• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Home made octane boost?

Mar 22, 2009
Has anyone tried or had some success in blending Toluene and 2 stroke oil for a way cheaper octane booster? Have heard it increases the octane from 91 to over 105 in a 20% concentration ratio. Tell me what you think or know?

M

mynewuseddoo

May 28, 2009
Shuswap
Why? Just run av gas, cheap. Not sure why people keep beating this horse......

1000, do you need any more than 100 octane for your boost level and altitude?

mountain_tamer

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Rimbey, Alberta
AV gas or even run Torco Accelerator, its not that much and it will bump your Octane from 91 to 105.
About 20.95 US per 5Gal will get you 105 Octane if you mix it in 10 Gal then you get 102 Octane

J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
If you are looking to end up at 100 Octane just run 100ll Avgas, It is high quality and will work better than any octane boost you put in 91 car gas. The car gas is not dependable octane to start with.

After all the reserch I have done on fuel. If I were to put a Turbo on my sled I would have the kit designed around the use of 100ll Avgas. That way I know tha I would have the most consitant fuel octane rating avalible at the best price. With no worries of mixing anything or depending on car gas to be of good quality. I have a friend that lost his pump gas motor to poor fuel (car gas) quality just a few weeks ago.

Jason

Thunder101

Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Yep done lots of reading on this topic.
2X " 100ll Avgas, It is high quality and will work better than any octane boost you put in 91 car gas "
BTW long thread in the perf section on this. DIY do it your self octane boost

R

Rrrrrrandyw

Dec 9, 2010
Ogden, Utah
I am new to the snowest forum, and really glad I found this place. Very, very cool. Sounds like this has been talked about quite a bit. However, I can't find anything about it. I am running a 700 VES Polaris motor, with a Mitsubishi Evo turbo. I am also running it on Avgas (100LL) The guy I got it from said he ran nothing but Av in it the whole 2 years he rode it. He also said it ran at 13 lbs of boost. I was nervous and tore the top end down to do new pistons, I found absolutely no damage or indication of detonation after I took it apart. However, I installed new pistons anyway. I have ridden it 4 times since then, with no reliability issues at all, but have only seen it make a max of 10 lbs of boost. I was thinking about turning up the boost for a little grudge match with a friend of mine and was considering adding Toluene or Xylene to the Avgas. Has anyone played with this combo?

Last edited:
W

wasatchcomm

Aug 17, 2009
Pinedale wy.
What kind of boost can I guy run on straight AV gas with BDs RG 800 kit?

i have a 2010m8 with the bd rg kit, running straight avgas, i have turned it up to 9lbs @4k-5k, with no problems.....
i have the intercooler also so that makes a difference as well.
i think at 4k-5k i could probably get up to 10-11lbs with straight avgas.

mbms on here has the same kit on a 2011 m8 and he has hit the det sensor with avgas around 11lbs at similiar elevation...

i will say that at 9lbs at my elevation it was a little to much to use while boondocking, sled would get away from me at times, so i run it around 7lbs, way more friendly, on my arms too :face-icon-small-win

G

Gobig510

Nov 26, 2010
Colorado
Av gas

I have an 08 M8 Boondockers race gas, my boost actuator is a minimum of 13lbs, so I pretty much just run it on that minimum all the time, and its the most fun I've ever had. Anyway, I run straight av gas all the time, no sign of det, nice golden brown plugs and pistons... However, I run 8000ft++ in elevation. I will NEVER buy race gas again unless I'm trying to run 15lbs at lower elevation, then its probably going to have to be some 112++. I've had two different M8 Turbos, ran them both with 100LL and never a problem... I even turned one of them up to 17lbs at 9,000ft. Didn't keep her there for long cause I was chicken, but no problems with that either...

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
does this ring any bells with you AV gas users? my buddy told me he had to switch his fuel lines after running his sled on AV gas for a while, something about the fuel making them hard and brittle (no longer flexible). He said there is a blue fuel line out there that will remain flexible and unaffected by the AV gas, is this true, and if so you may want to let others know, unless it's common knowledge or something, i know i'd never heard of it before.

Premium Features