• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

872? worth it ?

W
Nov 6, 2011
Rock Springs, WY
How hard is this install to do myself? I don't want to pay the extra cash to take it to a dealer to get installed. I imagine it is pretty straight forward.

Also, why can I only find 2 videos with the 872? One is from dave, and the other is star valley. No personal videos. No install pics. Nothing.

I am tired of watching the same two videos and dreaming.

summit800

Lifetime Membership
Jul 29, 2001
Graham, wa.
swap

if you have all the tools its quite easy, you must remember, you have to take your engine apart and send him your head, cylinder and rave valves, then he does his magic to them and sends your parts back with gaskets and torque specks , so it all depends on how good you r at wrenching and how many tools u have!!

W
Nov 6, 2011
Rock Springs, WY
What kind of special tools will I need? I have the basic tools and am pretty convinced that I can wrench on anything.

I worked on helicopters for 6 years, then turbine engines for 2 years, and now I work at a natural gas processing plant. Lots of wrenching!

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Up here at Cooke City where the starting elevation is 7800 ft, I am runnin 91 octane only with no problems !!! In BC I run 1-2 gallons of vp 111 between 2200 and 8000 ft. I really dont think I need that much so when I get home I will try 1 gallon and see what happens.

If you can take your head, pistons and cylinder apart, then you can put this kit in. Piece of cake.

Follow Daves recomendations and no one elses. He is the builder, he has done the R and D and he knows what will work for you.

Kit should be fine at 600 ft as Dave will build to your spec.

He gave me the right domes for my riding areas and told me what my fuel mixture should be as well as the jetting.

Runs great....several people told me today how impressed they were my sled. Torque, track speed and performance. So, i have been from sea level to 10,000 ft without any issues !!!!!

Way to go Dave !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I made some video today of my 872, 860, tp turbo xp, stock xm and other stock sleds. Its not that good but I will post later.The sun was on the hill and you cant see the trakcs. TP xp kicked azz and carries tremendous speed...I found it hard to believe that any BB can compare to a turbo, from what I have seen. Other than that, the 872 is king.

W
Nov 6, 2011
Rock Springs, WY
I made some video today of my 872, 860, tp turbo xp, stock xm and other stock sleds. Its not that good but I will post later.The sun was on the hill and you cant see the trakcs. TP xp kicked azz and carries tremendous speed...I found it hard to believe that any BB can compare to a turbo, from what I have seen. Other than that, the 872 is king.

Have you posted any of this video yet? Just want to be sure that I'm not missing out.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
Not yet....still riding !! Canadian forum ride this weekend...will get some more vid and post next week. Snow was soooo freakin deep today that i couldnt even see my sled......right to my elbows !!!! Socked in all day....playing in the trees.

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Sorry sean I just heard your message I will give you a buzz this morning .Good to hear your getting lots of riding in.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
No wonder there are'nt many vids.....it reakin takes forever to make them,edit them and upload em onto youtube !!!!

Been trying all day and very frustrating.....whos got time for this !!!

W
Nov 6, 2011
Rock Springs, WY
No wonder there are'nt many vids.....it reakin takes forever to make them,edit them and upload em onto youtube !!!!

Been trying all day and very frustrating.....whos got time for this !!!

I totally agree with that and then youtube will decide that you video is not available on mobile devices and I can't ever change it. Most everyone watches their videos and does web surfing on their phones.

Stupid youtube!

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
I totally agree with that and then youtube will decide that you video is not available on mobile devices and I can't ever change it. Most everyone watches their videos and does web surfing on their phones.

Stupid youtube!
sled Sounds good sean :musicnote: I agree too it PITA trying to down load video's

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Sled sounded good. Does your speedo show miles per hour or kilometer? Looked like a little over 40 if mph. Dang good for a NA 3'' in Cooke.

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
MPH....if you pause the vid and read the digital readout it hits 50 but stays around 48 mph

Nice, I should be working, so I didn't look to close. Hard to tell where the needle was for sure w/ the angle. Could only tell it was on the north side of 40. Never thought about trying to read the digital.

Premium Features