• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

where to start

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
So I'm looking into my first GPS and had a few questions. First I can't jump into dropping 4 to 500+ on like the Montana or the rhinos so I was looking at the etrex line that are map loading capable, even the legend has 24 MB men is that enough? Also how much are maps after you buy the unit, it looks like western TOPO maps were like 100$is that the only choice for trail maps? So even if you buy a 300$ unit you gotta buy a 100$ map to use it? Thanks for the input guys!!
P

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
Ive got an ETrex Legend C. With 24 meg I can load most of idaho a big chunk of Western Wyoming, northern Ut and southern Montana.
The mapsource maps arent the best but they are decent enough to get around with. They cost about $100 and they are propretary. (Last i checked only maps downloadable to Garmin) but you dont have to have them to use the gps.
Sure makes things easier though. Kind like a compass with no map without em.

V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
Do your riding buddies have GPS's and what kind do they use?

Our group started buying them in about 2006 and prefer the peer-to-peer function of the Rino. Sure, the mapping is nice to see where you are, where you have been, what landmarks are close by, but the ability to find someone quickly is very nice. Not that they are in serious harms way, but it speeds up the time to get your group back together to continue riding. We got frustrated when we were out with guys that would get lost once they left sight of the truck. If you can round them up quickly you can spend more time riding. Or with the radio feature already built in, you can talk back and forth about hill climbs, trail conditions etc, if you have doubts about making it.

I don't propose you buy one simply on price alone. If there is one that you think that will be to your liking, save up some $ until you can afford it. Nothing worse than buying something at full retail to find out you just want to upgrade in a short time.

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
Yea I'm not really going for cheap I'm just wondering what all I need. Obviously they make some pretty nice units but I feel like I atleast need detailed maps with a descent readout but other than that keep it basic. Rhinos seem great but no one else has one that I know.

I'm thinking the etrex 20 is seems to be up my ally seems it will take all the maps needed and a nice color screen. Is there other maps compatible or only the 100$ Topo maps? I only really need Wyoming and Colorado is there another type? Do the higher priced GPS come with what you need already in a detailed map or do you have to add maps to even those?

The rents wanna get this for me for Xmas so I wanna give them all the info with the right map loaded if possible so what do I need?

Thanks a bunch guys!!
P

J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
I've been using the etrex legend for a few years now with good luck. My screen is just starting to go out. Next time I would opt for the Color Hcx version w/ sd card slot. The screen is a little small for my liking but it also has better battery life than most other units which is a huge plus unless you have an accessory plug on your sled. Also, the small size is easily stuffed in a pocket when the conditions warrant, still works inside my pocket.

S
Mar 16, 2008
Idaho
I use the Garmin eTrex Vista HcX with the 1:24,000 Topo US mapping package (more detail than the 1:100,000). I have purchase several for work in addition to my personal one. Best pricing I've found is from Amazon.com ($217 current price). Map packages are about $95-$100 on either DVD or micro SD card. I recommend the DVD since it covers a much larger area. The eTrex is limited to 120 map segments so you can't get the whole DVD on a microSD card. I am able to get all of Idaho and the western half of Montana and Wyoming on one 4GB card and still have plenty of room for saving tracks.

P

P Money

Nov 29, 2010
Denver, CO.
So the etrex comes with a base map and I am going to add a 100k, is there anything else I need to track and save waypoints? Also where is the best place to get trail maps to overlay like for snowy range in WY?
thanks for the help!
P

randyman

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Western Washington
Have been using the rino 530 for a while. If you could talk your buddies into buying one you would be surprised how much more enjoyable your sledding experience would be. being able to communicate and find out if a buddy needs assistance or whatever made a huge difference for me and the family. Just my 2 cents. Randy......

Premium Features