• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Heim Joint Failures on SKINZ Concept A-Arms

S

Swelly

If you want the skis to bite harder, lower the pressure in the front skid shock in 5 lb increments until you get desired feel.

I have run the Skinz kit with Gen III's and the Curve XS skis - and yes, there are huge differences.

To answer an earlier question, the 1/2" CHROMOLLY heim joints have a 17,000 lb shear strength.

I hope that I'm already dismounted if I hit something hard enough to shear one of the new ones. I actually still hold faith in the old ones.

My new ones are here and I will install this week for preventive practice. Still going to ride the originals tomorrow. Better a heim joint in the field, than a sub frame. Besides with rope, duct tape and baling wire, I can fix about anything like that to get home.

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
I sent my A arms in to update to the 5/8" heim joints. I just don't want to take any chances something letting loose at 85 mph down the trail.

SMX,
What was the turnaround time at Skinz for getting the a-arms upsized to 5/8"? Skinz have said its my choice whether to get them done now or in the spring. Just curious.

Thanks
OTM

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I pounded my new 1/2" ones this weekend pretty dang hard including some really hard shots off some downed trees and no damage. I got a feeling they are good to go.

M

MotoPsycho

Jan 4, 2008
Wyoming
PsychoSled.com
I pounded my new 1/2" ones this weekend pretty dang hard including some really hard shots off some downed trees and no damage. I got a feeling they are good to go.

I have been trying to stay somewhat quiet about testing, but I have been running the 1/2" upgrades for around a month now (6-7 rides?)

As most know, snow conditions are much less than ideal here in Wyoming, and it is a veritable demolition derby every ride.

I have bounced off more rocks, stumps, and trees in the last month than the last 5 YEARS combined. Some of it is a "care to the wind" philosophy aimed at ensuring this kit will hold up - thus far, I have had NO ISSUES... and I am running the updated 1/2" rod ends.

Preliminary results are pointing towards the 1/2" ends being more than acceptable for brutal bashing. I will continue to run the 1/2" until there is a failure of the joints, or any other component (i.e. - subframe, shock, arm, etc.)

I am fully convinced that the 1/2" joint size was within acceptable initial design parameters, but the construction/quality of the joints that Skinz received from their supplier was the weak link.

If I encounter a failure, I will post exactly what transpires... but I doubt I will have to. :face-icon-small-hap

snowmanx

Premium Member
Aug 13, 2001
Polson, Montana
SMX,
What was the turnaround time at Skinz for getting the a-arms upsized to 5/8"? Skinz have said its my choice whether to get them done now or in the spring. Just curious.

Thanks
OTM

I just sent mine in on Wednesday, they said a few days. I didn't even have mine on yet.

Premium Features