro and definetly noticed its qualities. I think some of the xm people are just excited about the improvments made over the xp. I think we have it pretty good these days. All 3 of the 800's available today are the best mountain sleds ever made! I say pick your poison and go ride!

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
The XM do need a bit of clutch work, but you might as well wait till it is broke in. That way the ECM is not screwing around with you.

I had a 12 pro last year, it was a fun sled but I'm back on skidoo this year and waaaayyyy more fun than my pro.

I fell the exact same way, I believe the the pro is a great sled, but the XM just fits me better, I did not like my 2012 Pro could not figure out how to ride it!!! I have friends (can ya believe it) anyhoos that prefer the pro. The XM just works for me :amen:

Last edited:
T

trestlecreek

Sep 19, 2010
Does the 600 e-tec come with the fancy track and t motion that the xm comes with? Or is that only on the 800's. Comparing the 600 pro to the ski doo 600....

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
Does the 600 e-tec come with the fancy track and t motion that the xm comes with? Or is that only on the 800's. Comparing the 600 pro to the ski doo 600....

2014 Ski-Doo Snowmobiles
2014 Ski-Doo Summit X 800 will lose 10 – 15 pounds. The XM is the best Summit made, but could use a diet. So could I. I will cut back on the fries for my 2014 beefcake body.
The 600 Summit ETEC has the best 600 class motor, the 2014 Ski-Doo Summit 600 E-TEC may have the best chassis and motor as the XM chassis will be added to the 600 ETEC Summit. The less expensive Summit 600 Sport will remain in the old XP chassis to keep manufacturing costs down.
The big surprise this year (unless you’re reading Sled Rumors) will be the return of a Ski-Doo Summit 1000. This won’t be your grandma’s 2007 Ski-Doo Summit X RT 1000 SDI. The 2014 Ski-Doo Summit X 1000 XM will only be 10 pounds more than the 2013 800 Summit and come in at 190 horsepower.

Looks Like I will snowchecking a 1000XM & put her on a diet

D

Dizzle

Nov 19, 2012
Oregon

The 600 Pro is always mentioned in every mountain sled review from the magazines. I didn't even know the Summit comes in a 600. Hmmmmm...:face-icon-small-ton

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
Sold my turbo Pro and picked up an XM 163" and really like it. Liked my Pro alot as well, but for me being a bigger guy at 6' 4" 240lbs, I really like the ero's of the XM it just feels more open to me. The Pro I felt a bit crampt on it, that was really my only complaint. For me the XM has great power for a stock sled, handles as well or better boondocking, and over all just seems a better fit for me personally. I'm having an absolute blast on my XM so far, now if I just had the power of my turbo Pro in it, I'd be in Heaven..........:face-icon-small-hap

S

skooter

Dec 11, 2007
Montana
Rode my 12 pro first time this season been riding xm or proclimb . The snow was deeper so thought i would ride the pro . Like riding xm the best going to sale proclimb and order 14 xm use pro for back up sled.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
The 600 Pro is always mentioned in every mountain sled review from the magazines. I didn't even know the Summit comes in a 600. Hmmmmm...:face-icon-small-ton

Not this year, dealer thinks next year for sure, they would be stupid not to. (In an XM chassis I mean.)

TS Drag Racer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Wa. st
Rode my 12 pro first time this season been riding xm or proclimb . The snow was deeper so thought i would ride the pro . Like riding xm the best going to sale proclimb and order 14 xm use pro for back up sled.

I had a 2012 Pro Climb, put 3k in mods into it to lighten it up and give it a little more hp and I like my XM way better stock with a can, than I did my Pro Climb with mods. Now I just put on a Team tied clutch, along with some other goodies on my XM and there's no way in h*ll, I could ever go back to riding my old Pro Climb. You're making the right decision............

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Got to ride a xm again. Never thought I would say this, being as die hard pro as you can get, but I like the xm better. It is just smooth and effortless. It has some tradeoffs but the positives outweigh the negatives. I will wait until after the demo ride before I make my mind up. Pretty sure it will be my next sled.

X

xxjaredxx

Dec 8, 2012
WA
Agreed. This has been a great post. Although I'm still confused on which one i want and which one will fit me best. I hear the doo's clutches are not there best feature and that when it comes to sidehillin, they don't compare to the Pro's. Last year being my first year riding, next year i'm set on getting a new sled. Although if someone could give me some more input on the sidehillin and clutch.. that might be able to help me make a decision.

B

beefspots

Mar 10, 2008
Dayton, Wyo.
I love my Pro..............but its just human nature to be curious about the grass on the other side of the fence. I have booked a demo date with the XM and am very anxious to see the difference. Thanks for the honest info on this thread.......I will post my input in March.

JW

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
I have a Pro, love the chassis and 'feel', it does some amazing things.

I also look forward to trying a XM, if I can ride it even close to what the Pro is capable of, I'll be sold.
I'm still a skeptic on Poo's longevity/reliability. Some/many have been lucky. Some are not at all... I tend to have all the issues a sled is capable of having, so I'm still afraid of whats to come.

Anyway..as long as the Etec and its associated electronics 'last' I'll compromise [if I have to] with the chassis/weight. Sounds like the XM's weakest link [as expected] is the rear suspension.. But at least guys are riding them out w/ some ingenuity. That doesn't happen w/ a broken drive shaft, or hole in your crank case.

Thanks all for the reports/feedback.

X

xxjaredxx

Dec 8, 2012
WA
So i did the xm demo today. This sled has great power all the way through it. It runs clean and seems to be built very well. When it comes to hill climbs and playing in the deep stuff i see this machine being right up there with the best. It feels like its floats across the snow. But if your the kind of rider like myself and is into more of doing sidehills and more technical riding (being on edge), i honestly think the pro will be a better fit. I noticed it took more effort to keep a sidehill with the xm, where as with a pro once you find that sweet spot on edge you have total control. So i believe it all comes down to what kind of rider you are and what kind of terrain you like to play in. That's my humble opinion.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
We have XM and Pro. My issue with the Pro is the lack of quality. I think Polaris would have fewer little problems if they added about 20 lbs. and removed all the " made in China" labels.
I will admit, Polaris listened to the customer, they have basically built a "mod" sled from the factory....very light, good power and no frills, but unfortunately it also comes with the same problems that we all fought over the years on the lightweight "mod" sleds by typically having to fix something and look them over after every ride and hope the engine makes it through the day. I don't say this based on internet hype, just what I have seen come through the shop and heard from the Pro owners themselves. At least the 12's should hold their value! :face-icon-small-hap

Premium Features