• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HAVE SLP SINGLE PIPE NEED TO KNOW WHERE TO MOUNT SINGLE EGT PROBE IN Y PIPE

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I have a single slp y pipe and pipe. set up. replacing stock pipe. have bd box and single probe egt gauge. Heard 4-5 inched from piston, on mag side is best place. Is this true not in middle of y-pipe. Any input is helpful Thanks

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Because I am picky I would mount it in one side and run it in a safe temp. then take the y-pipe off weld the hole and install it in the other side. which ever ran hotter id where I would run it. Truthfully I would throw it out and get some KOSO Dual fast prob egts, they just kick a$$.

walker

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Ok but isn't one side of the engine hotter that the other

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
use the weld in bungs and you could put a plug in the colder side and if you get a two egt setup it will be ready

4Z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2002
Western Washington
community.webshots.com
I always try to get the probe on the flame front. Every set up is a bit different but my rule of thumb is 100mm from piston skirt. That doesn't ensure you are on the flame front, but is ball park. I like the flame front as it reacts quicker and a good running motor can see over 1300*.

The further out you get, it has been my experience that the temp run cooler. Also, it has been my experience that the PTO cyl works harder (makes more heat), triples and twins.

So, for a compromise, 100mm from PTO skirt is where I would start.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
usually its the PTO, I have seen the mag get hotter. One good reason I like the dual probs, I had a injector get half plugged and I saw it on the egts before I burned down the motor. I also install the probs on the sled stock, get some readings then copy them to mimic the stock mapping.

Premium Features