• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Tkuss's 2015 Summit T-3 Mods/Ride Log

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Mike, I took the doo belt off when the sled was brand new so I have no good idea on how the belts compare RPM wise.

I got out and rode corona pass this past weekend, some new snow which made the conditions ok, but nothing special. This january has been horrible for snow in CO with no snow in sight yet in the long range forecast.

I got to ride with a timbersled snowbike today, and even got to take it for a spin. First time riding one. I will say it is much different than sledding and I think def has its place on the mtn. However I will be sticking to machines with 2 skis for the foreseeable future.

No real update on the T-3, I changed the chaincase oil this past week and adjusted the chain tension, also loosened the track as it seemed kinda tight, was hoping to free up some potential HP. However the track would ratchet on the drivers when pinned at real slow speeds, so I will have to tighten that back up this week.

Also to answer a question above, I run Texas Tea for oil in my sled, found here. http://www.amazon.com/TEXAS-TEA-2-S...&qid=1422290912&sr=8-5&keywords=texas+tea+oil

The only reason I run this, is cause it is the cheapest decent looking oil I can find. Its cost about 28$ a gallon right now shipped to your door. And by decent looking oil I mean I really no little about oil, but have a hunch this stuff is will not make my engine blow. To me its not worth spending 40$+ a gallon on other brands. Its smell is pretty odorless compared to the XPS.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Day 19

Dumped 3ft+ in the snowies in areas yesterday. Got an early morning rip session in today to check out the snow, and there definitly was lots of snow. It however compacted quite a bit so it was very heavy powder and really made the sled work.

At times my sled would only pull 7500 rpm in the deep heavy snow. First time the clutching has been anything other than 8K when im pinned, so im going to play it off as a heavy snow issue and see what happens next time out. Only rode for about 1.5hours, if I was out there longer I woulda clicked up from 4 to 5 and see if it woulda pulled rpm after being clicked up.

Lotsa snow in the forecast for today and tommorow, will be getting out and riding again thursday, hopefully in more great conditions.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Hit the snowies again thursday with CO 2.0, Snowed probably 4ft in 3 days or so. Snow was very heavy and setup quick with high winds (80mph gusts in the open up top) that could tip me over if I sat still on my sled, and warmer temps. However snow was still great for riding and it sure felt like we had an untouched snowy range to our self Thursday. Doesnt get any better! Great day of riding!

and a little video of a jump we found
http://youtu.be/3XpyWu1HW9k

Summit74

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
bozeman, mt
Hit the snowies again thursday with CO 2.0, Snowed probably 4ft in 3 days or so. Snow was very heavy and setup quick with high winds (80mph gusts in the open up top) that could tip me over if I sat still on my sled, and warmer temps. However snow was still great for riding and it sure felt like we had an untouched snowy range to our self Thursday. Doesnt get any better! Great day of riding!

and a little video of a jump we found

http://youtu.be/3XpyWu1HW9k

New boards? How you like them?

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
There nice. Footwell area still gets snow buildup as the stock boards are still in place near the footwell with these. I bought these over summer before i had the sled. After riding with the stock boards, I find the main difference is these are more rigid. If I did all over again, I wouldn't spend the $ on these boards as the stock boards are fine.

Having said that, Bm fab is a great company and have been top notch to deal with.

jjmyzrider

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
Helena, MT
I found on my T3, same as yours, the snow seems to collect on the bare aluminum brake cover in the foot well. It just builds up on that and makes the foot well really crowded.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Day 22

1ft to 1.5ft of fresh snow this past weekend in Northern CO. As I write this Wolf creek has recieved 30" in the past 24 hrs with it suppose to snow for another 12+hrs, really wish I was down there to enjoy that epic dumping.

Rode with CO 2.0 and wyoboy1000 yesterday. Some pics from the ride

Find the sleds...

And a video of the climb
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hrU5V7v51x0?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Changed back to clicker 5 from clicker 4. Much more consitent rpms in the powder. I think I will leave it at 5.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
another weekend = more riding. Got out with my family in the snowies this past weekend. Had a great time.

T-3 is running top notch. No (huge) issues at all with the sled so far this year. Been pull and go and a pleasure to ride.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Haven't been riding to much lately, spent a couple days in Togwotee a few weeks ago, but have yet to post up the pics. I got some good ones and will post those at some point.

Been incredibly warm and sunny the past month or so. Snowpack started taking a hit, but some over producing storms have freshened things back up again in NOCO. 2 day storm totals are in the 1-2ft range for the high country. I woke up real early and got a short sunrise ride in yesterday to enjoy the new snow.

I got the parking area and it was still pitch black outside..

Snow was pretty good

I will still be riding till the snow is gone, but will ride much less frequently as hard spring snow isnt my thing. Hoping for a few more spring storms as well.

However my sled is up for sale. I will take 11K for it. call me if you are interested, it will come with the stock can and stock bar riser. (262) 689-6644 my name is Tom. It is in great shape, runs top notch, and has warranty for 3 more winters and currently has between 600 and 700 miles.

If someone comes and picks it up I will stop riding, if it doesnt sell right away I will keep riding it.

I snowchecked a new 16 T-3.

Let it snow!

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
pics from my trip to togwotee a few weeks ago. Snow was setup and not that great. Still had a great time. The 3" track really stuck out and shined among the other with 2.5" tracks.

Yamahaboy701

myself airing it out

Yamahaboy701

things got interesting at times

I have a sale pending with my sled, someone has commited to buying it in early may. Meaning im hoping for a few more big april dumps to close out the season!

Im starting to contemplate aftermarket shocks for my 2016 T-3, with hopes that they will help me to continue to go bigger off jumps...

Maybe Stage 5 elkas up front for ultimate tunability for conditions in the front end and Zbros X0 piggy back center skid shock, and Zbros X2 piggback for the rear skid shock for some big bump taming in the rear? Teh above setup is a abit above what I want to spend. But ive been curious about aftermarket shocks for a few season now. We will see how I feel come next fall/winter.

Y

yamahaboy701

Oct 15, 2008
pics from my trip to togwotee a few weeks ago. .....

Man that guy on the orange XM looks good;)

Was a great trip! The T3 blew me away that trip, exceeded all expectations. I don't even see why anybody would be debating a 3" or a 2.5/2.6. Its like debating 800cc or 600cc.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Are you staying with a 163 for 2016 or you changing it up? What's your thoughts on a 154 with the 3" track?

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
I am going to 154 T-3 for 16. While most people on here seem to think the 163 T-3 cant keep the front end down, well... I think it does that fine.

Im hoping the 154 adds a bit more of excitement, aka lift up the front end more and make me work a touch more for things, while still being a great sled that will get me where I want to go.

Last edited:

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
If people think the 163 T3 can't keep the front end down, then go ride a 14-15 proclimb 153 for a day. My sled is a wheelie monster compared to Tkuss' sled.

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Went riding this past saturday. Ended up smoking a rock bout 3 miles from the truck with my left ski I believe. Went tumbling through the air, luckily sled didnt roll over me. By some miracle nothing was bent! Only damage was some plastics around the airbox/headlights, and i need a new brake resevoir and lever.

CO 2.0 was generous enough to let me ride he 14 proclimb for the day, so the day didnt end up being a complete waste.

We got some good riding and views in...

Good riding at least until...

CO 2.0 ended up totaling his sled by hitting a rock 15 miles in the backcountry. Was a long process, bending the suspension back and limping it out, but we got it out.

Some quick thoughts of mine on the proclimb vs the xm. First the proclimb has a bit more seat of the pants power, but the etech is worlds smoother and feels very refined. Like comparing a old muscle car that shakes around but still hauls *** to a newer sports car that also hauls ***. The proclimb has a bdx front end on it, in spring conditions I think the proclimb is easier to manage in a sidehill vs the xm. I like the xm's suspension better, much more smooth. I would say fit and finish go to doo too. The 153 on the proclimb was fun, made me really look forward to the 154 T-3 I will have next year, just that much easier to lift to the front end in the air and make me smile. Overall both are capable sleds and just comes down to rider preference.

BIG JOHN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Minnesoooota
Tkuss

nice read!!

if you want some help with clutching that doesnt cost $350/$450 give me a ring...:face-icon-small-coo

I also have a simple revalve of stock shocks to upgrade the performance...

BJ

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Had a great day out on the mountain this past saturday! Big mtns, tree riding and great weather!

The base is still there up high, but down low the warm weather is really taken its toll.

Looks like a potential decent storm is coming through mid week. So I may try to get out and ride right after that storm and that very well could be my last ride. Due my schedule over the next 3 weeks and the fact the snow is going fast, im thinking bout calling it a year and seeing if the buyer of my sled wants to get it a bit earlier than planned. We will see...

T

tkuss

Dec 12, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Well, this past weekend was crazy. More or less snowed 3 days straight. Stayed at CO 2.0's cabin in the north snowies. I think the pics will describe it best.

Day 35 - Friday

Cabin is roughly 15 miles on country gravel roads to the start of the snowies. After getting the trucks stuck less than 1/2 mile from the cabin, we decided to just carry 5 gallon fuel containers on our laps towards the mountain and take the sleds down the roads to get to the snowies so we werent dealing with stuck trucks all day.

Finally made to the mtn

And it was deep at the end of the day.

Ride 36 - Saturday. So much snow we just decided to ride around the cabin, and not go to the snowies. Built a jump and just had a fun day screwing around.

And a good ole wyoming pic here

And even sunday on the drive home, I was very happy someone layed some tracks down on the road out...

Premium Features