• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whats in your riding pack?

I
Feb 10, 2010
NW Iowa
Hey guys. im wondering what all everyone carrys with them in their riding packs (backpacks) or on the sled for riding out in the mountains. Im sure this has been discussed before but i cant for the life of me find it with search funtion.

Lets hear it guys/gals

Thanks

R
Aug 31, 2010
elko nv
first aid kit is the most important thing. then I pack h2o,snacks,
a few tampons, for fire starting ( dip them in the gas tank) gps extra gloves and socks and beanie. Then the normal stuff, shovel, sno bungie ie.

jzanc532

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2009
Rock Springs, WY
backpack

Shovel, probe, first aid kit,lighter,matches,water,lunch,energy bar, extra gloves,hat,hand warmers,tow rope,4 carabiners,extra pair of goggles,two-way radio and a cellphone. This is all in my backpack until I get a tunnel bag, then I'll probably only have a shovel,probe, and water in my backpack. hope this helps

K
Oct 17, 2009
30 liter Snowpulse pack with a 3000 psi air cylinder, airbag, shovel, probe,
(lightweight harness, 80' of 3/16" tek 12 rope (similar to spectra, super strong and super light) 1/2 dozen carabiners a light weight pulley and a prussik) the bracketed gak is a simple crevasse rescue kit and sure came in handy when a buddy and his sled went 30' down a crevasse 2 years ago at brandywine.
then just a bit of food, water or other liquid refreshments, spare pair of gogles a gloves.

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
HMK pack: shovel, probe, sno bunje survival kit, extra gloves, extra facemask, beanie, food, water, tools, exhaust springs, a few nuts and bolts, exhaust donut, needle nose vise grips for the exhaust springs, electrical tape, some really good fix all tape stuff, trail maps, motrin, pepto bismol, sno bunje saw, extra goggles, hand warmers, zip ties, multi tool, flashlight, headlamp, snowmobile registration and insurance.

On the sled: Sno bunje rattler with an accesory handle, sno bunje 30' sidewinder rope ratchet, plugs, belt, tool kit, water, candy bars, tow strap, some tools, a soup can with: candles, signal mirror, whistle, waterproof matches, fire sticks, bunje cords, zip ties, and a couple other things.

On me: Klim tekvest, BCA Tracker beacon, 509 helmet

Adding: BCA Float 30 airbag, tampons, cotton balls with vaseline, SOL survival kit, a first aid kit, bivy sack, and space blanket.

Last edited:
D

Danbot

Nov 29, 2007
Alberta, Canada
shovel
probe
first aid kit
space blankets
emergency candles
hand saw
snowbungee
road flares
waterproof matches
hand warmers
spare gloves
spare goggles

M
Mar 7, 2008
good pack!

HMK pack: shovel, probe, sno bunje survival kit, extra gloves, extra facemask, beanie, food, water, tools, exhaust springs, a few nuts and bolts, exhaust donut, needle nose vise grips for the exhaust springs, trail maps, motrin, pepto bismol, sno bunje saw, extra goggles, hand warmers, zip ties, multi tool, flashlight, snowmobile registration and insurance.

On the sled: Sno bunje rattler with an accesory handle, sno bunje 30' sidewinder rope ratchet, plugs, belt, tool kit, water, candy bars, tow strap, some tools, a soup can with: candles, signal mirror, whistle, waterproof matches, fire sticks, bunje cords, zip ties, and a couple other things.

On me: Klim tekvest, BCA Tracker beacon, 509 helmet

Adding: BCA Float 30 airbag, tampons, cotton balls with vaseline, SOL survival kit, a first aid kit, bivy sack, and space blanket.

wow! you are 17 really! you have more common sense than most of us! i also added a jack as i'm getting to old for digging out!

we should all probably add a committment to an annual avy course!

XFIRE800

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2009
Aberdeen, SD
wow! you are 17 really! you have more common sense than most of us! i also added a jack as i'm getting to old for digging out!

we should all probably add a committment to an annual avy course!

Add that to my list too. Mike Duffy Avy course

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
lots of odds and ends tools, and I mean a LOT, leatherman, swiss army knife. duct tape, zip ties, gloves, another top layer, stuff to burn.. saw.. lots of little snacks, water.. sno bunjee.. rope. caribeeners. shovel, probe.

I make sure I have plenty of fire starter material and ways to keep em rockin, if you can stay warm and dry off, greatly improves unwanted backcountry stays. and a good 1 way rope deal, its like a little locking deal that only allows it to pull in is a GREAT investment, Had to pull my cousin back on to the trail, it made quick work of the project. I always ride with similar people and cumulatively we have SO much gear Im not sure what you couldn't survive or deal with.

Last edited:
M

maddogwfo

Dec 4, 2007
Otis Ochards WA
Spare Brake Lever

Everyone covered things good, but this is something I would not ride without, a spare brake handle in case of a crash and yours snaps off, Try to limp off a mtn with no brakes is a nightmare, because I have been there, my 2 cents worth, MADDOGWFO:shocked:

I
Feb 10, 2010
NW Iowa
awesome posts guys.

one suggestion i have is in regards to people bringing firestarter material such as cotton balls in vaseline. another method that also works good and is light to carry and works well is a 9v battery (one with two terminals on top of battery) and steel wool. touch the two terminals to a small portion of the steel wool and watch it start smouldering before your eyes. then just add some kindling and you are good to go.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
New Addition

+1 on most of the contents.

Just in case I ever have to spent the night out and due to the ever growing wolf packs in our riding area I have added a .45 cal pistol and several loaded magazines. If you have never been stocked by a wolf pack you will have no understanding of why this is necessary.

To head off the debate, please understand that I am talking about personal defense not hunting.

F
Jan 15, 2009
Reno nv.
Everyone covered things good, but this is something I would not ride without, a spare brake handle in case of a crash and yours snaps off, Try to limp off a mtn with no brakes is a nightmare, because I have been there, my 2 cents worth, MADDOGWFO:shocked:

had to do that and it was not fun. now i keep an extra in both my sleds.

byeatts

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Hey guys. im wondering what all everyone carrys with them in their riding packs (backpacks) or on the sled for riding out in the mountains. Im sure this has been discussed before but i cant for the life of me find it with search funtion.

Lets hear it guys/gals

Thanks

I b profin

C
Feb 2, 2010
kootenays, bc
havent heard anybody mention pre rolls???? i never go sledding with out at least 5 pre rolled doobs with me. good call on the tampon idea though....can only imagine the some of the chirps ill get tomrrow when i bust one out to light up the fire lol.....

av8er

Lifetime Membership
Sep 16, 2006
Kalispell, MT.
I also carry a 3 ' piece of rubber tubing

for siphoning gas out of tank that tampon string is only so long

Premium Features