• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

When do you think Ski Doo will switch to a new chassis?

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
I am trying to decide on how far I want to modify the XMs I have coming. I have been trading up each year and getting good trade in allowance on my sleds but the mods are basically lost dollars. It has worked out well the last 2 years. The 12 was a much easier to ride sled than the 11 I had and the XM was way easier to ride than the 12. Even if I had heavily modded my 12 I would have still traded it in for the XM. I am just wondering if Ski Doo is going to "sit" on the XM for a season or two or go to a completely different chassis? Any one with inside knowledge?

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
MM:

No inside knowledge, but the next round of EPA emission rule tightening will occur in the 2016 model year which will require changes to sleds as well. Lots of rumours, but from what I have heard, very few current 2 strokes make the next emission hurdle so changes are coming. I've also heard catalytic converters will be standard equipment on the 4 strokes to make them clean enough....no added weight there!

I'll bet BRP puts out a new chassis sometime before the 2016 deadline, so either next year or 2015. BRP will want to get their chassis settled out first and then they'll only have to worry about engines with the new powerplants required to satisfy the 2016 rules.

I really, really like the XM, but I decided to fence sit for another year to see who pulls the trigger first....Polaris or BRP. ProRide is awesome, Poo engine is not. ETec is pretty solid(er), XM is not a superior chassis to Poo IMHO. Translation for me: WAIT.

All I know is that I'll be shopping in 2014/2015 for a 800 twin because after that, might want to wait a year or two before everything settles down again.......don't want another BOOM-bardier!

OTM

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
MM:

No inside knowledge, but the next round of EPA emission rule tightening will occur in the 2016 model year which will require changes to sleds as well. Lots of rumours, but from what I have heard, very few current 2 strokes make the next emission hurdle so changes are coming. I've also heard catalytic converters will be standard equipment on the 4 strokes to make them clean enough....no added weight there!

I'll bet BRP puts out a new chassis sometime before the 2016 deadline, so either next year or 2015. BRP will want to get their chassis settled out first and then they'll only have to worry about engines with the new powerplants required to satisfy the 2016 rules.

I really, really like the XM, but I decided to fence sit for another year to see who pulls the trigger first....Polaris or BRP. ProRide is awesome, Poo engine is not. ETec is pretty solid(er), XM is not a superior chassis to Poo IMHO. Translation for me: WAIT.

All I know is that I'll be shopping in 2014/2015 for a 800 twin because after that, might want to wait a year or two before everything settles down again.......don't want another BOOM-bardier!

OTM

I agree and add that BRP has a few more goodies that can be added to the XM for 14 that will make it fresh again. Items such as those arched a-arms that they sell in their accessoriy book, sliding secondary and the 6 arm primary clutch that will be standard on the 1200 for 2013. They could even do a big bore if they wanted as everybody knows they have been tested by BRP. If they have some room they might even add a belt drive instead of chain and a lighter can if they're quiet enough. My question to all you guys who snow checked a 13 is, would you then snowcheck a 14 with the same chassis if BRP added most or all these goodies for 2014? a new chassis for2015 is what I am waiting for as BRP will then be light years ahead while all the others will be testing new motors.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
2014, 2015? way too far away for me at this time. Maybe the EPA will ban sleds entirely by then.

Maybe we should ban the EPA. Obama, Reid & Pelosi too while we're at it.

T
Aug 8, 2011
I checked a 13 and it will be modded. Heres my logic. It is extremely unlikely that Doo will make any significant chassis changes (new chassis, not talking a-arms and such) for 3 production seasons simply because if you go through their history, they havent done that. When they do make a significant change, I may or may not want the first year. So, even if they came out with a new one for 2015, I would give them one season too hash it out. So in any case, I can pretty much be sure I will be happy with my new sled for 3 complete seasons. My mods will easily makeup and exceed anything they do from the factory for 3 years so all is good.

Just my opinion, but my 13 will be done up.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
It's my thread so I can drag it off topic. Treethrasher what are you going to do?

T
Aug 8, 2011
Sorry Matte, just saw your post.

It will have our tubular running boards developed on my turbo xp this last season, XXX Modrod vent kit, flyweight front end that makes testing some different geometry easy, leaning towards a full set of Raptor shocks, our custom easy too change gear ratio belt drive, and of course, a turbo ;)

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
You say "our" describing your mods. What company is that?

H
Feb 8, 2008
Since 2008 doo has changed everything about the xp other than driven parts and the chassis. My guess is they run this new xm fOr two years in the mountain section while they start building a new trail sled chassis that they will just put narrOw a arms and a longer track on and call it the best thing since sliced bread! IMO doos biggest problem is there chassis is based off a 16 wide track! My guess is you will see a 15 wide in the next chassis.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
MM:

OTM

Do you have a link or source for the further tightening on sleds? All I find on EPA site is the same standards for any snowmobile 2012 or newer....I do see further tightening for marine and "other" non-road engines.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
I read about th XM this spring and BRP stated it was a "Game Changer"

Not being a close follower of all things BRP, I thought the XM was a new chassis????

Premium Features