• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Who has gone from Pro to XM?

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
How is it on a downhill when heading straight down hill, see a tree line, stop, and then lay it over one side or the other and sidehill the other direction. Mind you this is all at slow speeds trying to pick your way through a steep tree covered downhill. That is the one spot where I really thought the pol shined over the cat. This is also the specific riding I really enjoy. 1- it's challenging for me because it is something new, and 2- I like looking back up the hill when I get done and seeing wierd crazy lines descending from the trees. Keep in mind I am by know means a competant rider. I go slow because I have to. It takes me a long time to make a descent like that. I plan on snow checking a 14 and am by no means brand bias at all. I know after riding the 13 cat it just isn't for me but I am really intrigued by the xm.

It shines here, I did it a lot yesterday. The best part is that you can go REALLY slow when doing it if you need to. My 2012 Cat would NOT do it, it refused to initiate the turn, I would end up going down a hill for a hundred feet on one ski, trying to figure out how to make the front end come around!

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
What year is your pro? I thought it had more power from mid to top but, when comparing 13 to 13, they were pretty even. I could ride one but it is hard when there is 53 pounds difference. They definitely ride better and steer easier. I had trouble with countersteer. The snow seemed to move my skis when I didn't want it to. I would like to ride one all day. I signed up for a demo ride so I imagine you can get a couple of hours on one. Definitely a million times better than the xp.

2011. Fun sled to ride, but extemely disappointing in the reliability department. If it wasn't for the outstanding dealer support I have received, I would probably have jumped ship after the first year.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
It shines here, I did it a lot yesterday. The best part is that you can go REALLY slow when doing it if you need to. My 2012 Cat would NOT do it, it refused to initiate the turn, I would end up going down a hill for a hundred feet on one ski, trying to figure out how to make the front end come around!

You need to countersteer, shift your weight to the back of the tunnel and give it some gas. it will come right around. The reason the xm is easier than the cat is because they still have a tendancy to turn up hill when laid on it's side. They aren't as bad as the xp was.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Rode a 2010 XP with the S36 kit on it today, gawdawful to ride compared to the XM! Wants to flop back down on a sidehill, and REALLY stiff countersteering. Rode an 07 Rev right after, they felt much more similar to each other than the XP to my XM.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Those are a few of the reasons that I hate xp's. Also if laid on their side they turn up hill which the xm still has a touch of. The xm is hands down better than the xp. The xm is better suited to newer riders than the pro. It is easier to initiate a roll than the pro. I would like to have one of each but, ultimately, you will pick a favorite and stick with it. I wouldn't knock anyone for going either way.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
My brother in law told me yesterday that he rode a 2013 PRO for a few hours and then jumped on his 2012 Pro. He said he was glad to be back on the 12.

I haven't seen any XMs on the snow where I ride. All I have seen are XPs and Pros. I have yet to ride an XM. Tried signing up for the BRP demo your on their Steamboat stop but they were already booked. So not looking like I get to ride an XM this season. Called the local dealer and told him that. He's trying to work on getting some more out as he is getting a lot of complaints from customers that they can't find a demo ride. And none of them wants to drive the 8 hour round trip to the Mesa or the 16 hour round trip to Durango for a 3 hour ride. I have faith in him, as I told him that I won't buy unless I get a feel for what the sled will do, in my element, not whipping around in a meadow next to the parking lot.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
That's what buddy is running into in Utah. No dealers will demo them, they are having to rent one for the day to try it out. Dealer here in McCall will demo one every Tuesday for interested buyers.

S
Dec 15, 2007
Kelowna BC
I thought my 2012 poo was the best sled to handle in the technical terrain ever until... I'm on an xm this year and they are better. Easier to ride, less twitchy, more predictable, easy to put it exactly where you want it, and smoother on the trail. Not that it matters there anyway, but it's nice. After riding the xm for a few hundred miles, get back on the pro and you won't want to ride the polaris ever again.
How can technical and mountain machine riding be compared when you are from Sask flat as can be there compared to where I live BC.I am currently on a 12 pro and am looking to check a 14 sled.So far I have not been able to try an XM but will try booking the BRP demo when it comes to town.I ride with a guy that ride a 10XP and like another guy said it like riding a washing machine full all it wants to do is right itself and go straight.I am not biased and will definatly be trying an XM.It sounds like they still have clutching issues un like the Pro which is always pulling in the sweet spot.Keep the comparisons coming.

ryder88

Lifetime Membership
Sep 12, 2010
Spanish Fork, Utah
Have your buddy in Utah call Utah valley powersports out of Springville they are willing to take guys on demo rides obviously limited space and looking for serious buyers.

M
Oct 13, 2009
wyoming
Very enjoyable thread guys! Man i get tired of the sled bash crap. Not used to reading this many post with out some one being a turd for no other reason than to just be one. Continue!:face-icon-small-hap

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Very enjoyable thread guys! Man i get tired of the sled bash crap. Not used to reading this many post with out some one being a turd for no other reason than to just be one. Continue!:face-icon-small-hap

I was going to post the same thing yesterday, but last time I did it jinxed it and the thread went to hell, lol. :)

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
My brother in law told me yesterday that he rode a 2013 PRO for a few hours and then jumped on his 2012 Pro. He said he was glad to be back on the 12.

I haven't seen any XMs on the snow where I ride. All I have seen are XPs and Pros. I have yet to ride an XM. Tried signing up for the BRP demo your on their Steamboat stop but they were already booked. So not looking like I get to ride an XM this season. Called the local dealer and told him that. He's trying to work on getting some more out as he is getting a lot of complaints from customers that they can't find a demo ride. And none of them wants to drive the 8 hour round trip to the Mesa or the 16 hour round trip to Durango for a 3 hour ride. I have faith in him, as I told him that I won't buy unless I get a feel for what the sled will do, in my element, not whipping around in a meadow next to the parking lot.

Funny you say that because my wife loves her 12 and hates my 13. My 13 does have a 3 inch track and has a little extra vibration.

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
Rode the new XM all day the other day. Very impressive sled. It is the easiest sled to boondock and make quick moves with...very little countersterring effort required to put it on its side. Very controlled exit from turn...not yanking and heavy sterring effort there either. Reminded me of riding street bikes. And, amazingly stable at speed when climbing bigger stuff. You can churn through some big bumps when climbing...lift the front end up and over whatever. Reminded me of riding a 125 motocross bike. Front end comes up a bit (154) when dropping under 5 MPH on the steep stuff. The track will wash out on the steepest of sidehills...back wants to pivot out and the front wants to come up. But that's just a trade off. The back end will whip out and the front will set a line on just about everything you ride. Best boondocker ever, very confident climber, OK on the gnarly sidehills. Super easy on standard sidehills.

Rode the new cat. Heavy steering and feeling when getting around and boondocking. However, in the steep climbs this sled keeps a great attitude and feel. Is a fantastic sidehiller until those skis touch...then it wants to push you offline and down hill...mucho countersteering effort required on just about everything including powder turns. Fairly tiring sled to ride. The bright spot is climbing and that 2.6 track...that track is incredible and holds an edge on the most ridiculous sidehills...just don't let that upper ski dig in too much...or downhill you go.

Doo was by far the best and easiest. Blast to ride. The track does wash out a bit and doesn't float as well or hook up like the 2.6 PC. Need the 2.6 PC on the Doo...now that would be perfect for what I like.

teeroy

Lifetime Membership
True that but really how often is a guy from sask riding in the mountains to make a valid comp. How's that winch holding up
?
lol....I know of a few saskie boys that already have more days out in the steep and deep than i'm gonna get all winter, farming is a hell of a gig if you enjoy your winter sports.

the winch is awesome, mounted it on the back of my commander after relocating the pipe up and beside the frame. the wireless remote is the cat's azz...:thumb:

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Rode the new XM all day the other day. Very impressive sled. It is the easiest sled to boondock and make quick moves with...very little countersterring effort required to put it on its side. Very controlled exit from turn...not yanking and heavy sterring effort there either. Reminded me of riding street bikes. And, amazingly stable at speed when climbing bigger stuff. You can churn through some big bumps when climbing...lift the front end up and over whatever. Reminded me of riding a 125 motocross bike. Front end comes up a bit (154) when dropping under 5 MPH on the steep stuff. The track will wash out on the steepest of sidehills...back wants to pivot out and the front wants to come up. But that's just a trade off. The back end will whip out and the front will set a line on just about everything you ride. Best boondocker ever, very confident climber, OK on the gnarly sidehills. Super easy on standard sidehills.

Rode the new cat. Heavy steering and feeling when getting around and boondocking. However, in the steep climbs this sled keeps a great attitude and feel. Is a fantastic sidehiller until those skis touch...then it wants to push you offline and down hill...mucho countersteering effort required on just about everything including powder turns. Fairly tiring sled to ride. The bright spot is climbing and that 2.6 track...that track is incredible and holds an edge on the most ridiculous sidehills...just don't let that upper ski dig in too much...or downhill you go.

Doo was by far the best and easiest. Blast to ride. The track does wash out a bit and doesn't float as well or hook up like the 2.6 PC. Need the 2.6 PC on the Doo...now that would be perfect for what I like.

I would agree with everything you wrote, even the Cat stuff, based on my 2012 PC. The track on the Doo feels deceiving, like it has poor traction in the deep, yet the sled keeps going and going and deoesn't get stuck. I thought I had mine stuck for sure a couple times last ride, but it just powered on through.

kneebar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 5, 2010
Actually, Destroyer and his brother were in the last two or three Krazy Canadian movies. Great riders!

W
Jan 15, 2010
True that but really how often is a guy from sask riding in the mountains to make a valid comp. How's that winch holding up
?
Well I live in Sask and i usually ride fernie/CNP 20 days a winter. Also ride Revy for atleast 1 trip for 4 days and Golden for 1 or 2 times a year. Also ride Yellowstone at least once a year for 4 days. This year going to yellowstone at end of febuary AGAIN but for 5 or 6days.

Guess MAYBE i dont have any info thats valid.

Im just from Sask.
Get off your high hoarse buddy.:heh:

Premium Features