• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Etec RKT 860 longevity/ performance

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Right off the bat, let's start this the right way...

I DON'T GIVE A F*** about the "mine is way better", or the peter waving contest some love to do around here.

I'm wondering how happy people WHO OWN THIS SETUP are with it, how smoothly it runs, and if anyone has any expected longevity, or ACTUALLY has issues with theirs.

I'm pulling the trigger on the 13 XM on sat, and plan to put the rkt 860 in there, and just want to see what guys actually think of them without the pissing contest. I'm coming off 3000 trouble free miles on my cutler stage II running 12-14 psi... I know this isn't going to put out the same HP, but I'd hope for similar issue free running, and a generally fun sled to ride.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I'm pulling the trigger on the 13 XM on sat,

WTH happened? Am I still alive? did the apocalypse happen....does this mean you recend all inflammatory statements reguarding what you are about to purchase from the past.

There are other options besides the 860 BB, besides these forums I would look at all the BB options for this particular motor.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
WTH happened? Am I still alive? did the apocalypse happen....does this mean you recend all inflammatory statements reguarding what you are about to purchase from the past.

There are other options besides the 860 BB, besides these forums I would look at all the BB options for this particular motor.

HE!! NO I DON'T!!! The XP still handles like AZZ!!! :D I don't understand how people ride those things...:face-icon-small-ton

The 13 is the first doo since 2002 that IMO is rideable! :cheer2:

Cat copied doo in the handling dept, and made a (poor copy of a)doo... but from 8 years ago, if I'm going to buy a doo I might as well get a real one!!

Honestly, I've never ridden a rev or xm sled that IMO was worth riding until I rode this sled, and I actually was able to do a few things I can't on my own sled, and that was in one day... so I bit the hook & I'm buying one! Still feel the poo is the best sled on the snow... if they can ever figure out how to build them, and maybe one day even put a "motor" in one!!.:face-icon-small-dis

At this point, I'm not willing to boost a doo, have yet to ride one that was even marginal, much less impressive compared to a cat, so I'm not going to go there on this sled, it'll just frustrate me to spend MORE, and receive less than what I've come to expect as "normal" in my sleds. In it's place though, I want more than stock, but I don't want to tune, so the only options I'm willing to entertain are ones that can work with stock mapping.

I've played the tuning game before I went to boost, and I have no desire to tune an N/A sled on a motor I don't know as well as the cat. I got lucky with both my cutlers, I don't expect it to happen again!!

I suppose I'm willing to look at other options that fit my criteria, but I like Kelsey's products, and I've always received nothing but good customer service, so that is where I'm looking first.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Here is Trygstad 2 cents about the BB 860.

http://trygstad-motorsports.com/Home_Page.php

Got to be honest... a company that spends 1/2 of it's time on it's website talking about what it's competitors do & don't do doesn't interest me one bit.

I looked into them early on, but if this is what made it to their website... they're not a company I'd deal with. That said, getting info from a company about their competitor's product (whatever company & product that may be) is pretty much pointless.

btw... what do they mean by "dynamic engine breaking system" Are they trying to say break in, or is there something else I'm missing?

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
Got to be honest... a company that spends 1/2 of it's time on it's website talking about what it's competitors do & don't do doesn't interest me one bit.

I looked into them early on, but if this is what made it to their website... they're not a company I'd deal with. That said, getting info from a company about their competitor's product (whatever company & product that may be) is pretty much pointless.

btw... what do they mean by "dynamic engine breaking system" Are they trying to say break in, or is there something else I'm missing?

How about the little blurb about "hanging with the turbos". That alone makes me a little suspicious of him. Big bores are fine and will give more power than stockers, but won't touch a turbo at high elevation. Now I can get hammered by the Trygstad crew. Lol

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
How about the little blurb about "hanging with the turbos". That alone makes me a little suspicious of him. Big bores are fine and will give more power than stockers, but won't touch a turbo at high elevation. Now I can get hammered by the Trygstad crew. Lol

Well, so much of that comes down to elevation. Talking to guys riding the 925 RKT cat motor it hangs with them at lower and mid elevations, but even Kelsey will say right out that up here (11k+) it's going to be different. That's such a subjective thing though, as one person thinks that pump gas is 5 labs, another guy pushes it to 10 (I can run 10 on PG around here)

Either way, I'm mostly trying to see what folks' experience is with the 860, not really as a comparison, but real life use from someone who's not a tuner, and just likes to ride.

B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
That's why I said high elevation. You probably don't want to know my experiences, or maybe you do cause it will save you some money.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
If it wasn't specific to the Etec, I'd chime in on the peter waiving contest:D Agree on your statements w/ pump gas and elevation. Ride both, big bore and turbo Doo, but again not Etec so I'll keep quiet.

Since you've ruled out Trygstad, don't forget Bikeman and SHR both have big bores for the etec also to consider along w/ RKT. Unsure of any others.

S

snengineer

Nov 26, 2007
South Jordan, Utah
I have seen the 872 run in person, this person ditched his turbo that never would run correctly for this BB model. Its for real, no maintenance bonified torque monster. Same HP as a turbo? Nope, but it sure as heck runs better!!

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC

I think Dave replies to People bashing Him thats about it,but hey Go with what works for you.It's your money I don't think anyone can reply personal oppion on the 860 E-tec ,because I don't beleave there is many on the snow yet.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think Dave replies to People bashing Him thats about it,but hey Go with what works for you.It's your money I don't think anyone can reply personal oppion on the 860 E-tec ,because I don't beleave there is many on the snow yet.

Items posted on a website aren't replies... it just seems extremely unprofessional to have all the stuff about competitors on the site. I run a company, and little stuff like that is a sign of immaturity, and someone who isn't focused on the big picture imo... it turns me off hugely.

As to the 860's, 872, 880s... honestly not many on the snow? hasn't the etec been on the snow for 2 full years now? How could there not be many out there?

I know some of my questions may be a bit noobish btw... I really have ignored doo for quite some time, and while some of my buddies have been running them issue free for a while... I just don't pay a lot of attention to them. The Poo on the other hand is like the bad kid in the classroom... everyone know THAT kid! I just find it odd that nobody on here would be running that kit in the last 2 years.

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008

I wasn't going to chime in here but couldn't resist. First of all your comment that Dave spends "1/2" his time on the internet couldn't be farther from the truth! He is one of the hardest working guys I know trying to better our sport. Anytime I go to his shop the phone rings off the wall which forces him to work till 8-9pm at night. As for the thread that you posted that you felt was so offensive I read that again to see for myself and found nothing bad what so ever? Facts are sometimes hard for people to deal with. As for the "how could there be many out there?" I'm not privy to the 860 or 880 numbers on the snow but Dave's 872 will be coming into it's 4th year and he has well over 100 872 Etechs out west running flawlessly. I can't speak for Dave but i'm betting that his comment about "running with the turbo's" is just that it will run with them and be competative until say you get 11k and up...lack of air comes into play on naturally aspirated engines. You should try to find one and test drive it, i'm fairly certain you'd change your mind. :face-icon-small-coo

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I wasn't going to chime in here but couldn't resist. First of all your comment that Dave spends "1/2" his time on the internet couldn't be farther from the truth! He is one of the hardest working guys I know trying to better our sport. Anytime I go to his shop the phone rings off the wall which forces him to work till 8-9pm at night. As for the thread that you posted that you felt was so offensive I read that again to see for myself and found nothing bad what so ever? Facts are sometimes hard for people to deal with. As for the "how could there be many out there?" I'm not privy to the 860 or 880 numbers on the snow but Dave's 872 will be coming into it's 4th year and he has well over 100 872 Etechs out west running flawlessly. I can't speak for Dave but i'm betting that his comment about "running with the turbo's" is just that it will run with them and be competative until say you get 11k and up...lack of air comes into play on naturally aspirated engines. You should try to find one and test drive it, i'm fairly certain you'd change your mind. :face-icon-small-coo

You misread my comments. 1/2 his time on the website talking about his competitors doesn't mean what you're saying, it means that 1/2 of his print on his site is about something other than his product.

I'm not trying to down talk his product, or him, but the way he presents himself on his own site is pretty poor IMO.

What thread are you referring to btw?

I'm sure I'd be happy with the 860, 872, or the 880, but who I deal with is 1/2 the battle.

Sent from my A200 using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
J

jizagui

Nov 26, 2007
Cheyenne WY
I think he tries to clear all the mud that is slung at him thats why he has comments on his site without naming any names but thats what makes this world so great we can spend our money on whatever shop we want hope you enjoy your new xm

Last edited:
C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Dave was the first to BB a etec, my dealer has done about 12 872 etecs. All happy customers. The fact that a certain someone ranted and raved that the etec bb was not possible due to the technology one year, than magically had a kit a couple years later makes me wonder.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I think he tries to clear all the mud that is slung at him thats why he has comments on his site without naming any names but thats what makes this world so great we can spend our money on whatever shop we want hope you enjoy your new xm

That's about all it comes down to now doesn't it! I'm sure I will whichever way I decide to go with it.

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
unbelievable.....

I really have ignored doo for quite some time

dude the only person i know that talked more junk about ski-doo than you is the guy that that told me for years cat was a "gamechanger" and ended up on a polaris.

i had heard this rumor from camzilla but thought maybe his xr had run over him again. anyway, the new xm should be legit. don't know what turbo's you have ridden but we should hook up. my freeride just turned 2K with no bs. still hard to believe you can get this kind of performance with no maintenance. i haven't ridden or seen an etec big bore so i can't compare. i know we have similar riding styles and kit i'm running inspires confidence; dropping, jumping, climbing, dangling (sorry, got caught up in the newest tool inspired boondocking verb) but seriously it's good in the trees as well. combined with ridiculous fuel economy, imho it's hard to beat.

enjoy and i hope the fam is doing well.

jeff

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
dude the only person i know that talked more junk about ski-doo than you is the guy that that told me for years cat was a "gamechanger" and ended up on a polaris.

i had heard this rumor from camzilla but thought maybe his xr had run over him again. anyway, the new xm should be legit. don't know what turbo's you have ridden but we should hook up. my freeride just turned 2K with no bs. still hard to believe you can get this kind of performance with no maintenance. i haven't ridden or seen an etec big bore so i can't compare. i know we have similar riding styles and kit i'm running inspires confidence; dropping, jumping, climbing, dangling (sorry, got caught up in the newest tool inspired boondocking verb) but seriously it's good in the trees as well. combined with ridiculous fuel economy, imho it's hard to beat.

enjoy and i hope the fam is doing well.

jeff

Yeah but Jeff... is it flickable bro?????

Similar riding styles???? You mean you and Dylweed stop tuning to ride sometimes???? :p

All I can say is I'm not really loyal to any brand or setup, it's crazy making such a change, going to be pretty cool learning something new and figuring out how to make this thing rip.

Btw on my 11 I bought from dale, I'm right at 3k and finally lost a day of riding... fuel pump died. Had a new one in 2 days. If the doo does 1/2 as well I'll be pretty stoked man... and wow...it sure does kick the crap out of the m in the air, thing flies like a jart... and wants to land on it's feet.

How did you go from the stage II, and that beast yammi... to a stock sled though? I like this thing, but can't imagine riding it stock.

Btw.. Tucker is doing great man, he's almost ready for a sled!!

Oh yeah... the game changer is the XM ;)

Last edited:

scottbilt95

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
golden, colorado
scottbiltracing.us
comparisons

How did you go from the stage II, and that beast yammi...

the 2009 hcr was set up for 10lbs. my aero at 8 would eat it's lunch. the tapex at 17lbs is still the angriest motor vehicle i have ever ridden/driven but i can tell you the other day i hit 10lbs on the aero by accident (poor quality control on boost springs) and it had a fear factor similar to the tapex. it is hard to go back to 800 stockers; they feel like 550 fans.

Similar riding styles???? You mean you and Dylweed stop tuning to ride sometimes????

dude i look at how much i used to wrench and can't believe for the last two years all i have done is ride. it's amazing how much your ability improves when you go riding for 6 hours and actually ride 6 hours instead of riding for 10 minutes, wrenching for 4 hours, and then being so pissed off you drink for 6 hours.

btw dylweed aka the big shooter still visits brokebelt mountain on a regular basis. usually good for 1-2 belts per ride; it's just how he rolls.....

Premium Features