• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Building 08 800 dragon, opinions please...

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
Repairing my 08 800. Has anyone ran 08 with 2010 cylinders? Is it possible to build a bullet proof engine? I am looking for experienced opinions, what you have ran and for how long. Thanks.

T

theshadowrider

Jan 27, 2010
This has come up before and I can't remember who posted it but he had the same problem but I think he had his case machined to work with 2010 cylinders on his 08 case. Maybe they will chime in or try doing a search.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
If you're going to update to the 2010 Cylinder, then don't bother machining your cases. Just buy the 2010 cases. There have been too many skirt issues for me to play it cheap on the cases especially, if you're going to pony up for a Mono-block.

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
I think your first step would be to identify for sure what caused your previous problems and address that. On my 08 (I did boost it) I feel the best thing was the fuel controller and a set of EGT's. I had maybe 5 or 6 hundred miles on the OEM pistons, rings, cylinders and changed them out at the boost build just to start fresh. I still have the new to boost stuff in after 1000 or so boosted miles and it all looks fine.

The key for me is to up the fuel in the mid-range when trail riding in or out and watch the EGT's. I have gotten now so I seldom have to look, I just know that I'll be wicking the throttle and not holding any constants in the 6500-7200 rpm range. I can still make some heat there even with increased fuel if I hold a steady throttle.

Do you have other mods that would benefit from the lower compression head? Are you getting Det. with what ever you have now. If your running stock and have good fuel, i don't know that I would do any case changing or porting just to run the '10 stuff. Maybe a little more info on how your sled in built and what issues you had. Good luck. EW

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
I'd consider a 860 kit or similar???? How bad are your 08 cylinders?

Everything is trashed. a tab broke and a rod bearing went out knocking two holes in the case. Metal went through the upper end on one side I had 2200 miles on the original motor and it is at the end of warranty. I wish to rebuild it.
I am thinking about running a pipe reeds and portingand a power commander, however I could just leave it stock. I have an 2011 assault as my main sled, and this will be used as a back up and my teenage kids will ride it. It would be nice to have it last 5 years @ 1000 miles a year.

Question do the 2010's hold up? If I spend extra money and use the PMS piston kit, 2010 case and cylinders, will the engine last? are there other aftermarket parts I could consider?

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Stay with the stock reeds, period. The aftermarket reeds do not last in the CFI.

With this much wrong, I would strongly consider the 860 kit from Carls. It really wouldn't be much more $$ than what you would spend on stock parts.

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Stay with the stock reeds, period. The aftermarket reeds do not last in the CFI.

With this much wrong, I would strongly consider the 860 kit from Carls. It really wouldn't be much more $$ than what you would spend on stock parts.

And should hold up as well as run better.

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
the 860 kit lists for 4K. I am sure they will sell it to me for a discount, but your still talking between 5 and 6K for a motor. Unfortunatly the sled isn't worth much more than that.....

H

Hbmtr

Feb 11, 2010
carnelian bay ca.
for 1100.00 or less after u have your short block send your cylinder to slp or carls ,have them ported and your ecu remapped along with your head of choice[for your altitude] and go ride.Have had slp stage 4 kit without an issue plenty of usable power.plus its not going to run lean on mid range throttle openings due to remap of ecu. imo

X

xc6rider

Jan 12, 2009
Iowa
Has anyone, or is it even possible to just machine and install steel sleeves?

Would be much more reliable, and way cheaper.

PMSPOLARIS

Premium Sponsor
Premium Member
Feb 21, 2009
Ashton Idaho
www.pmspolaris.com
"THE FIX" by MTNTK 2008-10 DRAGON'S RMK'S

How “THE FIX” came about! Another 1st from MTNTK Performance & DYNO
MTNTK Performance has done it again. They are in the business to find solutions to the problems many have been having in this industry. Whether it has been different turbo manufacturer major issues or even minor complaints, MTNTK Performance is committed to building the best products that work, period. Last year MTNTK came out with the Big Boost Turbo for the Dragon, for 2011 MTNTK has a sweet “Pull the Rope and Ride” turbo system for your 2011 Pro or RMK. They have also spent considerable time on a new product called “THE FIX” for the burn down plagued 08-10 Dragon and RMK's “THE FIX” comes with a set of new taller pistons along with a cylinder shim, longer cylinder bolts and alignment dowels. This is designed to eliminate the piston rocking in the cylinder bore which is the real reason for the engine going down. By doing this it boosts power by 5 horsepower and peaks 100 rpm higher than stock, but they did not create it for the horse power gain alone, they did it so the rider can keep riding on that good snow when the snow is good.
(THE FIX) sells for $585 and a local Polaris Dealer near you can install it. Or you can always come over to southern Idaho and have us install it.
The kit includes:
2 Hard Anodized/Friction Coated Forged Pistons
1 Plated Cylinder Shim
8 Longer Cylinder Base Bolts
1 Base Gasket
2 Cylinder Alignment Dowels
1 Set of Instructions
$585 plus tax and frt
www.pmspolaris.com can install for right around $300 or you can have your local Polaris dealer or local shop install it. Thanks for the interest in it. I can answer any more questions if you need.
We have a rental company using them and we even have them in turbocharged engines without failure. Yes they are Wiseco forged pistons, hard anodized and friction coated.
We have been running these kits since last winter and have done teardown evaluations which we take the pistons out to inspect and they look great. It has been crazy how fast these kits are going out the door, and we are building them as fast as possible to keep up with demand, Let us know and we will get you on the list. This is a long term solution to the durability issues Polaris 800 engines are experiencing. Everyone that has put one in and rode with it has commented on the snap the motor has in the midrange and how much quieter the engine seems. It makes the engine seem like it wants to pull harder and longer than it did before. Hope this helps and look forward to talking to you.

S
Feb 13, 2011
Cody wyoming
Can you run the billet head with that "fix" kit I have two dragons and this spring we are going to have the 2010 update done. I was looking at having the billet head put on, can I run that kit with this head or should I not have them do the update and just install my parts from the kit.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The fix sounds promising considering the amount of D8's that went down with skirt issues (then damaged cranks). I was always told to stay away from Weisco pistons for Polaris, but this might be the exception. I'm a tad concerned about more compression with the ethanol fuel in Colorado.

I agree with EricW. I would get EGT's if I still had my D8. The best way to guage what is happening before it happens.

Premium Features