• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best ways to drop or move weight off the front end of the Nytro?

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
So I finally got to ride my sled in some good snow yesterday. All the mods I have done to it really have made it a much better sled and I am happy with the way it runs. I was able to go a lot of places that previously in more set up snow I could not go.

That brings me to the topic. I still feel like the sled needs to lose some weight on the front end. If not possible to lose the weight what can be done to maybe move it.

Current mods to the sled:
Skinz front end
K&N intake
Roest skid plate
Cat skid 162 and Camo Extreme 2.25
Skinz running boards, bumper, airframe seat
Excell Vector header, sport bike muffler and OFT Block off
OFT rollover valve and relocator

So here are some of my thoughts let me know your opinion or other things you guys have thought of:

Smaller battery and possibly move rearward (if anyone has moved the battery rearward, do you have to build new cables or will stock ones work)
Better skis that are lighter, don't really want a lighter ski that does not handle better
Move tool bag and spare belt to Skinz under seat bag
Tunnel U cooler and delete radiator (this would also help with snow buildup due to the under tunnel exhaust)

I think if I could move or lose 20-25 lbs off the front end the sled would probably handle much better.

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
Maybe delete the radiator? I deleted mine and installed a small doo cooler in the rear.

Benefits:
- lighter up front
- better cooling
- easier to acces to engine etc

P1000550.jpg

P1000549.jpg

P1000544.jpg

DSC00658.jpg

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Thanks for all of the comments. I am not planning on boost right now. There are times that I would like it but it does not really solve the issues that I am dealing with. I am looking for easier handling under light and no throttle conditions which boost really is not going to solve.

I am aware Wilmot that there is only so much you can do to lighten a Nytro. That is one of the realities that I have come to accept. That is why I am thinking of moving some of the weight to the rear to better balance out the sled. That is one of the reasons also that I decided against a trail tank, just more weight up front.

I have been interested in something exactly like what you did Zipperno. What did you pull the cooler off of. I was looking at an older summit but the cooler runs almost the full length of the tunnel. Did you have to weld the bungs for the hoses in there yourself?

Z

Zipperno

Jan 9, 2008
Nordkjosbotn, Norway
Thanks for all of the comments. I am not planning on boost right now. There are times that I would like it but it does not really solve the issues that I am dealing with. I am looking for easier handling under light and no throttle conditions which boost really is not going to solve.

I am aware Wilmot that there is only so much you can do to lighten a Nytro. That is one of the realities that I have come to accept. That is why I am thinking of moving some of the weight to the rear to better balance out the sled. That is one of the reasons also that I decided against a trail tank, just more weight up front.

I have been interested in something exactly like what you did Zipperno. What did you pull the cooler off of. I was looking at an older summit but the cooler runs almost the full length of the tunnel. Did you have to weld the bungs for the hoses in there yourself?

I think the cooler came from a ski-doo rt 1000. I did cut the lenght so it would fit the nytro and as you said I welded on bungs for the hoses. The tubing that goes from the cooler an to the front is taken from a m1000, just made them fit.

DSC00393-1.jpg

DSC00444.jpg

DSC00461.jpg

M

Mister907

Dec 7, 2008
ANCHORAGE ALASKA
first thing i did was buy a pack for the tunnel to put my belt n tools back there. i thro an xtra quart of oil in that space there now, but that ends up getting packed with powder and burying my oil (better than the darn zipper pouch to the tools tho), so im sure ill throw it in the pack too.
maybe if your exhaust is under the tunnel,(i assume it is) you could mount your battery under the seat n just get longer cables with the same rating from an auto store. they probably even have a hold down kit for the battery. the radiator delete sounds god too. i bet you could get two more of the stock "under tunnel coolers" in there if you tried. mite take some figgerin n riggin tho. not sure how that would compare to the radiator. i like the stock skis, put 6" carbides on mine and dont have problems with darting or sinking. but i only weigh 142 lbs.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
The thread on the lithium batteries over on TY has me a bit scared to get one of those batteries. The weight sounds nice but I am not sure that I want to deal with starting issues.

Funny you should say that about adding a cooler to the tunnel. I had a buddy see this thread and he offered me his stock cooler that he took out to put the mpi coolers in. I may try that and lose the radiator.

N

nytro circus

Dec 29, 2009
Clarkston,Wa
I have an extra stock nytro tunnel cooler sitting in the shop collecting dust if u can figure out a way to connect them make u a good deal on it, I installed the MPI kit

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I just don't think you can get the nytro 4-stroke light enough to handle like a pro and if you do it will still be under powered. But what you can do is not worry so much about weight and add lots of power.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
The stock Nytro fuel tank is way too far forward. It too is part of the reason the front end is heavier than it has to be. An Impulse style tank helps. Just look at the Rev and XP tank. It's an ideal place to put the fuel weight, especially if the back of the sled is being lightened anyways by installing lighter skid, drop brackets etc.

Premium Features