• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

872? worth it ?

T

tukernater

Nov 4, 2009
BC
Yup....if were to buy an etec right now, I would go right to the 872....dont even have to think about !!!
Ok testing to death love playing with this motor Here's were we
are at. We bought some ramps,spring and shockwave arms from worx53 (Great guy to deal with) special cut 433-441ish? best of both world 14.3g pins with thundershift arms 7/16 bolt with thin washer in top hole ,big brass 1/2'' bolt in bottom with thick washer.130-350 Spring with shockwave helixs progressive angle out 3.5 turns in the mountains and 4 turns down lower 4000foot range gearing is 22-49 sled is 154 2.5.I Hope this works as good for others as it has for mountainhigh.Cheers I'm so impressed with these ramps I going to try them in ALL my sleds even my 600.:bounce:Clicker#3 8200 rpm Cheers .Brian

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
Running SHR 880. Both great motors. Finally got the 880 to the hills to break in. I wasn't riding the 880- it's my old mans. I was home helping momma w/ our newborn girl. Just have to give Mini crap, he's my buddy. Different clutching, gearing, 2 1/2" on 880, 3" on 872. Setup variables make such a difference on the "race". 880 doesn't have enough miles to be broke in yet, but Mini said 872 felt stronger on bottom, 880 on top. In drags, 880 setup should always be faster. Hope to get more hillclimb, boondock riding in to see if there ends up being much difference.

Hopefully 872 will keep up.:face-icon-small-win

S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
No worries w/ either motor living. Going to be a great year. Solid builds from two great builders. Now we need more snow. We're pretty low around here.

azzkicker

Premium Member
Nov 28, 2007
Sorry folks, I in NO WAY meant to come off as bashing Trygstads product. I stated why I dont own one and monetary is not one of the reasons. (in a thread where someone is asking for opinions on whether its worth it or not I might add) Each and every one of his motors I have been around has rocked. And I have stated that multiple times over the last couple years.

I also said that one guy didnt think there was a huge difference between his Tryg 860 and 872. His opinion, not mine. Im getting the idea everyone thinks thats wrong. Thats good news!

So, this is my last post on this subject. I in no way want anyone to think im dragging Trygstads product down to lift my own up. Mine is not for sale to the public, its just something im playing with.

Is a big bore worth it on the XM? Absolutely! The sled is twice as much fun with one!

Thats funny there.I ride w/2 872s they rock!BTW everybody is done w/loud cans.......FYI

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
Liv2Play Not sure if your aware but Trygstad's website has a video, I believe if you click on 872-E-tech and scroll down you'll see a video to click on too.

M

Mach-ster

Jan 5, 2008
Well Been play with the 872R 2 seasons now and Wow we have found so many diffrent clutch set ups that real rip. We are trying Heel clickers CRA and they working pretty good anyone else playing with other stuff like Tom's 3d arm if so how are they working ?there next on the play list.Cheers

Fat Monster Torque is very forgiving!:face-icon-small-coo

R

Red-eye

Dec 3, 2008
Sparwood, B.C. Can.
Well Been play with the 872R 2 seasons now and Wow we have found so many diffrent clutch set ups that real rip. We are trying Heel clickers CRA and they working pretty good anyone else playing with other stuff like Tom's 3d arm if so how are they working ?there next on the play list.Cheers

I have been running the CRA on a few stockers.....like them alot. Only weak spot is the lower bushing or lack of a side bushing. Stainless washers wear into the arm quick.

dave@trygstadmotorsports

Premium Member
Oct 20, 2012
www.trygstad-motorsports.com

Looks like everyone is happy with their 872. Definately lots of clutching options....I still feel like there is a little more to gain.

Thanks guys, Lots of speculating going around! Easy to see through! I will be working with some of Toms new arms on our in house 2013 Renegade XS 872 BB here shortly, Lots of potential, Hard to hook up, Can not put enough weight in pins without something like his arm style product especially at this power producing elevation!! Maybe get a set to Brian.
Dave Trygstad

Premium Features