• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to De-tune a 91 PhazerII

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
I Have a 1991 Phazer II STR that I want to make more ridable for a young rider. It hits too hard out of the hole for him. I wondering if I should change jetting(fatten it up) or clutching(spring,wts) or gearing changes, to mellow it out. The sled is going to be used by grandma as well, so I really need to find a way to not rip her arms out!. The sled will be run at 9000 to 12000 ft. thank you for any advice!

T
Dec 25, 2007
One thing you could do is readjust the suspension such that there is much less hook-up out of the hole. Just tighten up the limiter straps (are there any on this model?) or any adjustment you can make to keep the weight on the skis a little more. Won't cost a dime, you can toy around with it until you get it right, and won't dump anyone off the back either...

I also agree with the gearing...messing with the carbs will just make the experience less fun for all involved as the sled won't idle, it'll smoke like a 40s movie, and won't act right on top either.

Hope the little sport likes his (assuming here) new ride!:clap2:

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
Thanks for the ideas? I will regear and play with suspension-What about clutch springs, I'm thinking if I have a spring that engaged at a lower RPM it would take some of the hit out? Is this correct?

Lt Rascal

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2004
Nibley, Utah
I would leave the gearing a lone. Just switch to a softer primary spring. It will effect the overall performance of the sled but not as bad as gears will. It is easy to change back in a couple minutes. Keep the old one for when you are ready to pump it back up as the little ones get bigger.

..SNAKEBIT..

Lifetime Membership
Jun 24, 2004
Iowa
I would agree leave suspension alone and work on the clutches
a lower preload on the primary spring should help, maybe you can look and post the spring color, sounds like someone has installed a stiffer spring

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
not to be mean but it will be a good way to learn throttle control. unless he/she is to young and likes to pin it.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
It has the Yamaha high elevation spring brown/white the stock sea level spring is green/yellow I think I will give that a try-He is coming off a Ovation I just want the transition to be smooth(his mom thinks the phazer is to much sled) and I hate when she is right. Thanks for all your input!

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
When I was concerned about our kids and the Phazer, I put a spacer under the throttle to keep it away from full power. They got used to everything pretty quick and I then I removed it.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
LoneViper- How did you attach the washer- I would like to have a way that I could take it off and put it back in on the trail. So if it's loading up I clear it out. Thanks for the idea!

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
I just attached it to the grip under the throttle and shaped it so it would fit inside of the throttle lever. Not to complicated and it didn't stay on too long, kids got used to the sled pretty quick.

A

Adobe-Al

Nov 9, 2008
Montrose,Co
LoneViper-Thanks I was thinking about putting it on the backside of the throttle, but the grip is a lot better spot.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
put a hose clamp on the bar for a throttle block. you can move it further out (to get more throttle) when he is getting used to it. when your driving you can just take it off. oh make sure the screw part is to the thumb. how old is the kid? his mom will be telling him he always has too much sled lol my mom does and im 33 lol

Premium Features