• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Blackhills clutching

L

luckym8

Nov 28, 2011
Hi, a couple buddies and I are going to the blackhills the 27th through the 30th. I havnt been out there before and was wondering what people are doing for clutch weighs and helixes?
Thanks

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Clutching

Hi, a couple buddies and I are going to the blackhills the 27th through the 30th. I havnt been out there before and was wondering what people are doing for clutch weighs and helixes?
Thanks

Don't do anything special. Looks like you ride a Cat. If it is clutched for 6-9K that will work fine. No "mountains" there. Most riding will be between 5500 and 6700 feet max. Unfortunately at this point your riding may well be trail riding as there isn't much snow out there at this point and things will have to take a serious turn for the better to have much decent riding in the next 10 days. Forecast doesn't look promising unfortunately.

Last edited:
L

luckym8

Nov 28, 2011
Thanks! but that sucks. I was hoping to get some powder riding in.... My bro has a 08 ski doo summit. Just do the same thing with that? Just clutch it for the right elevation?

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Clutching

Thanks! but that sucks. I was hoping to get some powder riding in.... My bro has a 08 ski doo summit. Just do the same thing with that? Just clutch it for the right elevation?

The thing about the Hills is that the riding elevation does not vary that much. The lower trails around Lead-Deadwood are 5000 ft and the highest is around O'Neill Pass by Trailshead which is about 6800 ft. I usually ride my Ms factory clutched for 6-9K and they work fine up there.

I have been watching the Hills snow reports for the last month and there hasn't been much. What there is probably took a pretty good hit in the past few days. I would say that there is "ZERO" of the fluffy stuff right now. The Hills frequently will get a 3-4 foot dump mid to late Nov. into early December sometime. That gets the base off and on trail going. That didn't happen yet this year. Things can change there pretty fast but the 7 day doesn't sound much like major weather out there. People I have talked too say it looks pretty bleak right now. State website says they are not grooming trails until they get some groomable snow. That says something about the conditions. Sorry to be bearer of bad tidings. I would like to get some sled time in also.

sdsnocop

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2009
Hot Springs, SD
The thing about the Hills is that the riding elevation does not vary that much. The lower trails around Lead-Deadwood are 5000 ft and the highest is around O'Neill Pass by Trailshead which is about 6800 ft. I usually ride my Ms factory clutched for 6-9K and they work fine up there.

I have been watching the Hills snow reports for the last month and there hasn't been much. What there is probably took a pretty good hit in the past few days. I would say that there is "ZERO" of the fluffy stuff right now. The Hills frequently will get a 3-4 foot dump mid to late Nov. into early December sometime. That gets the base off and on trail going. That didn't happen yet this year. Things can change there pretty fast but the 7 day doesn't sound much like major weather out there. People I have talked too say it looks pretty bleak right now. State website says they are not grooming trails until they get some groomable snow. That says something about the conditions. Sorry to be bearer of bad tidings. I would like to get some sled time in also.

Read the "Black Hills Conditions" post for condition reports based on actual personal experience not assumptions.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Snow

Read the "Black Hills Conditions" post for condition reports based on actual personal experience not assumptions.

Sorry if I posted anything that was not true but I did not fabricate anything. I read the Great Holiday Prediction thread and I think what I posted is pretty much what you said. And it was based on peoples observations and information gathered. I assumed nothing.

Premium Features