• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What is the most weight I should pull with my tahoe

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Look at your GVWR and that will tell you. That includes everything so you'll have to do the math. It should be listed on your driver door end. Each Tahoe could be slightly different (5.3 or 6.2, 2wd or 4wd, axle ratio, etc.).

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
My trailer is 3800 dry and I'm only hauling 2 sleds and a snowcoach trailer. I assume that with my gear and sleds I should be around 5500-6000 lbs. This is the first year I'm stepping into a enclosed trailer vs. the open. Its 24ft aluminum trailer, a lot bigger then my original 3 place open. So basically I feel like a rookie. What suggestions do you guys have to help me ease into driving this trailer?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I don't care what the MFG ratings are, you are going to be hurting towing more than about 5,000-lb with that truck. Period. In fact, to even tow that much with it I'd highly recommend a set of air bags in the back. The brakes are fine, the motor will struggle.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I don't care what the MFG ratings are, you are going to be hurting towing more than about 5,000-lb with that truck. Period. In fact, to even tow that much with it I'd highly recommend a set of air bags in the back. The brakes are fine, the motor will struggle.

I tow a Mastercraft Xxtar over our mountain pass with no problem about a dozen times a year and thats about 6500lbs easy not including all the people and gear in it. Already has air bags. My main concern was pulling in snow conditions.

S
Sep 7, 2010
how did your tongue weight cause that problem?

I saw a tahoe towing a 302 baja with twin big blocks on a tripple axle trailer this summer. couldn't believe it. that's probably 8000-9000 pounds all gassed up.

S
Sep 7, 2010
also- airbags. i installed a set of the air lift 1000's on my yukon denali xl.

anyone with a 1/2 ton truck should have these installed regardless of what they are towing, light or heavy. every 1/2 ton truck i own going forward will have these installed.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
how did your tongue weight cause that problem?

I saw a tahoe towing a 302 baja with twin big blocks on a tripple axle trailer this summer. couldn't believe it. that's probably 8000-9000 pounds all gassed up.
People can't believe that I can tow my 2010 Xstar fully gassed up (70+gallons) gear and full of people over the mountain pass. It dosn't get me there fast but to my surprise it does ok. Of course I have air bags and wouldn't even think of towing without them. Next year we're planning on buying a Duramax though. I love my tahoe but I'm really pushing that tranny and motor to its limits.

S
Sep 14, 2010
where ever I am
People can't believe that I can tow my 2010 Xstar fully gassed up (70+gallons) gear and full of people over the mountain pass. It dosn't get me there fast but to my surprise it does ok. Of course I have air bags and wouldn't even think of towing without them. Next year we're planning on buying a Duramax though. I love my tahoe but I'm really pushing that tranny and motor to its limits.

Tow my 22 foot Triton open with a 2008 Yukon have the twenty inch stock rims, MFG. doesn't recommend the use of chains or cable chains. Don't want to buy new wheels and tires in the rare event I need to chain up, what are others doing ?

scratley

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Star Valley WY
I tow a Mastercraft Xxtar over our mountain pass with no problem about a dozen times a year and thats about 6500lbs easy not including all the people and gear in it. Already has air bags. My main concern was pulling in snow conditions.

I pull an enzo with my 1 ton in the summer. Around the same weight as your x-star. I pull an enclosed in the winter. Enclosed pulls way harder. Lot more wind to deal with. And there is usually not ice on road when I pull the boat. You want to make sure you have enough rig that the trailer doesn't drive you.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
I have a weight distributing hitch on my trailer now. Anyone towing with a big trailer should always have one of these. I didn't realize just how nice it was till I took it off one day and towed without it.

I'll probably avoid really bad days till I get my duramax. I'm only towing 2 snowmobiles this season. I'm going to put some new blizzaks on for extra grip. I figure I'll just have to manually shift in certain areas where the road is a little steeper. Last thing I want to have happen is my vehical down shift hard and start sliding all over the road.

S

SpencerA

Mar 30, 2010
Portland Oregon
Tow my 22 foot Triton open with a 2008 Yukon have the twenty inch stock rims, MFG. doesn't recommend the use of chains or cable chains. Don't want to buy new wheels and tires in the rare event I need to chain up, what are others doing ?

I have the 20's also on my tahoe, I'm just putting some good winter dedicated tires on my truck. Are you pulling 4 sleds on that trailer all the time?

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Make sure it has the tranny cooler. If not GM has a kit to install oem one. I would also use full equalizer hitch and air bags. At least c rated tires. Get rid of the p rated tires.

Premium Features