• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XPS Oil

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
My personal feeling, is that the diffrerence in price for other oils is sooo slim compared to $5 a gallon gas, $12K sled, $1500 Klim outfit, etc., why not just run what the manufacturer recommends? Then if there IS ever any question as to a warranty claim being denied, that factor is not present. If a new Pro blows up, and Polaris finds it to be an oiling problem, they can always deny the claim based on using non recommended oil. Even if it had nothing to do with the type of oil, like a pump failure or something.
You would be surprised, Polaris has a claims guy that travels around inspecting large claims in person. He can tell if you have had an SLP pipe on your Dragon even if you swap the stocker in before dropping your sled, based on the re-routing of the hood wire harness. (Buddy had it happen, it was a mess and took months to get the new engine under warranty.)

T
Nov 26, 2011
I seems theres always some confusion on what to run in the new etechs ! Some people say it says to run semi-syn in their sled , the next guy will post " It says to run / or my dealer says to run" just synthetic oil ! What gives ?! Let the debate continue !

2014xm

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
My personal feeling, is that the diffrerence in price for other oils is sooo slim compared to $5 a gallon gas, $12K sled, $1500 Klim outfit, etc., why not just run what the manufacturer recommends? Then if there IS ever any question as to a warranty claim being denied, that factor is not present. If a new Pro blows up, and Polaris finds it to be an oiling problem, they can always deny the claim based on using non recommended oil. Even if it had nothing to do with the type of oil, like a pump failure or something.
You would be surprised, Polaris has a claims guy that travels around inspecting large claims in person. He can tell if you have had an SLP pipe on your Dragon even if you swap the stocker in before dropping your sled, based on the re-routing of the hood wire harness. (Buddy had it happen, it was a mess and took months to get the new engine under warranty.)
I agree it says on the 2014 oil resvoir if you dont use the xps oil that it will denie you warranty. They have tested the oil and will perform the best over time than other oils.

800Gader

Premium Member
Apr 16, 2005
Wisconsin
This would be illegal (read below)

I agree it says on the 2014 oil resvoir if you dont use the xps oil that it will denie you warranty. They have tested the oil and will perform the best over time than other oils.

Be advised - Ski-Doo snowmobile dealerships caught lying to customers and breaking federal law at the same time. From time to time some original equipment manufacturers have been caught advising customers that the use of oils other than the OEM branded oil will void customers warranties. Of course this is not true as dictated by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act which states, in essence that any oil conventional or synthetic which meets correct viscosity grade and service requirements can be used in the application in question. the only circumstance under which a manufacturer can require the exclusive use of a particular oil is if that manufacturer provides the OIL FREE OF CHARGE! (or if the application is not intended for consumers).
Actual scare tactics were used in the owners manuals but it was quickly taken to their attention by AMSOIL INC. The language in the Ski-Doo owners’ manual stated that the “Use of other
2-stroke engine oils may cause severe engine damage and may void the limited warranty.” It went on to say that there was “no known equivalent” to the branded Ski-Doo lubricant on the market. Needless to say this is all total nonsense. AMSOIL wasted no time in setting the record straight.
AMSOIL Attorneys advised the staff at BRP - Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. that their warranty language “violates both federal and state laws regarding warranties and deceptive/unfair practices.” The chaps at BRP agreed to modify the language in its snowmobile owners’ manual.

Here's the letter sent to BRB:
Recently, AMSOIL customers notified us that when they purchased a Ski-Doo snowmobile, the snowmobile dealer advised that it was necessary to use Ski-Doo branded lubricants – or risk the loss of warranty coverage. Dealers were likely relying on language in the Ski-Doo operators’ manual that said to “use only” a specified Ski-Doo synthetic lubricant and stated: “Use of other 2-stroke engine oils may cause severe engine damage and may void the limited
warranty.” Other language in some Ski-Doo operators’ manuals said that there was “no known equivalent” to the branded Ski-Doo lubricant on the market.
AMSOIL confronted Bombardier Recreational Products, the manufacturer of Ski-Doo snowmobiles, about the warranty language in its operators’ guides. Specifically, AMSOIL asserted that the warranty language violated the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act, a federal
law which prohibits manufacturers from requiring the use of a branded service/replacement part, unless the branded service/replacement part is provided free of charge. AMSOIL pointed out that its line of synthetic lubricants meets or exceeds the engine performance requirements for both 2- and 4-cycle engines used in power sports equipment.

Bombardier Recreational Products, while denying that its warranty language violated the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act or any other regulation, has advised AMSOIL that it has never denied a warranty claim based on use of an “improper oil.” Further, Bombardier advised that it will modify the language of its snowmobile operators’ guides as follows:
1. It will no longer say that use of oil other than the Ski-Doo branded product may void the warranty.
2. When it recommends a particular branded product, it will ensure that the language is clearly identified as a recommendation rather than a requirement.
3. It will no longer comment on the availability of equivalents to the Ski-Doo brand oil(s).
AMSOIL is publishing this notice to inform the public of this significant change in Ski-Doo’s warranty policy and to assure its customers the AMSOIL line of synthetic lubricants meets or exceeds the performance requirements of their snowmobile engines and to insure that snowmobile owners do not mistakenly believe that use of AMSOIL lubricants will place their warranties at risk.

Although BRP did not come right out and admit they were in violation, they obviously conceded the issue and I appreciate the initiative they are taking to change their oil recommendation language.
We can expect that issues like this will continue to surface, and our Dealers and Preferred Customers can be assured that the company will remain diligent in its effort to keep the playing field level. Purchasing decisions should be made on product quality, and any effort, whether intentional or not, to drive those decisions by any other means is simply unacceptable. At AMSOIL, we let our products do our talking.

Keep in mind that although the interceptor meets API TC, this specification is outdated and becoming obsolete. The primary and more recent specification to look for is JASO FA, FB and FC standards which apply to air-cooled motors found in transportation, hand held power equipment and other small air cooled motors. These standards address improved cleanliness, decreased smoke, emissions and lubricity .AMSOIL goes a step further with Interceptor. This product is designed to combat the problems associated with power valves and expensive OEM 2-cycle lubricants. The AMSOIL Interceptor oil (AIT) if formulated from premium-quality synthetic oils and a potent additive package, Interceptor provides the ultimate in clean engine operation. This two-stroke formula effectively prevents plug fouling and significantly reduces wear on cylinders, pistons and bearings while also minimizing smoke and odor.

Exhaust Power Valves are devices installed in the exhaust port that increase or decrease the size of the exhaust port during the operation of the motor. This system increases the efficiency of the motor and expands its power band. The motor produces more power, uses less fuel and produces fewer emissions. Personal watercraft, motorcycles and snowmobiles commonly use these types of engines. In the past, these valves required routine maintenance. Carbon and soot build-up on the valves caused them to stick. If the valve sticks, the motor looses power. The ash type chemistry used in AMSOIL Interceptor 2-cycle injection oils are very potent and limit the carbon deposit formation. Proper amounts of ash are critical and provide excellent results.

S

skidoo_guy

Nov 26, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Amsoil Dominator for this guy. That XPS smells horrible!!! That is my number 1 reason, number 2 would be price. I got a great deal buying with a bunch of other guys.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Yes. Well actually the act says that they have to prove that you have to prove that that is the problem and brp did the test on four different oils then took pistons out after extensive period of time and have the picture showing that the other oil (competition) have rubbed, scraped, and wore down the pistons making it legal to say that it may void warranty on your sled.

I'm going to call complete BS on this... show a link to the test.

XPS tests as a middle of the road oil, as you'd expect castrol to test. There ARE better oils on the market, and someone telling people that they HAVE to run XPS or that it's "superior" in some way is doing the public a serious disservice imo.

Either way, there are testing agencies that certify oil... as long as the oil in question meets or exceeds the came certifications as the XPS, they can not deny warranty based on this. Spreading this propaganda helps nobody.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
I'm going to call complete BS on this... show a link to the test.

XPS tests as a middle of the road oil, as you'd expect castrol to test. There ARE better oils on the market, and someone telling people that they HAVE to run XPS or that it's "superior" in some way is doing the public a serious disservice imo.

Either way, there are testing agencies that certify oil... as long as the oil in question meets or exceeds the came certifications as the XPS, they can not deny warranty based on this. Spreading this propaganda helps nobody.

Ace

sledhead1

Lifetime Membership
Mar 6, 2010
With xps full synthetic at $60 a gallon in Canada, BRP can get bent. I get amsoil for about $33 a gallon. Fuel is bad enough at $5 a gallon.

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
You can only run the overpriced SkiDoo oil or your engine with blow and will not be covered by warranty:face-icon-small-blu

... you are wrong! Please READ the above thread with the great info provided regarding the warranty act PASSED BY CONGRESS....

Ace

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
So should i clean out the XPS oil in the tank or mix that crap with amsoil?

... don't get me wrong, the Ski doo oil is GREAT oil, it's just overpriced, compared to the Amsoil. You can " mix" oil. I added the Amsoil, ( purchased AND recommended by my dealer) to the first tank last year. No worries, no problems!

Ace

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
oil

valvoline from napa guys it is certified from a major oil company has been around for ever and come in quarts. you have to clean your rav valves once a year but you can save a few hundos and have a geed reason to sit in ur garage and whatnot

D
Jan 4, 2010
colorado
Will using another oil void the warranty?

Yes it will. That first thing Skidoo demands from the dealer is a oil sample from the tank on engine repairs. If your read the manual on the 2014's it says you can use blend or full synthetic but the full synthetic is the preferred oil on the oil chart in the manual. When I filled out the paperwork on the 4 new 2014 X's there was one paper I had to initial that say I will use Skidoo oil only and if not then the warranty may be voided. My dealer said Skidoo is really cracking down on this. The dealer said last year they had a couple engine problems and one was using non skidoo oil and after the sample came back skidoo would not pay for the repairs.

manlye

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2009
I had to sign the same thing, this oil smells like CRAP!! I ask over and over if I could use Legend and was told no if I want warranty work, it just wasn't worth it for the hassle. Jeezzzz cant they do something with the way this crap smells?? I have always run Legend or APV and both of those don't smell like you just rolled around in a charcole pit.:face-icon-small-fro

Premium Features