• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

RPM fade on 2015 Axys?

T
Feb 10, 2013
Idaho falls, Idaho
I noticed on another forum a fair number of guys having trouble with rpm fade after a few miles. Sounds like it is fairly widespread and so far the dealers have had no answers.....anybody here know anything about this problem?

S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Did you have your ecu reflashed? What about the other guys. Supposedly the reflash detuned the motors a bit.

Can you describe the fade????

Last edited:
K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--Skidoo used to have rpm fade under prolonged heavy load due to single piston ring trying to transfer heat of piston to cylinder wall

--Polaris...who knows

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Think he's referring to HCS. There's a 1/2 dozen or so threads on there with people having problems with RPM fade at anywhere from a couple hundred miles to a couple thousand miles (flat lander miles). There was a poll up (you know how official internet polls are!!!) and low 20s % had an RPM fade issue of some kind. The poll has since been deleted from the site. Some people tried bringing it up on the FB live Q&A on release day but only got canned responses like take it to your dealer.

J
Feb 25, 2015
MAINE
I'm a flatlander from Maine. Also a guy that has seen the RPM fade issue which still has no answers for a fix by the way. I'm not stirring the pot as I'm a loyal Polaris man through and through. I'm driving the "S-800" and absolutely love it. My buddy also has an "S-800" by the way we are the only two people I personally know that drive the new Axys chassis. I'm also an avid H.C.S member. My handle is the same that I'm using on here. "JMAXDOX" If you think there are only a dozen threads on the RPM Fade you would be WAY WRONG.

H.C.S just before March 2nd when Polaris unveiled their new line-up started pulling lots of different threads about the RPM issues. Apparently the timing of everybody complaining about the issue wasn't what H.C.S wanted. I had many threads of my own pulled about the RPM issue. H.C.S answered that one running thread about the issue was enough and let us keep one RPM thread running. Oh by the way, I don't know how many pages are up but the threads are up over 300 and the new RPM threads are popping back up again.

Polaris has acknowledged there is an issue. They have no answer for it at this time. Many good mechanics on H.C.S are working on the issue and could be getting closer to answers?? Many theories but nothing definitive at this point.

Dealers were acting like you were the only one affected with RPM issues when you brought up your complaints to them earlier this year. Pretty close lipped. Funny I only know 2 people with the new Axys motor and we both have the RPM issue that comes and goes. A couple weeks ago "Early March" my dealer told me now that Polaris has acknowledged there have been some reported issues and are working on it. He promised that as soon as Polaris has an answer they will get me taken care of. That's the best news I've got?

For me and my buddy we both lose 400rpm when affected. It's a weird one with lots of theories that kind of contradict each other. Feel free to hop on the H.C.S site and read up. Hope you have a couple hours to get through all the threads. "Seriously"

Like I said, I'm not here to stir the pot and start sh*t. I've been a Polaris guy all my life and have never owned any other brand. The reason I joined Snowest a few weeks ago is because I'm really interested in snowchecking an SKS 155 and I can't seem to get any info about long track sleds on the H.C.S site. They just opened a new link for the new RMK / SKS chassis about a week ago but it's very new and not getting much buzz yet. Snowest is all about the long tracks and I've been getting opinions here on some of my different snowcheck options. Thanks Guys.

I'll repeat... I love my new flatland "S-800HO". My ONLY complaint has been the RPM issue. I feel somebody will find the answer soon. It is concerning snowchecking a new SKS with the same HO motor that still has no answers for its RPM issues from Polaris but even with 400rpm taken off the top it's not stopping me from rolling the dice on another. Hopefully Polaris or somebody from H.C.S finds the answer soon. If not, next year I'll have all you deep powder guys helping find the answer too.

I could go on and on but I'll stop here. I'd have more good things to say than bad. The new engine is amazing. Spools up so fast and is so much more snappy than the previous 800. When you lose the RPM's it isn't a day killer but it definately pisses you off when it starts running like a DOO. I've been lucky that my RPM problems have come and gone. The issue has plagued me only about 15-20% of my riding. Others haven't been so lucky.
I beleive most of the sleds have gone without any issues. Polls I've read are showing about 20% of the sleds are affected. I wouldn't put a lot of faith into those numbers though?? My thoughts are that many people new to sledding or people that just don't keep highly tuned to the RPM gauge while riding are having the issue and not even realizing it. She still tools right along and handles the flatland trails better than any sled in the current market today in my opinion.

Put it this way to you. One of my riding buddies "A DOO GUY" rode both of our "S-800's" one day and is now currently snowchecking a POO for 2016. Added note: Both of our sleds were experiencing RPM issues at different points of that day and he is full aware of it. I personally think that speaks pretty highly for the new Axys and doesn't say much for DOO's new releases. He is currently riding an 2013 XRS 800 which has treated him pretty good.

BILTIT

Premium Member
Apr 9, 2011
Lloydminster, SK
I can guarantee if the mountain sleds have the issue it will be noticed by almost all riding them. Losing 400 rpm in the middle of a climb is very noticeable and not ideal.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Hopefully it's not much more than a reflash and hopefully the problem is diagnosed before the snow hits next year. If I experience it, you can count on me being 1st one in line beating down Polaris' door. I'm pretty persistent too lol

I gave up on winter and summerized my sleds yesterday and gave the bike an oil change, fresh air filter and ordered a couple parts that need replaced. I could probably still go out on the sleds but it would be sketchy and I don't like tearing stuff up

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Can't discount sensors and mapping on the fade issue.

These mysterious 2S fade issues, and I've experienced them more with poo than doo or cat, have become more common since we have timing and fuel being constantly adjusted and dictated by a program with sensors reading pipe temp, air temp, water temp, calculated air density, throttle position, crank position, etc and poos fuel type settings. Always seems like a takes some build experience to get these maps firmed up, if ever (CFI4 was never adequate due to design, CFI2 didn't really get done till 13, with different injectors than 11, doo etec 8 took a year, etec 6 took two years, SDI was never really resolved, cat ctec took a year, etc.) An out of calibration or sporadically failing sensor causes havoc.

Carbed sleds without sliding timing curves just didn't experience it, WHEN you had it jetted for the day and location. DPM was probably the best of both worlds for most joes and sallys, even with an issue from large elevation changes (under enleanment), but it was very predictable. The doo 700 and 800 DPM motors were probably the most consistent with the least amount of tinkering in the carb days. TRA clutching is another issue...

T
Feb 10, 2013
Idaho falls, Idaho
Yes, it was on HCS. This just kind of worries me. I'm a little bit on the fence with this sled not having been able to demo one. These kind of issues can drive a guy crazy and they are magnified with altitude and moisture in comparison to low elevation riding. The dealers seem poorly equipped to help in my experience, so it is an issue for me in deciding whether to sno check or wait and watch next year.

damx

Lifetime Membership
Feb 13, 2011
This is why me a 4 guys I ride with are keeping our 14-15 sleds and wait and see how they are.and get the bugs worked out. Not being able to ride or even see the sled was the icing on the cake.

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
--400 RPM at low altitude would probably be more like 600 - 800 RPM at high altitude

--Even 400 RPM in deep snow or climbing can make the difference between making it or not due to track speed or lack of it

Premium Features