• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Off a pro and on an XM? Positives? negatives?

This is a good discussion and you can see the similarities that most people have.

I am going to add in the M8000 153 sno pro for this year because last weekend I was able to put a few hours on one. I drive a 2013 154 XM as well. I was surprised at the Cat quite honestly. It handled really well, there did seem to be a point when leaning it over that once you got to a certain point it just fell over but once you got used to it it was great. Skis weren't as great though. Clutching seemed to be pretty good from the factory.

I would have a harder time chosing from the 14's on which sled to buy. I really like my XM in the trees because of how I can dive the nose in...but once again it is preference.

IMO they are all capable of the same thing...just each has a different riding technique to get to that point.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Polaris, Cat and Doo all build a great 800 mountain sled to the point where it can get someone in serious trouble if they don't already know what there doing before swinging there leg over the seat.

DPG

J

jay_boom

Dec 15, 2007
Southwestern, AB
Being an avid cross country and hare scramble dirt bike rider i opted for the pro 163 last year after rising a twelve the year before, to me it mimicked the feel of control i have on single track on my bike. That said the xm i rode at the end of last year took a bit of getting used to but was a beautiful sled and in the deep/steep it out performed my stock pro.

Had i not turbo'd my pro this season i may have went the xm route. But i absolutely love my pro, all rider preference..

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I spent 20 minutes on an xM on Friday and I think I could get used to it. The power is amazing compared to my polaris. The handling is better then the xp that's for sure. My assault is so much more fun to ride to me. And for the technical riding I do my polaris is awesome. But with that being said I want to spend more time on the xM that etec pulls way hard. I think I could get used to one and be happy. Time will tell this season.

R
Dec 3, 2001
CO
From a Doo guy, gone t-Yamaha, gone Pol Pro, w/ some time on an early XP & non-broke-in XM:
For rider reference, I'm ~6'2", ~175# in gear.

I've owned ZX and Rev chassis Doos, and like most things, with enough time you get familiar with the chassis flaws [or feel] and how to work around them.
The Rev always had that nagging "I want to right myself and be on 2 skis" feeling and also had a bad 'balancing point'.
The Nytro chassis actually works quite well, the running boards were way too wide, but coming from a Summit Rev w/ wide boards, and A ZX w/ aftermarket tunnel and wide boards, I was familiar with the associated issues; hanging up in snow, awkward pivot points, and hanging up in snow.....

The Pro has been the biggest game changer for me. I really like the narrow 'everything'. I put my T-Nytro into some silly technical situations (by my own standards), but the Pro takes me even further, w/o boost. The Pro feels like its designed for "1-skiing". It really will side hill for miles on end, and that is what I love about the chassis.

XP, I didn't like it, at all. The flaws from the Rev felt more pronounced in the XP chassis. Harder time keeping it in a carve/on edge/1-ski. I really wanted nothing to do with the XP, another reason I left Doo.
Now, the bit of time I've had on an XM I feel like many of the pronounced issues I had with the XP are gone or at least largely negated. The easy of steering vs the Pro (or any other sled I've ridden) is really almost bizarre, like power steering; how'd they do that? Very easy to pick your way through trees at slow speeds (on 2 skis). Much easier to 'roll over' onto 1 ski, but still, I find it tends to want to correct itself (compared to the Nytro and Pro), but no where nearly as bad as the Rev or XP platform did. I find the steering a bit awkward after having so much time on the Pro, but that is a "get used to" sorta of problem more than anything. The XM engine/power delivery is so so smooth, its actually beautiful. Power didn't feel like it was ~20+ HP more to me, but it was applied so linearly that it feels quite different than the On/Off Polaris. I'd actually compare power transfer similar to a 4 stroke, which I feel have amazing midrange grunt [even a NA 4s]. The chassis still feels quite wide to me however, specially compared to the Pro, it just feels like there is a lot more between my legs, and my legs are bowed out in a weird way, even more so when there is some snow build up on the boards. Even the Nytro didn't feel as 'wide' to me. Maybe its largely the seat design? Aside from a few weird quirks or feelings however, I think with time I could get used to them and make it do anything I can do on a Pro. Engine and drivetrain reliability tend to be largely in favor of the XM [so far].

I still felt much more comfortable and confident on my Pro than the XM for technical stuff; going through 'ski wide' [tight] trees on the side of a hill, with 1 ski in the air, for example. But that comes with experience/time, and once you learn how and what any chassis will do when put into a similar situation, that would become less of a concern. With that said, my next sled will likely be an XM. Primarily because of reliability issues with the Pro...I really hate dealing w/ broken engines/down time, which was actually why I left Doo's for a 4 stroke in the first place. The XM really has come a long way since the XP in the chassis feel department if thats what you have for comparison. If your looking for a 13-14, I think either the Pro (with proper updates) or XM are going to do basically the same thing end of the day. I'd just feel a bit safer about the XM getting home under its own power. At least a broken "flex-skid" can be repaired and ridden out.. A broken driver, engine, or failed Belt drive however is going to be a day-ender. Not that I think a belt drive is a bad idea, it'll be great when the big 2 (or is it still 3?) have them on more of their sleds, but it just seems to have some teething issues.

Last edited:

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I spent a full day on a 14' xM and absolutely love the sled now! It just takes a little time getting used to. I feel it's easier to side hill /Boondock then my polaris. I'm gonna be snow checking a new xM come spring time!

A

arcticmat

Nov 23, 2008
Tea SD
Good Thread!

First of all this has to be one of the most balanced threads on SnoWest, good points by everyone. I am going to snowcheck a sled for next year and it is between a cat 800 and a doo 800. I am leaning towards a doo because of the direct injection and over all build quality, the warranty does not hurt either. I do still love the 800 cat as my current sled is a 2010 M8. I get to ride a 2014 M8000 this weekend and would love to have a XM to compare. I have ridden the poo(2013 + 2014) and thought the chassis is alright but the power delivery still seemed flat. Like mentioned earlier in this thread all of the new 800's are great machines and could most of us average riders into spots that have a good amount of "pucker".

A
Mar 14, 2011
Saskatoon, SK
First of all this has to be one of the most balanced threads on SnoWest, good points by everyone. I am going to snowcheck a sled for next year and it is between a cat 800 and a doo 800. I am leaning towards a doo because of the direct injection and over all build quality, the warranty does not hurt either. I do still love the 800 cat as my current sled is a 2010 M8. I get to ride a 2014 M8000 this weekend and would love to have a XM to compare. I have ridden the poo(2013 + 2014) and thought the chassis is alright but the power delivery still seemed flat. Like mentioned earlier in this thread all of the new 800's are great machines and could most of us average riders into spots that have a good amount of "pucker".

It's almost certain that the 2015 Cat will have a DI motor, since it definitely won't have the Suzuki unit and they have a year on the Cat 600 DI.

blindman

Lifetime Membership
Dec 5, 2007
cat crap

have bought two new cats then my xm

with the way cat treats their dealers and now craps on michelle..

will never buy another cat.

besides where would i buy one...all the local dealers cat has run out of town.

3.5 million people about an hour or so from riding and no cat dealer????

does the shareholder base know this???????

seattle area.

F
Nov 27, 2007
medicine hat
From a doo standpoint on the xm, I feel they have a good sled over all, but still feel they could make it that much better

there is 50 lbs they could get off this machine fairly easy if they would try, and then they could give us a proper mountain skid, not the joke tmotion we have now, and a bigger cc motor, or factory turbo...that's all they need for time being, maybe this year...:face-icon-small-sad

S
Sep 22, 2013
Idaho
They are all decent right now but come on polaris SAE and metric how many tools do you want me to carry? I changed my ski stance today, 5/8 on one side 15mm on the other. Wtf pick one.

Premium Features