• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2012 kx450/500AF 2015 Ts st fitting

P
Oct 22, 2014
Has anyone fit a timbersled to a 2012 kx450 frame with a kx 500 motor. Looking for the right direction towards a fit kit with correct spacers

A
Oct 31, 2011
Coeur d Alene Idaho
Not meaning to hi jack your thread but it is similar to the topic. How do you go about finding what fit kit will work on these "Frankenstein" bikes? Are there measurements you can take or a method to figure this out? I have a friend who has a kx 500 motor in a 2007 ktm 250F frame(PDS). I told him to contact Timbersled directly and see what they say but any input here is much appreciated!

K

kell8071

Feb 4, 2013
Vashon, WA
Heres what I did for my '89 CR500 in a '04 CR450R frame:

Bought the kit that matched the frame. In theory if the engine was positioned correctly (front and rear sprockets are planar) then the outer subframe reducers should locate the t/s correctly. You will then however need to measure the inner subframe reducers as the engine casting will likely be different. In my case I called t/s and they had some spacers that were within +/-0.015" of what I was after...good enough.

The second part of the issue is the drive chain. Since the location of the c/s sprocket will likely be different (vertically or fore/aft) chain length and clearance to the subframe may be an issue. In my case I order a 16 tooth sprocket to run the 13/16 combo. This gave me proper chain tension, better clearance to the subframe and a little less reduction in my gearing.

Not meaning to hi jack your thread but it is similar to the topic. How do you go about finding what fit kit will work on these "Frankenstein" bikes? Are there measurements you can take or a method to figure this out? I have a friend who has a kx 500 motor in a 2007 ktm 250F frame(PDS). I told him to contact Timbersled directly and see what they say but any input here is much appreciated!

wonderdummy

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2007
I just finished building my own fit kit there is some good advice in this thread.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=382961
The biggest thing is getting the chain aligned. I used a laser chain tool at first but using two pieces of key stock seemed to work the best and you don’t have to buy any tools. Once you get the chain aligned you can measure the distance between Timbersled Subframe and sides of the bike frame and motor. And call Timbersled with those measurements and see if the have the spacers to make it work or get any machine shop to make them. Might also have to get a strut rod with heim joints to allow the rod to be set off center.

The only problem you would have with doing it like that is you need a spacer for each side of the timbersled subframe for the swing arm bolt to fit properly.
If you don’t have any spacers at all I am sure you could use the two pieces of key stock to measure the distance from the inside of the bike frame to the countershaft sprocket. Using that measurement and some math and the distances from the frame and the motor to figure out what you need for spacers with help from timbersled.

It took me having the kit on the bike and looking at it to get my head wrapped around what actually a fit kit entails. I had not seen a kit in person until I got mine.

Hope all that makes sense.

wonderdummy

Premium Member
Dec 27, 2007
And like kell8071 says the outside spacers for whatever frame you have will position the TS subframe in the bike then you can measure the inner ones. And if the sprockets don’t line up you could also get different jackshaft spacers to move the rear sprocket inline with the countershaft sprocket. I just cut down an extra spacer from TS.

Premium Features