• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM vs XP

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I totally agree, tried the "inline" bars and hated it. also did not like the sled at all until I put the tmo in, now I love it:)

bars inline on an XP though shoves you WAY into the wrong position. Unless you're running a very short riser, running the bars inline essentially requires the post got forward.

I don't understand how doo guys run the risers vertical... best way to make a sled handle like a$$ instantly.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
to me having your bars in your gut and bending over all day would be the worst thing you could possibly do to make your riding as uncomfortable as you could. I have no problems with the bars vertical. having the tmo changes the position you need to be on the sled. you don't need to be as far back to get leverage to get the sled to roll. like i said the tmo makes the xp very close to a xm, so very close:) some say potato some say potatoe.

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
to me having your bars in your gut and bending over all day would be the worst thing you could possibly do to make your riding as uncomfortable as you could. I have no problems with the bars vertical. having the tmo changes the position you need to be on the sled. you don't need to be as far back to get leverage to get the sled to roll. like i said the tmo makes the xp very close to a xm, so very close:) some say potato some say potatoe.

The difference though is that on an XM you can have the riser more forward JUST like the XP, without the stupid L shape in the steering.

Talking about "low" bars is always relative. The idea with low bars is to have your arms straight when you're in a normal riding position... not to be hunched way over (I don't subscribe to the knees bent part of what Brett does, too uncomfortable for me). Some people think a 6'2" guy should have the same bars as a 5'7" guy... and that just makes no sense. Low bars make it EEASIER to ride... not harder, but that's IF you're intelligent enough to set them up right.

Some doo guys would hop on a quad & talk about how well it sidehills... denial is a stinky cologne.:face-icon-small-sho

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I like my bars set so that when i'm standing on the sled my elbows are just slightly bent. had enough of the hunchback style in the pre 2002 sleds, adding 14 inches of bar risers and having to have custom made lines just so you could half way stand up! soooo glad those days are over:)

M
Apr 2, 2013
The difference though is that on an XM you can have the riser more forward JUST like the XP, without the stupid L shape in the steering.

Talking about "low" bars is always relative. The idea with low bars is to have your arms straight when you're in a normal riding position... not to be hunched way over (I don't subscribe to the knees bent part of what Brett does, too uncomfortable for me). Some people think a 6'2" guy should have the same bars as a 5'7" guy... and that just makes no sense. Low bars make it EEASIER to ride... not harder, but that's IF you're intelligent enough to set them up right.

Some doo guys would hop on a quad & talk about how well it sidehills... denial is a stinky cologne.:face-icon-small-sho

I agree,Good post!

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Yep. On my M1000 a few years ago, I could NOT get that thing to sidehill, I kept going higher and higher and higher on the riser until I think Backcountry or someone else here told me what the problem was.
That is part of why my Pro didn't fit me, bars were too high. No leverage to stiffarm the bars to initiate turns/sidehills. (I am only 5'9".) And to be honest, we had a sh$$$y powder year, with lots of harder snow, so if something was a little off, it felt very off. I have posted it before, the XM jsut felt "right", even standing on it in the shop. Yes, it feels a ton heavier than the Pro, but oh well. When I just on a Poo on the showroom floor, then back on an XM, the difference is incredible. (For me.) Poo feels SO uncomfortable, like I need to conform to it, the XM feels like it was made for my body and style. Off topic, sorry. :)

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
a gimmick that has changed skidoo from the worst carving sled on the market to one of the best. if that's a gimmick they should do a few more;)

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
a gimmick that has changed skidoo from the worst carving sled on the market to one of the best. if that's a gimmick they should do a few more;)

This.

I thought the same thing about it being a gimmick till I spent a day on one. Before that day I would NEVER have considered buying the worst mountain sled on the market... and then I bought one.:redface:
I love me some gimmick, it's yummy.

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
This season I purchased an 11 etec and bought a takeoff flexedge before I even put a mile on it. I rode lots with my uncle's xm and got to do some good comparison. I personally don't feel disappointed that I didn't pony up the extra 5 grand for the xm. That being said though the xm is a better machine I don't feel 5 grand better though. To me the xm did roll on its side slightly better than my xm but I didn't feel it was night and day. I did notice when carving and side hilling the xm didn't get out of joint nearly as bad as the xp when hitting those two week old frozen tracks. I like how a guy stands a little further forward on the xm as well, I might remedy that with a post forward kit. All in all the xm is better ride however not every year of xps were created equal. The 11s and 12s are pretty darn good and with a few things wouldn't be too far off an xm.

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
Ok if your getting a new sled it's almost (and I mean almost because sometimes brands screw up, such as AC with the proclimb when they came out) always worth it to get the new sled. In a case like this when you are ready to sell the XM in a few years you are going to have a much, much higher resale value, whereas the xp when you are ready to se it 20 minutes into the day, no matter how much money you put into it your not going to get much out of it. If your worried about spending a few extra dollars then don't go buying a used sled that you need to put a bunch of work into to make it "not the worst sled in the world" plus you never really know what your getting used, and in the end you are loosing more money then you will with the XM once you sell. It will balance itself out and you don't have to deal with telling your family and friends you ride an xp.

J

Jermbob

Oct 29, 2010
Winter Park
I loved my XP's, 2011-12, still have one but I love my XM more. They really are not that much different and for $400 you can buy the emotion skid and your off. Its the same tunnel, ski stance, front end, motor, and etc.
The Xm plastic's are a bit narrower which is nice when you got it layed over on its side. Being a little more forward is also nice.

Either way they are both fun sleds to ride in my opinion. Don't think you can go wrong as long as you don't buy 2008-2010 xp, 11's and 12's were pretty sweet.

Last edited:

RobertTrivanovic

Lifetime Membership
Nov 8, 2012
Abbotsford BC
I loved my XP's, 2011-12, still have one but I love my XM more. They really are not that much different and for $400 you can buy the emotion skid and your off. Its the same tunnel, ski stance, front end, motor, and etc.
The Xm plastic's are a bit narrower which is nice when you got it layed over on its side. Being a little more forward is also nice.

Either way they are both fun sleds to ride in my opinion. Don't think you can go wrong as long as you don't buy 2008-2010 xp, 11's and 12's were pretty sweet.

You say it's very similar but the entire chassis is different from the XP. They didn't just put a bandaid on the XP and call it good (even though that's what I thought at first) if they did that hell id buy myself a XP and turn it into an XM.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

Funny... I seem to remember a conversation where you were arguing the exact opposite point last year against Zellner...:face-icon-small-sho

Either way, I know you just ride the trails & Meadows, so you probably just can't tell the difference anyhow:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

Get some snow down there so we can go complain about how horrible our XM's handle... :D

Premium Features